Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old January 23, 2011   #1
Indyartist
Tomatovillian™

Default "Cat Facing" on my Cherokee Purple's. Any suggestions?

One of my first black tomatoes I ever grew was "Cherokee Purple." But I have so much scarring and disfiguring that it is effecting almost every fruit, at least my last attempt which was my 2009 garden. I'm going to try again this year but any suggestions?
“Men should stop fighting among themselves and start fighting insects”
Luther Burbank
Indyartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2011   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyartist View Post
One of my first black tomatoes I ever grew was "Cherokee Purple." But I have so much scarring and disfiguring that it is effecting almost every fruit, at least my last attempt which was my 2009 garden. I'm going to try again this year but any suggestions?
Cat facing is not an infectious disease, it's an enviomental problem.

When pollenization occurs at low temps or blossoms are disturbed, the result can be cat faced fruits, which are usually the first fruits that mature, but later ones that were pollenized when the temps were warmer will not have cat facing.
Old January 23, 2011   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

So either plant later, keep the plants warmer, or pick off any obvious double blossoms or double fruits.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2011   #4
Indyartist
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the feedback, it is good to find out the cause. I was considering giving up on the variety because my bad results. I'll see how they do this year, I'm doing a germination test on my 2009 seeds and plan on having them again this year.
Luther Burbank
Old January 28, 2011   #5
travis
Tomatovillian™

Cherokee Purple is going to have its share of fasciated blossoms, anther drag, double ova, and other defects that lead to catfacing and zipper scars. The plus side is the fabulous flavor that completely over compensates for the unavoidable ugly. As an artist, think abstractly. Lumpy, organic cubism or something.

Last edited by travis; January 29, 2011 at 08:47 AM.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2011   #6
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I know Indiana can have much warmer weather than Wi (I have in-laws in NW In.) But think back to what kind of summer 09 was in your area. For me it was more like a Pacific NW type of summer than a typical Mid-west summer -- cool days cooler nites instead of hot and humid.

So summer 09 might have just been one of those years that was more prone to catfacing than normal.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2011   #7
Indyartist
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
I know Indiana can have much warmer weather than Wi (I have in-laws in NW In.) But think back to what kind of summer 09 was in your area. For me it was more like a Pacific NW type of summer than a typical Mid-west summer -- cool days cooler nites instead of hot and humid.

So summer 09 might have just been one of those years that was more prone to catfacing than normal.

Carol
Thanks Carol,
I'm all excited again about the CP's. I have seeds saved from 2009. I did a germination test by putting 10 seeds in a wet paper towel in a baggie on top of the fridge and had 100% germination in less than a week. So, Cherokees are back on the "To Grow" list and I'll try at least one plant in a Wall-O-Water to see if that helps with avoid the cold start.
Al
Luther Burbank
Old January 29, 2011   #8
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

How is this for zipper tomato's Black from Tula
Also was wonderful to eat, So nice !!!!!!
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote