Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 12, 2007   #1
HeirloomNewb
Tomatovillian™

Default Price to Sell Transplants?

After a few neighbors and their friends and families saw the giants growing in my garden and got a taste of the heirloom tomatoes they offered to pay me to grow their plants for them next year. I do not know many of these people so I'm not looking for the family and friends discount since most of those people already get free plants from me.

I don't have any type of big time set up, but I'm thinking that with a few more shoplights I can do it.

What is the going rate on trasnplants? I have never been to a farmers market so I have no clue. I've never bought a plant at Home Depot so I don't even know what these people already pay for transplants. We live in the chicagoland area so prices aren't dirt cheap, but we don't pay manhatten style prices either.

Thanks for the input.
HeirloomNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2007   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I agree 100%. $2 is the entry level.

Consider the cost of: potting up mix, 4" pots, fish emulsion, the cost of seeds if you bought them commercially (30 seeds at $2 is over a nickel a seed), labels.

Also make sure you specify whether these plants have been hardened off or not. (If not, then these folks will need to be educated on bringing them into the sunlight gradually over a week's time).

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2007   #3
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

this will be our 10th year doing this - we started out at 2.00 per plant for a 4" pot transplant and have maintained that price (and don't expect to raise it) - very, very few comments, mostly surprised the cost is so low. It seems fair, considering the work and care and materials and time that go into providing healthy seedlings of varieties that are not easy to come by.
Old January 12, 2007   #4
veggiecanner
Tomatovillian™

How old are the 4 inch plants?
last year i saw a guy selling tomato plants along side the road and he was selling a 2 foot tall plant in a cut down milk jug for $3. Kinda leggy for my tastes.
I was selling common tomato plants for $1. They were in a 4 inch pot and started out around 4 weeks old.
People here are not so concerned that they be heirlooms as much as the just don't want hybryds or GMO plants.
My most requested plants were Beef Steak. This year I'll add a few Heirlooms. But in North Idaho they want faster growing types.
Old January 12, 2007   #5
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

last year heirlooms sold out in local greenhouse/nursery at $2/4"pot, 8-10" plant. will be same price this year.
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote