Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 30, 2007   #1
Steve1961
Tomatovillian™

Default Supplement to Daconil Applications

Living in Kansas where a 20 mile an hour wind is only a breeze, toms can go through some pretty tough times. Here in SC Kansas toms can and do suffer from blight and other types of disease. I have found Daconil treatments to be a very effective cure from my toms losing their foilage from the ground up. For years I have used something else that really made my Daconil applications much more effective or maybe my supplement is making the Daconil more effective. I'm trying my homemade treatment exclusively on 2 of my plants this year to see if it is effective alone with no Daconil treatments. The two plants are Brandywine and Arkansas Traveler. My supplement is not my invention just talking with other growers, the internet, and watching my dad and grandpa grow gardens when I was young. I just picked out different ingredients that made sense to me. My personal opinion in my concoction below is that the Yucca extract is the key to this supplement. Makes one heck of a natural surficant.

Tomato Supplement
1 Gallon of Water (Water from a pond or lake preferably)
1 81 mg Aspirin
1 Tbs Baking Soda
2 Tbs Yucca Extract (30 capsules equal 2 Tbs)

Mix all ingredients in the water (crushing aspirin expedites dissolving). Spray on the tomato foilage until runoff. I apply this in between my Daconil treatments. On my two test toms I apply weekly in the morning or in the evening if I have enough wind to assure drying prior to sundown. FYI... I have applied during midday if I have to and it is OK but I know my grandpa wouldn't be very happy with me.
Steve1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2007   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Steve, good stuff. Definately keep us posted on how it turns out. I have used aspirin as a foliar spray and I use yucca extract when I apply my compost tea to the plants, foliar and drench. Heres a link that might interest you. Ami
http://www.ghorganics.com/page15.htm...20Soda%20Spray