Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old January 23, 2012   #1
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Default Bleaching to kill bad soil organisms?

I am worried that I have some "bad" potting soil. I think that the plants that I had in it last year was
diseased. So I was wondering if I soaked the soil with bleach water if that would work to sterilize the soil?
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2012   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

It should kill everything including good organisms.

Then how would you get the bleach out.
I guess with plane water then how would you get good organisms back in.

It looks like you would have sterile soil.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2012   #3
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I was thinking to put some mycro and actvionate back into it.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2012   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Might be worth a try, cant hurt.

I have been known to spray Lysol on stem galls after I trim them off.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2012   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlzbn View Post
I am worried that I have some "bad" potting soil. I think that the plants that I had in it last year was
diseased. So I was wondering if I soaked the soil with bleach water if that would work to sterilize the soil?
Diseased in what way? Are you referring to damping off where the newly germinated seedlings develop a brown constricted area at the soil line and fall over dead, or something else?

Need to know what was wrong with the seedlings, I think, before suggesting any possible remedies other than buying new artificial mix for starting seedlings. What have you been using to start seeds?

I ask b'c if the potting soil you refer to is not an artificial mix that has no real dirt in it, and your potting soil DOES have real dirt in it, then I can see where they might well be a problem.
Old January 23, 2012   #6
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Carolyn as to what type of disease did your plants have and when in the growth cycle did they contract the disease. That should tell us whether it was soil borne or airborne. Are you growing in containers or in soil? Ami
Old January 23, 2012   #7
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Use a mix of 6 to 8 ounces of regular strength bleach added to a gallon of water and soak the soil. The bleach will oxidize fairly quickly and once it dries out enough there should be little or no residue. Make sure to give it a enough time before adding the beneficial bacteria.

I used this last year to treat the spots where I was planting my fall tomatoes in soil infected heavily with fusarium and it increased my success greatly. I have a serious fusarium problem and this has been the most effective thing I have found. I only treat a spot about a foot wide where the plant will be placed. Eventually the fusarium from the surrounding soil will infect the expanding roots but it gives me a the very least a few extra weeks of healthy growth before the plant is affected by fusarium.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote