Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 5, 2013   #1
tedln

Default Tomato Colors!

My wife and I attended a "hamburger" party last week with family and friends. Everyone was assigned a component of hamburger to bring with the host providing the hamburger patties.

My wife and I took the vegetable selection on a large circular tray. I wanted too slice tomatoes large enough for one slice to cover a hamburger. I sliced them a little more than 1/4" thick. I sliced, Orange Minsk, JD;s Special C Tex, and Giant Belgium and located each variety in different positions on the tray. I wanted everyone to be able to compare the different color varieties. Many had never heard of a "black" tomato or seen an "orange" tomato except in the cherry varieties. Each of the three varieties had a very different flavor component typical to it's color. I really enjoyed the comments people made as they sampled tastes they had never experienced.

Ted
Old July 5, 2013   #2
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Great story, Ted.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2013   #3
ChilliJez
Tomatovillian™

I think every family should have a Ted to bring enlightenment.
ChilliJez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2013   #4
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilliJez View Post
! No Chilli. A "Ted" usually contributes confusion to any conversation instead of enlightenment. Most of what I contribute are only random thoughts and observations without enlightenment.

Are you on an allotment in the UK or do you have a home garden?

Ted
Old July 5, 2013   #5
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Agreed! Ted is denying it, but you can't deny truth.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2013   #6
ChilliJez
Tomatovillian™

Ted, I appreciate your contributions here but will allow you your modesty. I was touched by the thought of your family event with something to share and folks to appreciate it.

I've had an allotment in the past but I've moved home a number of times recently. They have become so popular in recent years that waiting lists are quite long. I'm guessing that "community gardens" guys refer to here are the same kind of thing. Is that so?

My current garden (rented home) is almost entirely paved or planted to mature shrubs so my growing space is restricted to 2 x 6' x 8' greenhouses and containers.

I should go to a more appropriate place here and introduce myself properly. Sorry for hijacking the thread, but to return it to the subject, the tomato that reminded me I should return my focus to interesting varieties Green Zebra. I had a gazpacho type cold soup in a restaurant on vacation last summer made from it. An absolute delight. So GWRs are in my spectrum.
ChilliJez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2013   #7
tedln

Quote:
Ted, I appreciate your contributions here but will allow you your modesty. I was touched by the thought of your family event with something to share and folks to appreciate it.

I've had an allotment in the past but I've moved home a number of times recently. They have become so popular in recent years that waiting lists are quite long. I'm guessing that "community gardens" guys refer to here are the same kind of thing. Is that so?

My current garden (rented home) is almost entirely paved or planted to mature shrubs so my growing space is restricted to 2 x 6' x 8' greenhouses and containers.

I should go to a more appropriate place here and introduce myself properly. Sorry for hijacking the thread, but to return it to the subject, the tomato that reminded me I should return my focus to interesting varieties Green Zebra. I had a gazpacho type cold soup in a restaurant on vacation last summer made from it. An absolute delight. So GWRs are in my spectrum.
ChilliJez,

Welcome to Tomatoville. Don't worry about hijacking my threads. I hijack my threads all the time and it hasn't bothered me at all.

I find the tradition of allotments very interesting. I belong to an allotment forum in the UK. I like the way allotment holders make a social experience out of gardening. In the United States, community gardens are a revival of a necessity conducted in WWII to alleviate food shortages. They are not written into law in the manner they are in the UK. In the United States, many communities will not support the community garden concept. They are afraid of the inherent liability and costs associated with them.

Ted