Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 14, 2011   #1
materlvr
Tomatovillian™

Default Bought what was available, not what I wanted..

Hello, I went tomato shopping a week after they came out and the nursery was out of the seedlings I wanted. Here's what I ended up with:

Anna Russian
Aunt Ginny's Purple
Black From Tula
Aker's West Virginia
Momotoro
Marianna's Peace (have grown this before and found it yummy but not very productive)

What I wanted was

Druzba
Kosovo
Box Car Willie
Neves Arozean Red
Earl's Faux

Can anyone give me any info on the seedling I bought?

Thanks, all!

Janie
materlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2011   #2
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

Anna Russian is a good one....sorry you missed out on Box Car Willie!
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2011   #3
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...o_Variety_List
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2011   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Marianna's Peace was my most productive OP tomato 2 years ago. It needs to be pruned some or it will send out too many suckers and forks. I keep them to no more than 4 stems and every time they fork I cut one of the forks off. I have to do the same thing with Gary O' Sena or I end up with a huge bush and only a few tomatoes.
Momotaro is a very tasty and very pretty tomato but it has no tolerance to fusarium so I no longer grow it except in a container.
Akers West Virginia will make some huge tomatoes but it is not one of my favorites because of its' mild flavor; but I am growing it again this year in an area with a lower ph to see if that will put a little more tang in it.
I have only grown Anna Russian once and it made a huge vine but not many tomatoes; but will be trying it again also.
Growing Aunt Ginnie's Purple for the first time this year and so far it is looking really good.
I've never grown Black from Tula but I like most black tomatoes as long as you don't let them get overripe.

I really like your wanted list. I have seed for most of those if you need some for next year.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2011   #5
materlvr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry_AK View Post
Thank you for this awesome list!

B54red, great to hear you had good luck with Marianna's Peace. great tomato! Yeah, I've grown my "wanted" maters for years. I tried growing from seed but this year we had almost no sun when they germinated, and I lost them all. Had to go to an excellent local nursery that stocks heirlooms, but I didn't get there soon enough. Next year I'll install a grow light!

Mecktom, I had read that Anna Russian was good, it's my replacement for Kosovo, one of my favorite tomatoes.

Thanks you your input!

b54redMarianna's Peace was my most productive OP tomato 2 years ago. It needs to be pruned some or it will send out too many suckers and forks. I keep them to no more than 4 stems and every time they fork I cut one of the forks off. I have to do the same thing with Gary O' Sena or I end up with a huge bush and only a few tomatoes.
Momotaro is a very tasty and very pretty tomato but it has no tolerance to fusarium so I no longer grow it except in a container.
Akers West Virginia will make some huge tomatoes but it is not one of my favorites because of its' mild flavor; but I am growing it again this year in an area with a lower ph to see if that will put a little more tang in it.
I have only grown Anna Russian once and it made a huge vine but not many tomatoes; but will be trying it again also.
Growing Aunt Ginnie's Purple for the first time this year and so far it is looking really good.
I've never grown Black from Tula but I like most black tomatoes as long as you don't let them get overripe.

I really like your wanted list. I have seed for most of those if you need some for next year.
b54redMarianna's Peace was my most productive OP tomato 2 years ago. It needs to be pruned some or it will send out too many suckers and forks. I keep them to no more than 4 stems and every time they fork I cut one of the forks off. I have to do the same thing with Gary O' Sena or I end up with a huge bush and only a few tomatoes.

Old April 14, 2011   #6
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Hi Materlvr - I am just up the road in Sun City, actually now Menifee to be politically correct. Where is your good local nursery, I will be in Murrieta tomorrow, may stop by. thanks, Oh, BTW I seeded Druzba this year and have been giving away extras, I think I may have some still, if you want to squeeze them in I will look. Linda
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2011   #7
materlvr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Hi Materlvr - I am just up the road in Sun City, actually now Menifee to be politically correct. Where is your good local nursery, I will be in Murrieta tomorrow, may stop by. thanks, Oh, BTW I seeded Druzba this year and have been giving away extras, I think I may have some still, if you want to squeeze them in I will look. Linda
My nursery is in Newport Beach, Orange County. It's Roger's Gardens and they are a gorgeous nursery with tons of heirloom seedings. They stock the first week of March, the weekend they schedule special lecturers. Thanks for the offer, Druzba is my go-to tomato, I've had such great luck with that varity. Huge production! Box Car Willie, too.

I sure hope I'm happy with what I have. I planted last Sunday and have no more room, unfortunately!

Sure do thank you for your offer!
Old April 15, 2011   #8
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

well, I guess OC is not on the way to Murrieta and I have plenty, more than I need too! Glad to hear you have had good results here with Druzba, have not grown it before. I also have Mule Team this year which should be similar to Box Car Willie. Also a few Hybrids, Sun Gold, BrandyBoy and Big Beef, and a gazillion other heirlooms that only in my dreams did I ever have space for!
Old April 15, 2011   #9
rgoldman
Tomatovillian™

I'm up the road in Riverside. Here's a great source for heirloom tomato plants. They sell at several farmers market throughout Southern California.

http://www.elserscountryfarm.com/
rgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2011   #10
materlvr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoldman View Post
I'm up the road in Riverside. Here's a great source for heirloom tomato plants. They sell at several farmers market throughout Southern California.

http://www.elserscountryfarm.com/
Thank you for the link! I can always use another source if my seeds don't germinate! Really appreciate it!

Janie
Old April 15, 2011   #11
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

I didn't really like Box Car Willie that much. It split like crazy and the toms would start to go bad from all of the cracking. It is funny how tomatoes can be so different for different people. I really liked Momotaro the year I grew it. It was similar in size and color to Eva's Purple Ball but a bit earlier. It had a great flavor and was very productive.
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011   #12
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Hi Janie,

Haven't talked to you in a few yrs. We should have a tomato tasting this summer! We could even let some of those OC types come too.

You got some of my favorite tomatoes. Aunt Ginny's Purple is tops on my list, as well as Anna Russian (such good flavor and big output) I love black tomatoes and BfT has done very well for me. I didn't care all that much for Marianna's Peace but maybe it will do better in your garden. Mine was a bit soft and while tasty, didn't live up to the initial hype when it first came out.

I had to pick from what was left at the Cal State Fullerton Green Scene sale. Not much of a choice but did find a Lucky Cross and Green Drs. It's too late to start seeds now. I will check out that link. Would love to have Druzba...that's a good one.

I never prune my tomatoes because, with our hot dry summers, the fruit can get sunscald unless there is a lot of leaf coverage.
Old April 20, 2011   #13
materlvr
Tomatovillian™

Coronobarb!

Sooo glad to hear from you! It's been a loooong time! Hope you are doing well!

Our friend Steve Goto gives a lecture at Roger's Gardens every year, that's the weekend I should have gone to buy my tomatoes but I frankly forgot!

I don't have much experience with the ones I ended up with. Great to hear Aunt Ginnys Purple is so good. I've grown Druzba every year since I started growing tomatoes and it's probably my favorite for taste and production. I'm not sure I will like Black From Tula, but the plant was so healthy and the only other ones they had were Burpee (!) hybrids! That was at Anderson's Nursery in Poway. I should have just bought from Roger's, but hopefully I'll get some decent tomatoes!

I loved Kosovo for a heart tomato, and Marianna's Peace was yummy in my garden. Last year I grew Neves Arozean Red and OMG, what a glorious tomatoe! I'm setting up a light next year so I don't have to pray for sun!

What are you growing this year, and great to hear from you!
Old April 20, 2011   #14
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Janie, if you don't like the BfT tomatoes, save them for me...I will come get them.

Is Steve the guy who had the tasting in Temecula where we met? It's been so long...just remember those gorgeous geranium hanging baskets...I still have my plant out front.

I only have a couple of plants right now...not even in the ground. Hoping to get that done tomorrow while we have decent weather. My spring was taken up with getting my mom's estate and tax returns wrapped up...as well as my own. Just now getting time to prune my poor roses.

There's a thread in the tomato meet ups area, under 'other' for So Cal peeps. We should get together for a tasting. I'm thinking if there are only a few of us, we could piggy back on another tasting and meet in the parking lot...taste our own first. A few of us did that at the Tomatomania tasting at Hortus Orange yrs ago when Carolyn came out for a book signing.

I agree on Druzba and NAR...great tomatoes.
Old April 20, 2011   #15
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Hi Corona Barb, I still have those Druzbas if your interested, some xtra NAR too. Cherries, and who knows what else! I thought I would take the rest to an outreach my church is doing this Sat in Elsinore. If you would like some, send me a private message. If you can pick them up they are yours. And my poor roses have not been pruned either!