Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old October 9, 2013   #1
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Default Petite Ornamental Upright Hot Peppers?

I want to line my flower bed with small, ornamental hot pepper plants that are also good for eating. Be a plus if it was colorful early in the summer as we have short summers. I love Chinese Five Color but the plant is fairly large. I saw a Poinsettia Pepper plant and love the look of it.

Please suggest some cute, pepper plants that are big with color on a small plant.
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2013   #2
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

I grew Thai or "Birdseye" peppers this year. They have about a 10" diameter and are about 6-8 inches high. Covered with green to orange to red peppers, but they are too hot for my taste.

I tried to find a picture on the internet of my plants and was begining to think I had mislabeled seeds, but I finally found it.

http://www.homegrown-peppers.com/chi...i-hot-peppers/

Most of the pictures you'll find are another variety called Giant Thai Hot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Thai_peppers.jpg

Last edited by saltmarsh; October 10, 2013 at 12:06 AM.
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2013   #3
JoParrott

I grow Fish peppers- they are an old Heirloom- white & green variegated foliage, and very hot peppers that will be variegated too- turn red eventually. The plante are only 2 feet tall, and are beautiful- I have them in with red geraniums in front of my house this year. I will have seeds if you are interested, just send me a message.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0030.JPG (318.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0032.JPG (313.8 KB, 41 views)
Old October 9, 2013   #4
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

I will give these a shot!

I think I am swooning over that Fish Pepper! It is so pretty! I would love some seeds! I will send you a pm. Maybe I have something you want. I just ordered a bunch of pepper seeds so I will let you know what I have.

Keep 'em coming!
Old October 10, 2013   #5
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Black Pearl. Even as seedling the plants are dark. I bought my seed from here.
https://www.nicholsgardennursery.com...hp?pid840.html
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2013   #6
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I have just what you need. Covered with tiny red and purple peppers. I can send you some seeds if you pm me your address.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2013   #7
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I grew the numex twilights this year ( i received them from the seed exchange on here) and they are beautiful and colorful. Orange, red and purple itty bitty peppers on plants that are about 18"x24".
Old October 10, 2013   #8
JoParrott

I just took this in front of my house. It's getting cold and the white pepper leaves are turning brown from 3 straight frosty nights. It is just about time to pull them up, but they have been just beautiful all summer. And we love the peppers. I put a couple in each batch of salsa, and the taste is sooo good!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0033.JPG (306.6 KB, 50 views)
Old October 10, 2013   #9
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Doug, those Black Pearl are gorgeous, too!

Thanks Scott! I will send a message along with a list of my peppers in case you want something.

clkeiper, That Numex Twilight is great but some sources say 120 days to maturity. I am not sure it would do very well in our short season. Maybe if I get them started early enough!

Jo, that is a beautiful display of the Fish Peppers and geraniums!
Old October 10, 2013   #10
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

How about the Medusa Pepper? Anyone growing it or have experience growing in the past? It is beautiful!

I found this list of peppers but the info says that many aren't good for eating - http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-d...mental-pepper/

Last edited by pdxwindjammer; October 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old October 10, 2013   #11
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

For the most part they are hot with not a lot of other flavor. I don't know if that is a byproduct of them being small or more likely not a breeding goal. I wouldn't call most ornamental peppers spitters, just bland except for their heat.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2013   #12
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm... Some are so beautiful that I think I may have to grow any way! I love the look and size of Sangria and Medusa.
Old October 10, 2013   #13
ChilliJez
Tomatovillian™

I bought a Medusa plant a few years ago. It lived as a house plant in a 1 litre pot for 4 or 5 years and produced a close bunch of erect, pointed pods each year that ripened from a cream colour through yellow, orange to red, so it lived up to it's name.

Others I've grown include Numex Twilight and Bolivian Rainbow. Some day I hope to create one of these; http://www.fatalii.net/Bonsai_Chiles_Bonchi

But my favourite is Black Pearl. Really striking Purple black stems and foliage and glossy fruits.

Of other plants mentioned, Fish is attractive though the variegation can be quite variable from plant to plant. It is a much bigger plant however. Not really a compact ornamental. Much better to eat however.

I can help with seeds of some of these varieties if you can't find closer to home.

Jeremy
ChilliJez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2013   #14
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

You all just inspired me to order some Black Pearl seeds. (And a few other items.)

Love those ornamentals!!! The Bonchis are amazing. I'm planning on bringing in whatever survives until frost and seeing if any are suitable candidates. I'm pretty sure the pics on the bonchi website are by a master gardener, they are so flush with pods.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2013   #15
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Filius Blue is another nice one.

(internet picture)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 612-oIxMnWL.jpg (108.2 KB, 33 views)

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote