Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 18, 2006   #1
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Default What's the lowdown on Bucks County Hybrid ?

Anyone have much experience with this cultivar ? First time growing these here. The plants (7 total) are extremely uniform in growth and appearance, about 2 foot high, lookin forward to seein an tastin these.

Could yall rate it for taste,texture, yield, disease resistance, an give a idea how big it gets ?

Had excellent germination and very content with their growth thus far.

Also, info regarding origin would be most appreciated. Thanks...)))
Old May 18, 2006   #2
creister
Tomatovillian™

Ya know, the good Dr. C herself should probably speak on this, but I vaugely remeber a thread at GW where she said that she grew BC and Red BW side by side and they were essentially the same in all aspects.

Like I said, hopefully she will sound off on this in case my memory is messed up on this and I don't really like to speak for others.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006   #3
jerseyjohn61
Tomatovillian™

Gimme,

Grew 3 Buck's County last year and they were my
best producers in a difficult growing season. Last
July and August were very humid, yet little rainfall.

I'd give them about a 7+ on overall flavor and
texure. Sweet with just nuff' tartness. They were
juicy and should have grown them again this year.
Darn, so many varieties, so little space!

BC Hybrid would be a dependable main cropper
for those in difficult growing areas(heat/humidity).
Would like to see how it proforms in a good year....JJ61

P.S. Buck Co., PA is only about 30 miles west
of me. Don't know if that means anything, but
Amish country is less than two hours from me
as well. These toms may just like my locale.

P.P.S Growin' Red BW Landis this year for first
time, so i'll have a reference towards the Buck Co.
traits that Carolyn has spoken on elsewhere.
jerseyjohn61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Gimme,

Back in the late mid-90's Burpee introduced what they called Red Brandywine Hybrid.

it was the first hybrid heirloom I'd seen and I had mixed emotions about it.

But it should be noted that George Ball, owner of Burpee, is quitre pro hybrid, anti OP and owns up to that with no problem at all.

I ordered plants from Burpee as well as seeds for this variety and also sowed seeds for my own RB that I'd gotten from a fellow SSE member sometime in the late 80's, early 90's when RB was actually RB.

I could tell no difference in any way, shape, or form between this hybrid and my OP RB.

I saved seeds from the hybrid with the expectation of taking at look at the F2 growout, but at that time I was growing an obscene number of plants and somehow misplaced those seeds and never went back to address the situation.

After a few years Burpee introduced what they called Buck's County Red, but for two years never said anything more about it, and then started saying in the blurb that it was a hybrid of Red Brandywine.

So that's the story on Buck's County Red.

I know I'm perhaps different from others here, but I simply am not comfortable seeing known heirlooms converted into hybrids ala Brandy Boy, Glory and Buck's County Red.

Perhaps I'm a purist, perhaps I'm just plain stubborn, perhaps I just like to see the heritage of these varieties remain what they have been for so many years.
Old June 5, 2006   #5
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Doctor C...Carolyn...lol

i so appreciate your Stubborness...)))If You werent Stubborn...we'd have a whole lot more lies goin on, out there.

Here's whats crazy...my Uncle gave me some seed from a pack of Tomatos labeled...'Red Brandywine"....back in February.

I planted them, had excellent germination an growth, but they are PL...and i already knew, that a Red BW is RL, an aint a BW at alll

These are Beautiful plants...goin on 4 foot high, but very sparse fruit set.

I bought the Bucks County Hybrid (thats exactly how Burpee Marketed an packaged it) seeds, and these Too...are mighty beautiful plants...and they have a very unique predictableness, as to WHERE,,,they throw their first bloom pod at. it's Always...right in the top of the main leader, very close to the Crown. all in all, i aint that happy w'fruit set out of either one....false Red BW...or BCH...a Big Beef will blow them outta the water...in a heartbeat. This is a fine Season, there's no room to fudge an say a plant didnt have a Great Chance to be what it aughta be....here.

i'm really hopin these BCH's will be worthwhile...in Time...they are growing so massive, just reluctant to set any fruit,...an thats crazy to me....judgin by how strong an Healthy all 7 of them are.

I gave up countin fruits...on 2 Big Beefs...after reachin 40...on each....lol...an they aint even yet grown to be...the Jack's Beanstalk..that they gonna be...)))

It's funny how people talk in a frenzy...sometimes...about this or that....but down the road....got nothin to say. I'm talkin to all You BCH and Russian117 growers.

oh well...)))
Old June 5, 2006   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post, but I'll take 2 flavorful tomatoes a week over the bushels of tasteless ones I got now.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2006   #7
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

you added a Basketload of good info...Feldon....Thank you...)))
Old June 6, 2006   #8
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

I am growing Bucks Co. Hybrid this year. I have grown Red Brandywone before. It will be interesting to compare.

CECIL
Old June 6, 2006   #9
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Gimme, I've grown Bucks County 3 years running now. What I've found is it's a very heavy producer, but very, very late - which is surprising for a medium red tomato.

It has a strange habit of throwing out 3 nice tomatoes on the first set, and then you don't see another ripe one for a month. But when you do, it will be your dominant picking tomato, with Ramapo if you have it, for the rest of the season.

I'm growing Red Brandywine for the first time this year, just to see for myself if they are the same. I'm hoping it is earlier than BCH. If the taste is the same that is the main thing. So far, I would rate BCH as an 8 out of 10 for flavor.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2006   #10
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Bark...i so appreciate yo reply. all i could figure was...this plant aint even got near as strong as it intends to be....to have so few ideas about blooming...much less settin fruits. An it blows my mind, how Vigorous, Totally healthy it is (all 7)...it's Growin so Wonderful, it seems like a sterile impotent, compared to a Big beef, thus far. That's whats been trippin me. I guess there aint no way to learn, but to Dive in.....i'm mighty appreciative to hear you comment that it's a Good...albeit...Late...bearer. That's what i'm gon watch an look for....Thank you...for offerring some Experienced observation...sincerely...)))

Cecil...You an me in the same Boat...buddy...)))...Here's to hopin our notes are Happy...come Season's end...))) Look forward to hearin what You thought about a BCH...this winter, Friend...)))
Old June 20, 2006   #11
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

an update....Bark....First off....you are DEAD Right...this cultivar takes it's time to gather momentum (BCH)...but once it does.....Lord help ya...))) still aint got a clue as to what these PL ....labeled "Red Brandywines" really are...they ALL dooin Swelll

I will say this much....a Buck's County Hybrid does not grow...like most hybrids i'm familiar with. It has a way...of takin it's sweet time...to load up...build up Structure...but once it gets started....it's a mighty good Fruit Setter....an it grows Massive...lol...to START with...before it gets Serious about settin Fruits. It's a Mighty Beautiful Plant...to me....i caint wait to taste it.

i Truly Love...what i've seen...so far...in this cultivar's Consistency....w/regard to It's pattern of Growth.. There aint no end...)))to the Joy's....Simple...that one can feel...thru Time....an tryin...))) Givin Somethin a Chance...)))
Old June 21, 2006   #12
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

If Bucks County Hybrid is identical to Red Brandywine then instead of lining Burpee's pockets, I'll happily grow out and save seed from RB. That's if I have any room in my garden after putting in Brandywine (Sudduth's) and OTV Brandywine.

I'm growing Brandy Boy because it is supposed to be an infusion of flavor into the typical hybrid. I think trying to create varieties with taste included in the decision-making process is a good thing. Whether it's the two C-Tex varieties that have shown up, or the Dwarf project, or Jeff Dawson's and Joe Bratka's created varieties (as long as they are honestly labeled!). Either way, I will always grow heirlooms in my garden.

Houston tomato growers who list Brandywine in their growing lists are greeted with incredulousness. I've heard of people growing 16 Brandywine tomato plants and getting 14 fruit.
Old June 21, 2006   #13
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

16 Brandywines for 14 fruits and yet they are overjoyed with the flavor. I just have to give Brandywine a try one day. I guess, when you are king , you are allowed to entice the crowd

CECIL
Old June 21, 2006   #14
TheDens
Tomatovillian™

Hehe, I planted Brandywine (sudduth) here in GA with little hope of it doing well. I've lost two of my four plants to acts of God (well, the acts of one neighbor's kid and one unknown critter), and I suspect one of the remainders is a cross; some (not all) of the leaves have irregular serrations. Still, I'm babying them; anything so widely raved about has got to be worth the effort, even if I only get to try one.
The blossoms haven't dropped in our 95+ degree heat yet, but they haven't set either, so here's hoping.

Denna
TheDens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2006   #15
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Assuming you aren't too far from Atlanta, Sunday-Tuesday of next week look like a good window of opportunity for your BW to set fruit. Highs in the 80's, lows in the 60's. I could care less about the rain, but the 5-15 degree temperature drop that often follows it is much appreciated.

We're getting our first full sun in Houston after days of punishing rain. If I hadn't pulled my tomatoes, this would probably have killed them anyway.