Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 3, 2021   #31
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Very interesting, never knew that there was such a chicken, maybe some day I'll try some!
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2021   #32
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

i have a few silver lace wyandottes, NOT show grade, just from TSC.
they are brown egg layers. i like them.

i didn't know you had chickens darryl, but not surprised. also not surprised
they are a complex project. seems to be your style.

keith
Old February 4, 2021   #33
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Such pretty birds!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2021   #34
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Interestingly. Tatiana switched from tomatoes to chickens, Darrel walks slowly as well. It can't be expected from me, because it probably wouldn't work in an apartment in a panel house.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2021   #35
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

I just came back to this site a few weeks ago, as I want to get back into tomato growing after a few bad personal years, and a couple failed seedling crops in a row got me so discouraged. I bought just a few seed packs this spring and was hoping to swap for more - but there isn't a lot of swapping going on these days it seems! And so many fewer posts! It's kind of surprising. I am really hoping for a good tomato year. I need it.

But I'm just in my 30's, not too old to garden or use this technology! I will post and respond and help keep things going !
LindyAdele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2021   #36
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Darrel's chickens sound amazing!

I'd love to have got into breeding chickens when I was younger. I have some TSC hybrids who are great layers, and I'm also very thankful for the chicken manure for the garden .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2021   #37
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

LindyAdele- I ran The Carolyn Tribute and would be happy to pass some seeds to you in her honor! Pm me.
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2021   #38
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

I agree with all of Tomatoville's positive posts in this thread, especially those mentioning the vast amount of knowledge gained and the existing available database.
Pete
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2021   #39
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Yes, it is with great relief that tomatoville continues.
This is my only garden forum. When the end date was announced, I had to re-asses time spent.
I relied too heavily on posting results here.
2020 season I worked on organizing my own files/results.
I was stopping by every few days, then once a week, then once a month.

Nice to see some re-visiting. The 'ticker-tape' below shows 14 visitors at the moment. Many
are viewing the threads, learning, reading through the archives.

With seeds suppliers behind and sell outs, we seem to have many second year gardeners. 2020 had
chicken hatcheries selling out. And grapenuts,

Our local HudsonValley grass fed meat farm share pre-covid was just skipping along. Now has a massive wait list.
The local CSA opened to the public. With so many family volunteers they nearly doubled their garden size and
production. As horrid and depressing as this has been, it has been a good education for our youth...to add something
positive.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2021   #40
Soilsniffer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoDon View Post

I wish I could remember the name of the guy that was here at the beginning, basically a troll, who showed pictures of a seedling he claimed was growing under the snow. He didn't last long!
Don: Wasn't that Chickenman? I think his handle on here was ' Cman '. Actually, he *did* last long on this forum, perhaps because of his Sheldon Cooper-like quirkiness.

What led to his removal was what you mentioned -- he claimed to be able to grow a tomato plant in the dead of winter, using those Wall-O-Water things to surround the plant and ... wait for it ... generate heat.
Old February 7, 2021   #41
Shapshftr
Tomatovillian™

Wait, what? Wall-O-Waters, outside? What zone is he in? I grew toms over the winter in my house. I'm in zone 5, so there's no possible way to grow them outdoors, without some other magic!
Shapshftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2022   #42
MarcVillet
Tomatovillian™

Hi, everyone

This is my first comment here, I've actually been reading along quietly for about 3 years and I still find the forum very interesting.

However, I believe that it is not made easy for new interested people to register here.

A long time ago I tried to register here, which failed, some time after that attempt it worked, but it said I had to be activated first by an admin or so, which then took so long that I actually only now noticed that I am finally unlocked.

I also wanted to register someone else for this forum recently, but had to realize again that no registrations are accepted at the moment (at least that's what it says when you try to register).

I can't comment on the other reasons why it's been quiet around here, but I strongly suspect that the difficulty for new people to register here is one reason, at least it was for me.
MarcVillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2022   #43
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVillet View Post
Hi, everyone

This is my first comment here, I've actually been reading along quietly for about 3 years and I still find the forum very interesting.

However, I believe that it is not made easy for new interested people to register here.

A long time ago I tried to register here, which failed, some time after that attempt it worked, but it said I had to be activated first by an admin or so, which then took so long that I actually only now noticed that I am finally unlocked.

I also wanted to register someone else for this forum recently, but had to realize again that no registrations are accepted at the moment (at least that's what it says when you try to register).

I can't comment on the other reasons why it's been quiet around here, but I strongly suspect that the difficulty for new people to register here is one reason, at least it was for me.
Thank you for your important observation on "new future interested people" trying to join Tomatoville, who may want to learn to grow their own food or learn how to farm. I too stayed quiet, because I was followed around the web by people around me as I tried to save the Food History of my Great Grandfather for over 20 years as my family suffered from the misunderstanding of my Research. Trust Me I wanted to protect the people here, as I was being missed understood, buying historical farmland, while my family suffered. I put up Pretty white fences on mini-farms to keep the Community Beautuful With our Pass and Present Governor of Virginia, I am being understood and feel safe and Free; but keeping the Prayers going. I went looking for some Former Members who were my friends, and they are OK but enjoying their Retirement. I too want to retire someday. It's been hard learning the Law suffering from Dyslexia, when all I want to do is Farm like my Great Grandfather, Amen!!!!!!!!!.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2022   #44
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

Default Please remove my account

Hello, Please remove my account and delete all posts. Thank you.

There seems to be no option to close my account in my profile settings.

I would like my account removed completely from this site. Thank you.
Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote