Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 8, 2015   #1
YonMon
Tomatovillian™

Default Soil prep w/ horse manure question.

My girlfriend's mother operates an equestrian farm/school and I was able to fill many buckets with very well composted horse manure that has been sitting for about a year maybe more in a big heaping pile. My plan was to combine 40-50% of this composted manure (it's so well composted it looks like dark rich soil) with a combination of Sphagnum peat moss and vermiculite or some other combination of something to give me a bit air/fluff in the mixture. Any suggestions?

I've done some research and the conclusion I've reached is that the composted manure will not burn the plants. Does anyone have any experience or input on the proportions or materials I should combine?

Thanks!

Last edited by YonMon; April 8, 2015 at 12:41 PM. Reason: typo
YonMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

What are you using it for? In many uses it is good how it is.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #3
YonMon
Tomatovillian™

I have 3 Earthboxes that were lent to me and havnt decided which varieties to plant in those yet along with some 5gallon containers that will hold cherry tomatoes and 2 20gallon containers that will hold Beefsteaks.
Old April 8, 2015   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

a fairly quick way to make sure that your manure does not contain herbicides that could kill your seedlings is to test it by planting some bean seeds directly in a sample of it before committing to it in your garden/containers.
although not usual, horse feed may contain herbicide residue that passes unchanged through the horse and will do a number on your plants. better to be sure than regret it later.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #5
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by YonMon View Post
I have 3 Earthboxes that were lent to me and havnt decided which varieties to plant in those yet along with some 5gallon containers that will hold cherry tomatoes and 2 20gallon containers that will hold Beefsteaks.
Aha, OK better to check with the experts.

Back in the day maybe 25 years ago I grew in containers one year. 50% vermiculite and 50% composted cow manure. That worked fantastic. That's my only experience though.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; April 8, 2015 at 04:07 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #6
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

If you are not familiar with the Earthbox site...go there and learn how to use their boxes. Their system is tested and true...and if you freelance, you will be disappointed.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #7
YonMon
Tomatovillian™

Sounds good. Thanks everyone!