Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old July 2, 2019   #1
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Default Eggplants 2019

I decided to make a new thread where people can post what eggplants they are growing lately and their impressions.

I have 4 growing on my balcony, and 3 in someone's garden. The ones in the garden are doing horribly (they seem smaller than when I transplanted them) so I will, for now, skip over them.

We had a super cold may, and quite cold first half of june, and then it got really too hot. Kamo has been the best growing one in the colder period, so definitely seems more cold tolerant. Both Ping Tung and Thai long green grew unreasonably slow as seedlings, like 1/3 the speed of the other two, so are behind overall.
TLG has strangely small leaves, like a child's palm, and very short internodes, not sure this will produce much looking like this, and the fruit are supposed to be quite big.
Ping Tung is the one with the least spikes (almost none), Kamo has lots, Madonna enough and very stiff, TLG mostly on the calyx.

Kamo is one week away from harvest. A good rule is 3 weeks after fruit set, so I time the first fruit to get an idea of the feel and color of when it's ready. (longer types are supposed to be more like 4 weeks).

In order: Kamo, Thai Long green, Ping Tung, Madonna F1. These are closeups, the fruits are actually quite small, I'll maybe take pictures of the whole plants some other time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_k_ergebnis.jpg (315.4 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_tlg_ergebnis.jpg (217.6 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_pt_ergebnis.jpg (319.3 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_mad_ergebnis.jpg (287.7 KB, 181 views)
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2019   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

nice. I don't eat it but I put in 16 plants this year..., umm, I hope to have a decent harvest from what I put in but I started seeds for a neighbor... no idea what it is. she is asian and its "hers" so I agreed to grow it for her. she let me have a few to plant. so I put in 4. 4 black moon 4 tasty early and 4 santana.
Old July 2, 2019   #3
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing one each of purchased plants
Rosa Bianca
Nadia
Galina
Orient Express
(I grew the last 3 varieties last year, also)
and several more varieties I grew from seed
2 Aswad
3 Diamond
6 Violetta lunga

I planted most of them in early June and so far, have only one tiny eggplant forming (Orient Express).
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2019   #4
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing

Listada di Gandia
Rosa Bianca
Black Beauty

Something got my first eggplants of the season.
The plants in the pot and air pruning pots are doing better then the ones in the raised beds.

I grew purple stripe a few years ago that I liked, I also tried Burpees meatball which I had 0 success with.

Ill post more pics tomorrow
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2019   #5
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I’m growing viscerba,Rosa Bianca,Petch Siam,ping Tung Long. I absolutely love eggplant. If we get too much I freeze it,ferment it and make it into “zucchini bread, plus will try canning it as baba ganoush or pickles,baba gonoush.
One of the best things I’ve made for preserving was a fermented eggplant pickle. Sounds weird but was delicious.
I’m not sure there is any such things as too hot for eggplant. It grew against a hot brick wall in AZ when we lived there and would slow down fruit set in the summer but never stop.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2019   #6
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Great photos!

I've given up trying to grow eggplants in-ground; the evenings are cool, even in July. I have three each of Casper, Black Beauty, Fairy Tale, and Early Midnight Hybrid. All are in big containers and just starting to set fruit. Can't wait!
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2019   #7
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Barbarella.
They seem reluctant to take off this year.
They were shaded in the indoor grow tent, hopefully will rev up outside soon, its pretty warm.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2019   #8
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
I'm growing one each of purchased plants
Rosa Bianca
Nadia
Galina
Orient Express
(I grew the last 3 varieties last year, also)
and several more varieties I grew from seed
2 Aswad
3 Diamond
6 Violetta lunga

I planted most of them in early June and so far, have only one tiny eggplant forming (Orient Express).

How is Diamond in terms of growth in colder times? Everywhere I see how it's supposed to the the standard for outside growing an I was thinking of trying it.

Also, is Galina - Galine F1? The older variety from Clause, Classic F1, is a really popular variety in eastern Europe for cheap seed price and good quality.
Old July 3, 2019   #9
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
How is Diamond in terms of growth in colder times? Everywhere I see how it's supposed to the the standard for outside growing an I was thinking of trying it.

Also, is Galina - Galine F1? The older variety from Clause, Classic F1, is a really popular variety in eastern Europe for cheap seed price and good quality.
Yes! It is Galine F1. (I must have been thinking of the tomato.) Last year I grew Nadia and Galine next to each other and did not pay attention to which one produced or tasted better. afaik, both were about the same. I will try to pay attention this year. I chose these because they were the ones being sold at a local plant sale!

It has been really hot here -- 90s most days, 100s once a week or so. Earlier in the season, before I planted them, Diamond seedlings were smaller than Aswad and Violetta Lunga. But now, in the garden, they are all about the same.
The Aswad seed is new, but the others were seed I'd had for a few years and grew out to see if the seed was still viable! I still want to try Kamo, but didn't get seed for it this year.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2019   #10
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Here is my first eggplant of the year, a Kamo. Bigger than I expected. 19 days from fruit set. I picked it slightly earlier than planned (21) because the new flowers are dropping, the plant is still small and has 4 fruit (the other 3 seem like they will be a lot smaller). The other varieties are not much behind, max one week. Shininess unfortunately is not an indicator for this one, not sure how I'll pick them from now on. They become quite matte after only like 10 days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0077 rs.jpg (323.5 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0074 rs.jpg (254.0 KB, 128 views)
Old July 6, 2019   #11
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Diamond, Lista de Gandia, Mitoyo and Millionaire. All seeds were started at the same time, but the Millionaire seedlings really took off and are producing fruit already. I grew it last year, and was pleased.

I am another eggplant lover. I make eggplant lasagna, moussaka and lamb stews with it. When I have an abundance, I love to dehydrate it so that I can use it in stews in the winter.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2019   #12
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Decided to pick most of them, except Ping Tung. All are already burned on the side burner but not prepared yet.

I thought maybe I'm picking them too early, but it's actually quite the contrary. I mean the seeds are still white, but are quite big (on all of them), and certainly bigger than what one finds in commerce, with the seeds barely starting to form (that is considered best stage). I would guess those are 2 weeks old, not sure what varieties they are using, usually they are 3-400 grams. The Madonna in the picture is only 230g and already seedy.
I did a taste tast without salt or prepared, and they are really a lot more similar than I expected, Madonna seems to have best texture, somewhat creamier, currently I would probably give the taste egde to TLG which has a slightly more bitter but stronger taste.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_all_ergebnis.jpg (208.8 KB, 107 views)
Old July 8, 2019   #13
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

I'm pretty sure I'm going to ditch Listada di Gandia and replace with the Rosa Bianca, due to limited space and not because of quality or productivity.
I may do more eggplants in pots, they seem to really like the pots.
Harvested 2 Rosa Bianca's so far, Black beauties are all gonna hit me at once.

The Rosa Bianca are perfect in shape and size for my family, usually 16-20 slices per harvest and just enough for my family of five.
Last nights eggplant served 6

Old July 8, 2019   #14
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

What's the size of your Rosa Bianca (weight)? Also do you know what age they are (fruit set to picking)?
Old July 8, 2019   #15
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Hell zipcode, I just eat the little buggers when they are softball size, never thought to weigh one.
These were the earliest of my eggplants and grown in a pot.
These went into the pot April 15