Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 3, 2007   #1
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

Default Digital food scale.......

What brand digital scale (to weigh those monster tomato next season) do you recommend and where shop for the best price??
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2007   #2
Rena
Tomatovillian™

I have 2 scales one digital and one not. I bought the digital at office depot so that I could be more precise with measuring to make soap. I have gone back to my kitchen scale I got a a restraunt supply store. Very handy!
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2007   #3
DavidinCT
Tomatovillian™

Bought an Escali scale from King Arthur Flour for weighing ingredients for bread. A fraction of an ounce more of yeast or salt makes a noticable difference. (Baker's truism: "Volume measurements are given so bakers will always have a job"). "Pana" is the model but King Arthur doesn't tell you that. 6.6 pound capacity. Grams, ounces and pre-programmed volumes for 150 substance (that might be fun. One tomato weighs the same as one cup of....whatever. Guess you could get an idea of density from it). Measures in 0.1 oz or 1 gram increments. That model is a little pricey but there are good ones in the $25 to $35 range.

Salter is a brand many cooks like. Their 11 lb capacity 7.5 inch by 7.5 inch flat model is only an inch thick and stores nicely.
DavidinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2007   #4
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

I use a Salter. Works great at our CHOPTAG events for judging the heaviest tomatoes. I probably got it through Amazon. I find most things are less expensive there.

Old January 5, 2007   #5
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I think I got mine off ebay.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2007   #6
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

Took the Salter info and have made my purchase! Bed Bath and Beyond had a good assortment of scales, so I grab a bottle of something to weigh there on the displays scales. The one that I bought weighed right on there in the store and the Salter digital scale had a dead battery in the display.......so seemed like one less worry for me keeping a fresh battery. Hope I won't be sorry, but only out $8 and a few coins with their store coupon. Now I won't have to guess how much the tomatoes weigh!
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote