Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 29, 2018   #1396
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
As I stated in my season review, for some reason my outdoor KP tomatoes ripened late. Most began ripening after 90 days (about September 1st), but after that I got quite a few every day until the frost we had three days ago, when there were still a lot on the plant. The two plants produced so many for a while, that I froze lots for sauce later. And I'm sure that sauce will be delicious! I love the burst of tartness from the gel when you first bite into the fruit, followed by sublime sweetness when you chew the flesh.

I'm sure the tardiness was caused by my conditions. I had to water them daily do to the heat (It was the hottest summer here ever.), and I tried a time-release fertilizer that was too heavy on the nitrogen.

Steve
At least you got to taste them. Great news, that's exactly how I describe the taste too. I hope it isn't so hot for you next year. When I visited Sweden this summer,they were reporting having to slaughter dairy cows because they couldn't feed them due to the drought.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2018   #1397
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

had a bit of a breeze blowing the other day, threatening to lift the cover off the mini greenhouse where some of the tomato seedlings are, so I grabbed a length of wood and placed along side to block. Normally not a problem, but I did not check for Snails, Naughty Woz, lost half a dozen plants, have backups of all vars fortunately, but one was a KARMA Pink, impressed I was NOT!!. Survivors had there mug shot taken. Pots are 3 inches across for size reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0932.JPG (210.3 KB, 217 views)
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2018   #1398
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Australian snails have good taste
Keep those leaves dry
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2018   #1399
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=KarenO;716177]Australian snails have good taste

lol, just had to laugh at that.

Keep those leaves dry

taken Just after watering, normally dry leaves, the greenhouses in which I have them are basic pull over plastic covers over lightweight tubular frames. Covers tie onto frames but there is nothing holding them down to the bottom of the frames, will need to look at tie down method, may be able to change that.
Old October 6, 2018   #1400
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Karen and Marsha, I still have KP’s ripening indoors. Mine also took quite awhile to ripen and I believe it was the extreme heat and possibly that I didn’t water every day, although the plant never looked like it was suffering. I finally took it down about 2 weeks ago. It was a great tomato - ranging from tart to sweet depending on how ripe you wanted them. Looking forward to growing out some of your other creations!
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2018   #1401
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

SharonRossy says: "It was a great tomato - ranging from tart to sweet depending on how ripe you wanted them."

================================================== ====

I had said in a previous post that the fruits harvested from the plants I had in the main garden had a touch of sweetness.

Marsha and Karen had commented that they had not noticed any sweetness.

This difference could be attributed to time on the vine as Sharon eludes to. All of the fruits I consumed were ripened on the vine. Even on the same truss, one fruit could be tart and pleasant, and the next one would be complex and sweet. I concluded that the most probable reason was that most of the sugars were developing late. After that, all my tastings were all complex and sweet. I did not notice any significant difference between vine ripened and those that finished ripening on the counter.

And, I'll echo Sharon's words above. "Looking forward to growing out some of your other creations!".

Keep 'em coming !!!!
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2018   #1402
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Taste is always subjective but I think both Marsha and I would call them rich and complex tangy and sweet for us. For me personally (biased or not) the KARMAS are my favourite cherries of any I have grown.
I agree that they taste essentially the same ripened off the vine and if grown outdoors it is often a good idea to watch the weather and pick blushing fruit if rain is forecast to help prevent splitting, that is something I do with all my tomatoes here because I prefer delicate skins on tomatoes I grow in my own garden.
We have been very pleased with all of the positive feedback on the pink and all the others will be made available to try for spring. Marsha is growing out all of them over winter in her Florida garden
KarenO
Old October 9, 2018   #1403
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Distribution started today, with one seedling passed on to Mcsee.
Old October 9, 2018   #1404
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

I'll give it my best shot. lol
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2018   #1405
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Taste is always subjective but I think both Marsha and I would call them rich and complex tangy and sweet for us. For me personally (biased or not) the KARMAS are my favourite cherries of any I have grown.
I agree that they taste essentially the same ripened off the vine and if grown outdoors it is often a good idea to watch the weather and pick blushing fruit if rain is forecast to help prevent splitting, that is something I do with all my tomatoes here because I prefer delicate skins on tomatoes I grow in my own garden.
We have been very pleased with all of the positive feedback on the pink and all the others will be made available to try for spring. Marsha is growing out all of them over winter in her Florida garden
KarenO
Yes, most of mine were sweet with some acid for balance.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2018   #1406
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Default KARMA pink

Hello everyone.
Today 10/14/18 I think that one of the last tomatoes of my pink KARMA, still have small tomato plants trying to ripen, but I do not know if they would endure the cold.
Date of final transplant to my jadin 05/01/2018
Date of first ripe tomato 06/28/2018 (58 days).
I still have tomatoes today.
Flavor incredible and delicious, I think the best option is to catch them when they are well ripe, a smoky touch at the end of taste and balance between sweetness and acid
Problems with severe septoria, I am sure that my pink KARMA will give better results next season, since the time in Spain was very adverse this season
Thanks Karen and Marsha
Nico
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-10-14_16-08-42-087.jpg (610.1 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-10-14_16-11-53-440.jpg (243.3 KB, 147 views)

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2018   #1407
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

The last tomatoes of the season almost always lose their flavor and the last pink KARMA are delicious and even better than at the beginning.
KARMA pink is a jewel:sí:

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2018   #1408
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

How wonderful that you still have them Nico!
Thank you so
Much for posting and I am hoping you will grow the others
In future
Karen
Old October 19, 2018   #1409
encore
Tomatovillian™

last KARMA pink! and it's a double!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (105.5 KB, 93 views)
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2018   #1410
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default KARMA PINK - Season 2

I will get a picture soon; but they are robust and flowering.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote