Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 11, 2016   #1
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Default Ruby Surprise

I am growing the tomato 'Ruby Surprise' from TomatoEden. I have not seen it listed anywhere else other than Pomidorlandia.

Has anyone else grown this variety? And if so, what are your impressions on it?

For me this is a robust plant with red/brown fruit with a very unique flavor. I have never tasted another tomato like it. The fruit has very, very few seeds and was a large oblate fruit.
Old August 11, 2016   #2
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Have you tried emailing TomatoEden or Pomidorlandia? Maybe they know if its also under a different name?
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2016   #3
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooty View Post
Have you tried emailing TomatoEden or Pomidorlandia? Maybe they know if its also under a different name?

Yes I have. I am still waiting for their response. In the meantime I was hoping that one of my Tomatoville neighbors knew something about it.
Old August 12, 2016   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
I am growing the tomato 'Ruby Surprise' from TomatoEden. I have not seen it listed anywhere else other than Pomidorlandia.

Has anyone else grown this variety? And if so, what are your impressions on it?

For me this is a robust plant with red/brown fruit with a very unique flavor. I have never tasted another tomato like it. The fruit has very, very few seeds and was a large oblate fruit.
Well, they don't call 'm SURPRISE for nothin

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2017   #5
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if it is the same as this one:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=37214

Sadly, we never did receive feedback on this.....

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2017   #6
MissS
Tomatovillian™

No I don't think that this is the same plant. My plant grew one huge tomato on a truss with one or two very small ones set very close to the main tomato. The very small dime size tomatoes would not grow any further until the larger one was first picked. It was very difficult to remove just the large one and so I usually ended up pulling both or all three.
Old January 31, 2017   #7
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

I tried some searching, and I know this is not what you're looking for, but it's definitely a Ruby's surprise. It would have surprised me too, as I've never heard of this happening.

http://www.myplainview.com/news/arti...to-8396187.php

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2017   #8
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Ha ha! I don't think that either James's or my submissions are the same thing. Looking forward to hearing more about the brown Ruby

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2017   #9
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Ruby Surprise for me was an extremely large brown tomato. So large that I sent AKMark some seeds to try for growing or breeding competition tomatoes with. Ruby Surprise was by far the largest tomato in my 2016. These fruits were larger than any Delicious that I have ever grown. It had very passable taste as well as good texture. I wonder what this plant can do when put to the test and to grow only one fruit from it. The only major problem I see for growing the monsters is that I did not get any mega blooms on my plant.
Old February 13, 2021   #10
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Ruby Surprise for me was an extremely large brown tomato. So large that I sent AKMark some seeds to try for growing or breeding competition tomatoes with. Ruby Surprise was by far the largest tomato in my 2016. These fruits were larger than any Delicious that I have ever grown. It had very passable taste as well as good texture. I wonder what this plant can do when put to the test and to grow only one fruit from it. The only major problem I see for growing the monsters is that I did not get any mega blooms on my plant.
Well, thank you for the information, er warning. Don't know if the biggest tomato in your life is quite the right choice as I am so out of shape this year (and not getting any younger either.) Would like to see pics if anyone has them to further convince me. LOL.

Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote