Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old August 6, 2013   #1
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Default What and where is your favorite Garden Center/Nursery?

Hello Tomatovillians,

As many of you would probably agree, we all love the convenience and the wider selection made available online by the various seedhouses around the country/world.

However, I and maybe some of you do too, still enjoy going to some of our local garden centers/nurseries to find some unexpected seed offering or plant in person. My question then is...What and or where are your favorite Garden centers/nurseries? And why?

I have a few favorites in NJ, and one in Connecticut.

For NJ:
The Metropolitan Plant Exchange in Fort Lee, NJ. Why? Big selection of tomato seedlings, decent size selection of seeds, a huge selection of herb plants/flowers, and an even bigger selection of houseplants.

Richfield Farms in Clifton, NJ. Why? A pretty big selection of Heirloom tomato plant seedlings (more than the Metropolitan Plant Exchange in Fort Lee, NJ). Good selection of seeds and flowers and I can walk there in 20 minutes... super convenient.

Plochs in Clifton, NJ. Why? Just for the selection of seeds alone...Huge selection...I think they carry something like 6-7 different seed companies seed offerings. That and their quality selection of houseplants.

In Connecticut:

Country Flower Farms in Middlefield, CT. Why? A ridiculously large selection of herb plants available, 145 herb varieties to be exact. I can spend hours there. They also have a really big and wide selection of flowers (annuals and perennials).

~Alfredo
Alfredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2013   #2
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

I love Plochs!!! I've spent many days (and dollars) meandering amongst the plants!

I have been to the Metropolitan Plant Exchange in West Orange and found them a bit pricey.

Where is Richfield Farms?

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2013   #3
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarieNJ View Post
I love Plochs!!! I've spent many days (and dollars) meandering amongst the plants!

I have been to the Metropolitan Plant Exchange in West Orange and found them a bit pricey.

Where is Richfield Farms?
Hey DonnaMarieNJ,

Yeah Plochs is great, they also have another store, same owners, much bigger in Wayne, NJ called Strawberry Blossoms. You should check it out when you can.

And yes, the Metropolian Plant Exchange can be pricey, I've never been to the West Orange store location, only the real big one in Fort Lee, NJ and the much smaller one in Paramus, NJ.

Richfield Farms is located at 1139 Van Houten Avenue in Clifton, NJ a couple blocks behind Clifton High School. They're still a fully functioning farm that still sells their own freshly grown vegetable produce too. So it's not just a garden center/nursery, if anything it's an old farm that has expanded into its present garden center/nursery model. If you love Ploch's I think you'll definitely like Richfield Farms in Clifton, NJ. Their website is http://richfieldfarms.com

~Alfredo
Alfredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2013   #4
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Anyone else have a favorite local garden shop?