Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 26, 2013   #211
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Wow! If that's the case, I want assasin bugs too!
I have 54 plants but you only need to put them out every 4 feet or so to be effective. I get them at Amazon and they are cheap, $13 for 15 and each card lasts the entire season. I get 2 packs to get the free shipping. I know you aren't particularly interested, but if it is OK I am posting the link in case others may be. It cut down on my Neem spraying to almost nothing, so I love them.
Here's the link:http://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Sticky-...y+yellow+traps
Marsha
Ginger, I thought I read somewhere that it is the blue sticky traps which most atraccts thrips. One anecdotal bit of evidence I have of this is that I asmall plastic babypool on the backyard patio about 10' away from some of my tomato vines. That pool is the exact color of those blue sticky traps, almost cerulean, but a bit lighter in tone. It's constantly swarming with thrips top to bottom, which makes it easy spray them down on the pool surface. Next day, they're more. Unfortunately, it never seemed to be enough to reduce the population in the plants. Maybe I should hang a few plastic pools up above the cages.
-naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #212
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_willus_d View Post
Ginger, I thought I read somewhere that it is the blue sticky traps which most atraccts thrips. One anecdotal bit of evidence I have of this is that I asmall plastic babypool on the backyard patio about 10' away from some of my tomato vines. That pool is the exact color of those blue sticky traps, almost cerulean, but a bit lighter in tone. It's constantly swarming with thrips top to bottom, which makes it easy spray them down on the pool surface. Next day, they're more. Unfortunately, it never seemed to be enough to reduce the population in the plants. Maybe I should hang a few plastic pools up above the cages.
-naysen
I don't know Naysen, that may just be the case. I'll have to research that. I know the yellow did the trick, but it sure could be that blue is even better. I got a good laugh from that swimming pool visual I just got.
-Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2013   #213
dice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Ginger, I thought I read somewhere that it is the blue sticky traps which most atraccts thrips.
That was me, in your blossom drop thread. I read it in some document
on thrip management about the same time.

Here we go:
Quote:
Monitoring Population Levels
Thrips can be monitored by placing blue sticky cards throughout the
greenhouse. Sticky cards should be placed near vents, doors, and
periodically throughout the greenhouse. Treatment thresholds will
depend on the type of crop and the presence of TOSPO viruses.
http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/444/444-281/444-281.html

It could be that both blue and yellow sticky traps will catch
thrips, and for garden pest control one might want to use
one of each wherever you place them (instead of one or
the other) if one can get both kinds for a reasonable price.

(One could also get Tangle-Trap in a can and apply it your
own card stock, but I do not know if that would really be
cheaper.)

Last edited by dice; June 28, 2013 at 03:24 AM. Reason: sp
dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014   #214
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Would this be TSWV? Or some kind of bacteria speck, or maybe septoria? I'm leaning towards TSWV- this popped up on half of my plants literally overnight. I had one sick plant that I didn't pull right away as I was trying to figure out what was wrong with it. Two days later half of my tomatoes have this. I have seen an occasional thrip in my yard but never seen the on the actual plants.

Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014   #215
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Are the photos you show of newer leaves, or more towards the ground?
It looks like TSWV to me, but typically I see the new foliage show the
symptoms first.
Also, you can inspect the flowers to see if you have thrips as that's where I usually find them. I like to plant yellow marigolds to keep the thrips away from the tomato flowers. It seems to help in my case.

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014   #216
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

I can't say what that is, unfortunately. It could fit a few things, including TSVW. I'm pretty certain I had that last year, so the carrier thrips are/were in the N. Tx area. If you have thrips, check the blossoms...they love to go there. The blossoms will quickly wither and turn brown if they are under attack. I've applied Spinosad one time this year because I saw some thrips back in April. I've also used need twice and insecticidal soap twice, fyi. I'm holding off on using take down until something catastrophic looking comes along. Sorry to see this! ;-(

Dewayne Mater

Last edited by Dewayne mater; May 6, 2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: typos
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014   #217
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It could be TSWV but it could also be caused by heavy rains over an extended time. If it is TSWV you will know for sure in a week or so on young plants as the growth tip will start to look burned or withered. If it is bacterial you can spray the dilute bleach spray on the plant or apply a copper fungicide and see if that helps. If it proves to be TSWV and the plants are young then they need to be pulled and replaced. Older healthy plants can sometimes withstand TSWV for months before dying but young ones don't last too long and have little chance of producing any fruit.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014   #218
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help, since this is my second year growing tomatoes I don't have enough experience growing tomatoes to diagnose this problem on my own.

This really looks like TSWV but this is also happening on plants that have not flowered yet, and it's not always on the newer leaves. Sometimes it appears on the lower leaves, sometimes it's on one stem in the middle, and sometimes its the ones at the top.

I checked the ones that did have flowers but didn't find any thrips hiding in there.

We did have a couple of rainy weeks last month, but it's been pretty dry this week. I have drip irrigation installed on the tomato bed, but I should check to see if the sprinkler from the lawn might be misting the tomatoes.

My next best guess is bacterial canker, or potato virus Y
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2014   #219
parah
Tomatovillian™

Maybe this is worth metioning, a 3-way heirloom cross that is supposed to be TSWV resistant.

https://www.mariannasheirloomseeds.c...te-detail.html
parah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014   #220
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have been seeing some thrips in my garden the last few weeks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that few or no plants will become infected. I saw my first case of TSWV around here on Tuesday at a friends house. He was showing off his tomatoes and I was walking along admiring them when I came upon a beautiful grafted Mrs. Benson that had TSWV. He is only a few miles from me and only has about half as many tomatoes growing as I do so chances are I'll be seeing it soon.

Bill
Old May 29, 2014   #221
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Bill (aka Papa Vic) will have to enlighten us, if he so chooses, which TSWV tolerant variety he crossed to make this one.

However, no TSWV tolerance is inferred for this particular variety.

Bill,

Sorry to hear TSWV may be headed your way... hopefully you'll survive with minimal to no infection.
I may have it on a Plum Regal plant, but at this point, I'm not sure due to the effected leaves being old and new, and not just new foliage.....

Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by parah View Post
Maybe this is worth metioning, a 3-way heirloom cross that is supposed to be TSWV resistant.

https://www.mariannasheirloomseeds.c...te-detail.html

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2014   #222
Sharpcheddar
Tomatovillian™

It looks like I got some TSWV in one of my gardens, ripped out 5 plants yesterday
Sharpcheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2015   #223
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have lost 4 volunteers and 4 of my large grafted plants to TSWV so far this season so this is turning out to be a fairly bad year for it. I've also lost a few bell peppers. I hate it that it is in my best looking Brandywine Sudduth's that has a wonderful fruit set but I don't know if any will make it to ripe.

Bill
Old June 21, 2015   #224
b54red
Tomatovillian™

This past week I lost 2 more bell pepper plants and 4 more tomatoes to TSWV so this year is turning out to be the 2nd worst year for TSWV for me since I started gardening.

Bill
Old July 7, 2015   #225
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Since my last post on this subject I have lost another couple of tomatoes and peppers to TSWV. It just keeps popping up here an there with no rhyme or reason. No two plants next to each other have gotten it either which is unusual. The plants are totally scattered throughout the garden. Oh well it has opened up a little space here and there giving me a little more room and allowing better air flow. Looking on the bright side.

Bill