Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old May 12, 2013   #1
gggeek
Tomatovillian™

Default Good sign or bad sign, mini tubers at plant out of true seedlings

I was able to get around to planting out my seedlings started from true potato seed today. I was a bit surprised to see so many little tubers already started. However, I am not sure if this is a good or bad sign at plant out or not?
Old May 12, 2013   #2
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I had the same situation before. Tom Wagner responded if I remember correctly that it was possible indication of earlier tuber setting , a short variety. Also it could be too long time in the small pot but some were just fine, so I liked the 1st possibility. I had too many seedlings back then to track that info so I did not. If you give them plenty of space now and good care those tubers should continue to grow and bulk up. Good luck!
Old May 13, 2013   #3
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

I try to plant out early to keep that from happening. I have also seen it with pull starts, which I now plant directly to the field from the trays.
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013   #4
gggeek
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmontanez View Post
I had the same situation before. Tom Wagner responded if I remember correctly that it was possible indication of earlier tuber setting , a short variety. Also it could be too long time in the small pot but some were just fine, so I liked the 1st possibility. I had too many seedlings back then to track that info so I did not. If you give them plenty of space now and good care those tubers should continue to grow and bulk up. Good luck!
Well there were 10-15 seeds per container. Tom recommended I just plant all the seedlings together in a single spot, so that is what I did. Only a couple of seedlings had early tubers in the pots. Will keep an eye on that batch and see what comes of it.
Old May 15, 2013   #5
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

When I transplant TPS seedlings to the field .....most of the time I do not break off any of the tubers developing.....but I have found that the plants continue to grow more vigorously if I do. And...many times I find the little tubers don't always grow more as the plant grows it puts more effort into newer stolons and the resulting tubers are bigger than the original tiny ones you see when transplanting.

Wendy has it done pretty well, I must admit.

When and during the times I have multiple seedlings in the inserts and don't take the time to separate them.....they seem to do alright in the field. Most of the stronger seedlings dominate and that is kinda what I am looking for anyway. It may be that I am encouraging the stronger seedlings that tend to be later maturing....but Oh, well! It is fun to dig up those hills and find upwards of a dozen colors, shades, shapes, etc., all tumble about.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013   #6
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Tom for your kind words.

I separated a lot of TPS seedlings and is a long tiring experience. Clump planting sounds really good after that experience!