Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 7, 2022   #1
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Default Jalafuego Peppers?

Ok, so I decided to try this one as my jalapeno for the year. It's called Jalafuego, supposed to be a large jalapeno, but with roughly twice the heat as a regular jalapeno. Has anyone ever grown this one before? If so, how did it perform and what was the heat like? I'll be mostly using them for salsa, maybe stuff and smoke/grill a few if I get a decent harvest.
Old February 7, 2022   #2
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

At the same time, you started Jalafuego; I started Lip Stick Peppers.

Tell us about your growing extravaganza!!!!!

I will tell you about my Lip Stick Peppers!!!!!!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2022   #3
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

I haven't started them yet, I won't start seeds for another 5-6 weeks. But I will try to update this thread or another one with how they do!
Old February 7, 2022   #4
snagged
Tomatovillian™

I grew them a couple years ago. Very productive variety. I don't remember much, one way or the other, about the heat level relative to normal jalapenos.
snagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2022   #5
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Very productive is good. Only reason I have questions about the amount of heat is so I can adjust my recipe to keep my mild salsa mild and my medium medium. Hot I'm not worried about, the guy that bough the hot swears I can't make it too hot for him with just jalapenos lol
Old February 7, 2022   #6
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

D.J. Yes, I have grown Jalafuego F1 peppers. They are hotter than a normal jalapeno by (my tastebuds) a lot. 2019 was less rainy than normal, and maybe that is why I felt the heat was over powering. I grow Jedi or La Bomba now. I do prefer hybrids for many peppers.
Old February 7, 2022   #7
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Thanks simmran1. I think they're probably going to work perfectly then!
Old February 7, 2022   #8
MuddyBuckets
Tomatovillian™

I grew them last season in 5 gallon grow bags on my deck and they were very productive. The plants only got about 2' tall due to lack of all-day sun (were in partial shade until late afternoon). The largest pepper was a bit over 3" with most sized like a regular jalapeno. Heat wise they were hot since I restricted watering in the late season.

Now the fun part. Just before our first freeze I trimmed the plant to 6", did not root prune, dug the plant in the grow bag mixture and stuck it in a 1-gallon nursery pot to bring in for the winter. Before bringing it inside I sprayed with neem oil 2x on separate days and drenched the soil with dissolved mosquito bits to prevent any bugs or gnats (it worked). The plant is under an LED grow light (12 on/12 off) and fertilized with weak 10-10-10 2x weekly. The Jalafuego is now about 18" tall, bushed out, covered with blooms and has 5 1" peppers!

Seems not following overwintering peppers has worked for me.
MuddyBuckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2022   #9
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Jalafuego for a number of years, both in pots and in the ground. It is consistently my most productive jalapeno and the peppers are quite large as well. I have no complaints on heat level, though I mostly use them along with serranos and hotter peppers when canning salsa (so not the best way to judge heat level). I highly recommend the variety.
Old February 8, 2022   #10
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Well, I wanted to take a break from growing hot peppers for Historical Reasons.
For years I grow Chicken Hearts Hot Hot Hot Peppers From Native Americans and the Hinkel Hatz Hot Hot Peppers. They are the same after growing them in different farms of Angel Field.

For the first time, I grow Sweet Red Peppers called the Lipstick Sweet Peppers that I washed and eat while farming. https://www.angelfieldfarms.com/stor...ers/Seeds.html It Looked like it was made for women farmers, Amen!! This was the first pepper I eat straight from the plant.
Old February 8, 2022   #11
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Default Your Excitement Jalafuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J. Wolf View Post
Ok, so I decided to try this one as my jalapeno for the year. It's called Jalafuego, supposed to be a large jalapeno, but with roughly twice the heat as a regular jalapeno. Has anyone ever grown this one before? If so, how did it perform and what was the heat like? I'll be mostly using them for salsa, maybe stuff and smoke/grill a few if I get a decent harvest.
Sorry I jumped too fast about your New Variety called Jalafuego; thinking you grew something like it. From everyone's description, it seemsm like it will be smaller enough to grow around a hot grill area in a big planting pot, Amen!!

Last edited by MrsJustice; February 9, 2022 at 07:58 AM.
Old June 11, 2022   #12
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I grew Jalafuego F1...maybe 5-6 years back. One of my first Johnnys orders. Just a packet. Very big, very hot, very productive. I forgot to order the next time I made an order there, that, or very possibly they were out of the larger packs, because IMO the packet price is exorbitant. The second year I only had a few seeds left an I don't know if I got any to germinate. So I grew out the F2, not selected at all. The F3. I haven't really seen a change in hottness. Could be smaller size. I generally let them go red, or at least thatched skin. Only at the very beginning or very end of harvest do I pick green, smooth jalapenos.

I don't know if the seed this year is F4 or F5 or if I went back to the F2? My seeds are a mess. But I haven't really seen much difference to my novice hot pepper eyes. I may have simply took better care of them the first year, or it could be the F1 was truly bigger.

But any of them have been better than "early jalapeno" which was my first "from seed" jalapeno and very unproductive.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2022   #13
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Hot!! Too hot for a jalapeño. I like jalapeño flavor but the heat just took that over. Won't grow again. More choices out there.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote