Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 24, 2006   #1
Warped
Tomatovillian™

Default Die Weeds DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE

The house i now live in has a garden bed which i intend to use for vegetables after this horid frost and winter is gone. Unfortunately it is filled with weeds and flowers which i dont want, what is the best way to kill them without causing harm to the soil.
Warped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006   #2
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

When the weeds first emerge from the soil, till it deep; a foot is good.

A week prior to setting out plants/seeds, till it again. This will finish off any weeds/flowers that manage to survive the first tilling.

For extra measure, you can also lay down some black landscape fabric after the second tilling and cut X's in it where you wish to set out each plant. Leave it in place for the whole season.

I wouldn't use any type of herbicide/weed killer in the same area where you plan to grow vegetables...the residue is enough to stunt growth, and in a lot of cases, kill your transplants outright.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006   #3
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

I have been using a pitchfork & some backbreaking labour to rid my 25'x50' patch of crabgrass, dandelions & some other weed that spreads by rhizome/runners

It is taking a while (I'm now 1/3 done, but I have the next three days off - I should be able to finish it!), and the soil that's done looks great - dug to about a foot deep & virtually weed free!

The last thing I want to do is re-dig the perimeter & sink a 12" barrier of some kind, so the runners don't encroach again.

So this method is very effective - but time consuming & you can't have a bad back (but I might have one when I'm done )
Old May 24, 2006   #4
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

If you have the time, you could cover it with tarps. The lack of sun with kill the weeds...at least enough to make tilling a bit easier. Of course, it depends on what kind of weeds we are talking about. Even dead Bermuda grass is a pain to till.
Old May 24, 2006   #5
Organic_Nut
Tomatovillian™

weeds never seem to leave me. I always seem to find them. so I accept them and just pull the weeds as the summer goes along.

I think my soil is full of weed seeds and they all do not germinate in any given year. I think some can come up many years later.

anyway a long time ago I gave up on the idea of a weed free garden.
Organic_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006   #6
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Heh...i believe one of yo Aussie compatriots will set you Strate....in due time...Best wishes...always...)))
Old May 26, 2006   #7
Joel5000
Tomatovillian™

My garden is full of purslane. I can weed for hours and never get it all. This year I'm really trying to get all of the purslane before it produces seeds, but its hard to keep up. I LOATHE purslane.
Joel5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006   #8
timcunningham
Tomatovillian™

Weeds? What are weeds? I only garden now with homemade earthboxes or square foot gardens... so I don't know what weeds are.
Old May 29, 2006   #9
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Warped...seein as how there aint been too many answers of any use to ya...so far....an how i probly was a main culprit , in that regard...here comes a hopefully better reply...)))

Weeds...need to be individually understood, according to species. there are MANY weeds...that are beneficial towards soil life, and serve a wonderful purpose, on this Earth.

i'm gon let you in...on the singular most Beautiful...Simple....secret...lol...an i aint kiddin...now...)))

The REAL KEY...towards growing ANY PLANT...in the Earth...is TILTH.

Study tilth....an you'll Fly High...)))

Tilth comes from organic materials, that are in constant stages of decomposition. There is NO natural end to this natural process. Everything that lives, took something from the Soil. When it dies...it gives back...what it took.

As a gardener that faced tremendous yellow nutsedge challenges...years ago,...and struggled ....was tormented by it...i understand your question.

As an organic grower...i can offer you these admonitions
...as i have witnessed an come to believe...))) w/no hesitations...)))

There's Great Truth ...behind the saying..."One year's weed ='s 7 year's seed." Believe That ...cause it's True...))) This is a simple Truth....simply watch any weed, an discover HOW it pro-creates...then...pre-empt that singular action. In other words...unless it's suckin yo ground dry, jus watch it, an cut it down, prior to it's reproductive cycle. But there are other things to consider, as well.

Study...the roots...of the plants You desire to grow,...an then....study , identify...the "weeds' that give cause for concern. If you do this well, an in fact, real world footsteps will teach you better than any book...you will easily discern which weeds compete with a desired species, and which weeds Dont. There are many Fine vegetables, that Man has refined their attributes towards one Goal....taste...or Yield. But in doing so...the cultivar lost some of it's Spine....(ability to stand up on it's own.)
some weeds..like Chickweed...are a fine Boon, towards supporting a preferred vegetable. An all you gotta do, is pull the weed, when it gets ready to bloom, an throw it right back down, under your desired plant, to serve as both support, an to Give BACK...to the soil...in a reduced way, albeit, because some loss of nitrogen will be to the atmosphere...but nevertheless...you still allowed that "weed" to Live, an be an Ally.

There are MANY...natural defenses...in plants. Defenses you or i aint never even had a chance to Learn about. "Weeds"...contribute so Much...in this Area. Not to your desired plant....but to the Soil.

Warped...theres so much i could tell ya ...from havin grown purely in a Natural way, now...for the last 6-7 years. An the One Thing to know...is This...It's ALL...Inter-related. One caint simply pick one aspect an say..."This is my Enemy". it's that kinda thinkin, that will Blind you...from ever seein Real Beauty...Truth...)))

Create tilth...in the beds you wish to grow in, an take the undesired species an let them Give Back, by simply pulling them, an layin them out upon the very bed they grew in...Come to understand ...Cycles of Life...an how Each Species has it's Own Window of Opportunity....very Brief...Study....the area's of Competition in the Root Zones of Importance....an i dont think you'll ever ask this Question , again...))) but Somebody will...)))...an ...Thats OK...Too...)))

all we want...is to Grow Somethin Good...)))
Old May 29, 2006   #10
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Warped...i wanted to add one more thing... The Real misnomer in your Question...an the Real Thing...i'd surely want to stress...is this...Instead of throwin anything , that you dont desire...into a general derogatory Classification...as being a "weed"....it's Far Better, an will make not only You, but the Whole Host of other life-forms on this Earth....so Much Happier, and Healthier...)))

We all live in different places upon the Earth. we ALL got different obstacles. Chances are...if we try to properly identify our problems...that there is some Help...out There...))) Warped...only tryin...from here...))) Identify...yo problem weeds...an Better help is Probly on the Way....Friend...)))
Old May 29, 2006   #11
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Gimme,

Why wait until just before the plant goes to seed to pluck it? (at least that's what I think I read)

(I LOATHE purslane.)

Joel, I hear ya...I have it in my raised beds too. Have you tried eating it? It's supposed to be good for you.
Old May 29, 2006   #12
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

CB....one reason....but not of great importance, unless one understands an pays attention to....and Appreciates....Life Cycles.

Immediately Prior to entering it's blooming period, most plants have their very Highest reserve and Foilular quality. Clover is Especially at it's most nutritive value....jus prior to bloom. It gives up all it's energy....into flowering, and then....dies.

Hope this explained...)))
Old June 9, 2006   #13
Joel5000
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb
Gimme,

Why wait until just before the plant goes to seed to pluck it? (at least that's what I think I read)

(I LOATHE purslane.)

Joel, I hear ya...I have it in my raised beds too. Have you tried eating it? It's supposed to be good for you.
I haven't tried it yet, I've cursed it so many times, I'm afraid it would try to take its revenge if I ate it. This year I'm trying really hard to yank it all before it goes to seed. So far I'm keeping up . . . barely.
Joel5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2006   #14
QAGuy
Tomatovillian™

Warped - lay down layers of newspaper, about 5-6 sheets thick or more. You could also lay down cardboard. Then weigh it down with some mulch.

After the end of winter, the cardboard should have broken down quite a bit (same with newspaper). Dig that whole thing into the ground.

That should take care of them.
Old June 10, 2006   #15
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Joel

While it is said purslane has a nice flavor, you couldn't eat enough of it to keep up. Nor can you pull it fast enough to get rid of it that way. Even if you try to yank it out before seeding, it is a prolific seeder and seeds from previous seeding sessions will be deep in the soil just waiting for a chance to pop up. Double tilling just brings the seeds to the surface twice. Mulching helps and over time purslane can be slowed down, but solarization before planting, mulching and hand picking will give the best results. I'm sure you know if you hoe purslane, after the next rain or watering, every piece of stem will become a new purslane plant ready to flower in a week or two and start the seed merry-go-round all over again.

For Gimme the Bard:
I agree with what you say, but I kinda like to scoop up the give backers and fling em in a compost pile and cook the dang seeds to death 'fore the rest of the plant goes into the soil and gives back in the form of tilth. I always say a weed is anything you don't want where it is if you want something else there.
PaulF is online now   Reply With Quote