Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 27, 2008   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Fall plants

I am only growing 6 plants this fall and have only one with fruitset. Temps are a little cooler than this time last year yet most plants already had fruitset by this time. I have a lot of blossom drop going on despite the more favorable conditions. Just wondering where everyone else is with their fall crop.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2008   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Cherries are setting -- Sungold and Belorusian Early. That's about it.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2008   #3
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Fall garden profile.

Potted Plants

2 BWS Carolyn
4 Brads black heart(in a single 15 gal pot)
2 Earls Faux
1 spudakee
8 various Dwarfs

In The ground

2 spudakee
2 cherokee purple
9 Brandy boy F3
10 Sungold X CP F2
6 Sungold X Indian stripe F2

Only a few of the Dwarf plants have set so far. However, temps are good, and the plants are loaded with flowers. October is usually the time when my fall plants load up. One note, my container plants look far better than any of the ones I have in the ground. Cheers.
Old September 28, 2008   #4
robin303
Tomatovillian™

I have about 6 out now but the fall equinox moved so fast, now they are in partial shade of all things. Looks like I need to prune some trees.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2008   #5
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I've got a total of 40 plants in, and almost all of them have fruit set now. Daytime temps were much cooler than normal for about a week after Ike, but then it got hot again (for me). However, nights remained cool, so that helped a lot. I've also been shaking the plants most days to help with pollination. In the last few days, day temps have again cooled off here to low 90's - mid 80's.

No rain recently, so little or no early blight on the plants. Lots of leaf miners, though.

Of the larger fruited, Break O'Day has the most set by far. Others doing particularly well include Black Early, Vodar, Black and Brown Boar, Monomakh's Hat, and Marizol Korney. Momotaro, Summer Sunrise, Summertime Green, and Indiana Red have the least and just recently started to show some set.

Planting dates: Most tomato plants went in 8/17 -19, but I did 3-4 last minute containers on 8/27. Cukes were planted 8/19, and were started in 4" pots about ten days prior. Bush beans (Dragon Tongue) were sowed 9/12.

Picked my first cuke on Friday (9/26), several more since then.

Edit, here's my variety list:
Belorusian Early
Black and Brown Boar
Black Cherry
Black Early
Bloody Butcher
Brandysweet Plum
Break O' Day
Happy F5 (#2051) - saved seed from F4
Indiana Red
Japanese Hybrid Yellow Cherry
Marizol Korney
Momotaro
Monomakh's Hat
Moskvich
Mountain Princess
Purple Haze F3
Sleezy A F3 (#2087)
Sleezy B F4 Bruce's Purple RL1
Summer Sunrise F6
Summertime Green F5
Sungold F1
Tipsy F3 PL yellow (my selection from the F2)
Vodar
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2008   #6
eltex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze View Post
Of the larger fruited, Break O'Day has the most set by far. Others doing particularly well include Black Early, Vodar, Black and Brown Boar, Monomakh's Hat, and Marizol Korney. Momotaro, Summer Sunrise, Summertime Green, and Indiana Red have the least and just recently started to show some set.
Suze, have you tried the Black and Brown Boar before? I have been very interested in this variety, but I don't think the seeds are available commercially anymore. If you have tried them, what do you think of them?
Thanks
Old September 29, 2008   #7
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltex View Post
Suze, have you tried the Black and Brown Boar before? I have been very interested in this variety, but I don't think the seeds are available commercially anymore. If you have tried them, what do you think of them?
Thanks
I've been growing this variety for a couple of years and I have a very high opinion of it. Pretty, productive, tasty, and sets well in hot weather.

Brad Gates/Wild Boar Farms is the only commercial source (so far) that I know of, but I don't think he'll be opening his online storefront for business until later in the year (?) I can send you some seeds if you send me a PM.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2008   #8
creister
Tomatovillian™

I have 6 plants in HEB's.

Thessoliniki
Super Sioux
Black Cherry
Sungold
Riesenstruabe
Green Grape

They are all setting fruit, nothing ripe yet. I also have Aunt Ginny's Purple from the spring in a raised bed. It has blossoms, but no fruit. The other plants are all new transplants. I think Black Cherry is suffering from Blight.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2008   #9
Linda10
Tomatovillian™

I have only 6 for fall. Had 144 this summer and I need a break.

Purple Haze F2 - only planted one to see what I would get. Mine seems to have variable size green fruit, from medium cherry to small saladette size. This was the first to set fruit.

NOT Aurora - This is a PL plant from seeds that were supposed to be RL Aurora. The packet seemed to have about equal amounts of PL and RL, so the first year I grew out both. I preferred the PL, so this is the third year I have grown this out. These have grown out only PL since that first year, but I still germinate about 6 to check if any RL seeds are still in there. This was my 2nd to set fruit, only 2 days after Purple Haze.

Sara's Galapagos - Set fruit 3 weeks after the first two. I usually wouldn't grow this in the fall, but my garden had a lot of bee activity this year and I still need to save fresh seed so I can continue to offer this in SSE.

Green Doctors - No fruit set yet. Growing for fresh seed for SSE.

Black Cherry - No fruit set. Growing to compare to Purple Haze for flavor. This is one of my favorite cherries.

Dreamy F3 #35 - seed from regular sized plant, not Dwarf. This one had a lot of the characteristics I was searching for, but wasn't a dwarf. I grew out about 50 seeds, and think I may have a dwarf among them. Now if it only keeps the other desired traits!
Old October 1, 2008   #10
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Just MHO, comparing Black cherry to purple haze..... like comparing early girl to Brandy wine sudduth.....the taste is not even in the same galaxy. Good times.
Old October 1, 2008   #11
flipt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze View Post

Bush beans (Dragon Tongue) were sowed 9/12.
Hi Suze - what do you think of Monomakh's Hat? I just planted mine out in the garden.
Out of all my seedlings, I've had growth problems (after xplanting up to sm pots) with Indiana Red and Linnie's Oxheart (from Big Red) - they look really droopy while everything else has looked good. How'd yours do?

Have about 35 plants out in the garden with another 25 or so to go in the next week or two - 35 vars total.

Beans - Dragon Tongue was great for me last year. Grew well and produced a lot. I just recently sprouted about 30 plants of Fin de Bagnols, a new one for me. In a few weeks I'll be doing Rocquencourt.

Flip
flipt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2008   #12
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_chemist View Post
Just MHO, comparing Black cherry to purple haze..... like comparing early girl to Brandy wine sudduth.....the taste is not even in the same galaxy. Good times.
Wow! so Purple Haze is that much better than Black Cherry? While Im not big into cherries, I really like BC. Looks like I need to get some PH seeds
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2008   #13
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

i find Purple Haze to taste just a little better than Black Cherry, but much more productive. If you have room, grow both. This is based on tasting ones grown by Suze. I have not grown Purple Haze. And keep in mind that the original was a hybrid so I guess we're up to F4 now?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old October 2, 2008   #14
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Feldon,

Had a 6 foot tall purple haze F1 plant(the real deal) and a ten foot high 5 foot wide black cherry monster this year. To be blunt I had so many delicious haze that the black cherry were pretty much only good for saving seed and compost...To be nice, the black cherries are good but really not even in the same galaxy as purple haze with respect to depth of flavor and overall deliciousness. JMHO.
Old October 2, 2008   #15
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately there is no production of F1 seed for Purple Haze so once the seeds are gone, that's it.