Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 28, 2012   #61
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Gone for a few days and nobody came over to get any while I was gone, so I've got an all day job tomorrow processing tomatoes. Picked a couple of rows this afternoon and took pictures of these newly ripened varieties.

Marmande Garnier Rouge - This one weighed 15 oz, very pretty tomato

Beauty Blanc

Tlacolula

Yellow Furry Boar - managed to get decent focus so you can see the fuzz on the skin

Federle

AAA Sweet Solano

Earl Of Edgecombe

Venetian Marketplace

Viva Lindsey’s White Kentucky

White Wax

Anna Russian

Absinthe

Pale Perfect Purple

Unnamed #1- A yellow with blue skin features From Tom Wagner's Searching for the Blue Zebra category

Unnamed #2- Another yellow with blue skin speckles From Tom Wagner's Searching for the Blue Zebra category
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2012   #62
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktutt View Post
Gone for a few days and nobody came over to get any while I was gone...
Next time you are going to be gone for a few days, you just let me know. I'll volunteer to come over and pick some!

Last edited by babice; July 29, 2012 at 12:05 AM. Reason: spelling
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2012   #63
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I wish I had this time! I thought someone who cans was coming over and I'd find them pretty much picked over, but they didn't come. The only other person who was here picked 3 tomatoes, which didn't make a dent.

Oh well, I'll get a good start on my canning tomorrow.
Old July 29, 2012   #64
Mashman
Tomatovillian™

Just amazing stuff Mark.
Mashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2012   #65
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

And I thought I was having a good year....

Just beautiful.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2012   #66
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
Just amazing stuff Mark.
Thanks! This year has been a lot of work, but I got to try a very large number of tomato varieties in a rainbow of colors, sizes and shapes.

I culled the majority of the Caribbean tomato varieties today. Most of them turned out to be nothing all that special, although I have found three currant types and a couple of interesting processing tomatoes from Puerto Rico and Cuba that I'll grow out again next year.

No pictures today as I was going through the red processing tomatoes, most of which look pretty similar. I'll pick the rest of the trial garden tomorrow and probably have some more pics tomorrow.
Old July 31, 2012   #67
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Mark, you did a fabulous job this year, your garden must be heaven! So many pretty varieties, and of course, so much work that goes along with that! Thanks for sharing those photos with us, it was a lovely break from my workday to look at all those gorgeous tomatoes!

You are in zone 5, I'm in zone 6B, and I haven't had the ripening you have yet! I'm jealous.....
Old August 4, 2012   #68
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Well, I think with two or three more days I may finally be through all of my first flush of tomatoes, a pity so many of them ended up going for sauce. I currently have a crockpot full of white tomato puree, which will be fun to turn into a creamy tomato soup that will surprise someone.

Here is a off plant picture of Téton de Venus Blanc - most of them do have the nipple namesake tip and it turns a bit pink when the fruit is ripe. My wife has had some good fun teasing me about these.

Another meaty white type is White Oxheart. This one is larger than Téton de Venus Blanc and doesn't have the tip.

Lehrertomate, which translates as Teachers Tomato was sent to me by Clara this year. My wife is currently going back to school to be a math teacher so I was excited to try this one. Most of the fruit is large, in the 1 pound range.

Muddy Waters - Someone had asked to see this one sliced. I really like this one, the flavor is nice and balanced, not quite as zippy as green zebra. There is some striping in the blue skin and as you see they can get quite dark.

I believe I'd taken pictures of these next two on the plants, but not a close up.

This is one from Tom's Searching for the Blue Zebra mystery seeds, a yellow with a blue cap.

And another yellow from that same pack of seeds, this one is smaller and is just speckled/streaked with blue.
Old August 5, 2012   #69
clara
Tomatovillian™

Mark, I like your way of taking photos very much!

I'm a bit astonished about the yellow shoulders of your Lehrertomate - mine (last year) didn't have any. Can't say it for this year, not ripe yet... I hope you will enjoy the taste! clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2012   #70
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Mark, gorgeous pictures, vibrant colors and very appetizing bounty... I am so happy that you have a great season! This thread is a real treasure and I enjoyed it very much. Not sure how I missed it at the first place...

We are far behind this year, and LB is threatening my tomatoes, so I pray there is no rain in the next couple of weeks and they they mature fruit before they are killed by the disease.

Tatiana's TOMATObase

Last edited by Tania; August 5, 2012 at 10:31 AM.
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2012   #71
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clara View Post
Mark, I like your way of taking photos very much!

I'm a bit astonished about the yellow shoulders of your Lehrertomate - mine (last year) didn't have any. Can't say it for this year, not ripe yet... I hope you will enjoy the taste! clara
Thanks! At various points in my life photography has been a hobby of mine, and it helps when it's a subject you're passionate about. ;-)

I think the yellow shoulders are likely a touch of sunscald. I prune all the plants in the trellis garden to two leaders and that garden gets 14+ hours of sun a day. I'll be having it for lunch today, after I strip the seeds out of half of it... ;-)
Old August 5, 2012   #72
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Mark, gorgeous pictures, vibrant colors and very appetizing bounty... I am so happy that you have a great season! This thread is a real treasure and I enjoyed it very much. Not sure how I missed it at the first place...

We are far behind this year, and LB is threatening my tomatoes, so I pray there is no rain in the next couple of weeks and they they mature fruit before they are killed by the disease.
Thank you! I'll cross my fingers for you. I'm hoping that the constant rain stops here as well, I still have a number of varieties to photograph this year but most of the fruits that have ripened recently haven't been terribly photogenic. A few of the plants are starting to look like they have a foilage disease, so I need to get out there and start culling things before it spreads.
Old August 6, 2012   #73
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

These first two were actually taken back on July 15th, I'm starting to find where I've taken pictures and not archived them yet... Maybe I overreached a little this year

Pink Boar

Limmony

Malakhitovaya Shkatulka

Beauty King

Polish Linguisa

Brandywine From Croatia

From my Caribbean variety project : Tomate Cocina - LYC 3532, a Cuban paste tomato

And my tomato salesgirl with a sample basket of pretty small tomatoes.
Old August 6, 2012   #74
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Really great pics Mark, and lot's of variety.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2012   #75
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

More varieties from today.

Lithuanian Crested Pink

Zapotec Pleated

Green Giant

Nicoviotis Orange

Vorlon

Cosmonaut Volkov

Manyel - I thought it might be fun to show the contrast between the Helsing ★★★★★★★★ Blues in the background here.

Russian Cossack (2) - One of the plants is putting out more and larger fruits than the others, so I'm saving seeds of this variety from it (I'm not sure which generation the seeds are, it's another Tom Wagner variety). There is a lot of variability, fruit sizes range from 4-15oz, but all of the large ones are badly cracked so the picture is of a 5oz one that wasn't too bad.

Aunt Gertie's Gold

GLL - Green When Ripe Heart ? - More variability from Tom's Green Lantern Lights seeds. The last of my plants is putting out 2-4oz hearts.

Berkely Tie-Dye

Ugly Tie Die Twins - Plenty of ugly ones in the garden too, I thought I had 5 BTD fruits ripening, but when I went to pick them I found the one above and these two.