Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old May 22, 2013   #16
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

I'm bad in the soil test area. Never done one. This is probably not a good answer but I use small quantities (3lbs/100 ft) of a 5-3-4 seed meal, chicken manure,rock phosphate product. My own home produced compost made with substantial amounts of sheep manure and straw and 5lbs/100 ft lime. And last Fall for the first time I worked in 30lbs/ 100 ft of Basalt dust from a local rock quarry. So, to my mind I am using a well balanced set of ammendments. I also plant a cover crop of winter rye in the Fall and work into the soil in the Spring. I am continually working to increase the level of organic matter in my soil which, from the reading I have done, should help to keep the trace elements in balance. Again, I know this is a poor answer and not a substitute for a soil test. I should have a soil test done.

Glenn
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013   #17
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

Stacy,

I agree with your philosophy 100% I do the same as you but just started experimenting with mulching a couple of my beds last season. Not only did I like the organic matter breaking down all season but the reduction in the amount of weeding I had to do was a revelation. I will have to say I have not spent much time learning about "no till" but I have never used a tiller and only chop/work my winter rye and ammendments into the first 2-3 inches of soil. Not sure if that qualifies as "no till" but that is the extent to which I disturb the soil.

Glenn
Old May 23, 2013   #18
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

I think tqn 626’s Dragon Fruit test confirms that his soil is low on micro-nutrients,
and that has always been the purpose of Azomite.

Back on tomato plants, I have used Azomite on a control group, then ran out and saw some slight better performance with the Azomite powder. Probably not enough to justify the expense, but I can’t think of a growing plant that would not benefit.

We don’t have hydroponics stores around so my source is kelp4less.com

As I’ve typed before my main ‘boom’ happened when spreading & tilling in premium alfalfa either in the spring throughout the entire garden.

This year I transplanted out in the garden with a small mix of blood meal, rock phosphate and azomite worked in around the hole but not concentrated at the bottom.

I’ll side dress with Tomato -Tone later on and water with a kelp solution during a dry spell and that is all they get.

P.S. By working in organic mulches and compost annualy the entire garden is a fisherman’s dream for bait worms.
Old May 23, 2013   #19
Master_Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I started gardening last year. When I became aware of how bad my soil was, I took action. While I was waiting for the soil food web to develop, I started foliar feeding my plants. I read the ff plants is 8 to 20 times more effective. I suspect the amount of improvement also depends on how good/bad your soil is when you start.

The results: My wife was fishing for more space in our freezer and happened across some snow peas she grew a couple years earlier. We were able to place them side by side. They were about 1/3 the size of the foliar fed ones and the FF taste was significantly better.

Having said that, I would expect that there is a big difference between doing nothing and doing something. What remains to be seen is how this year will be compared to last year. At some point there should be diminishing returns. I think that may take a few years to reach that point.

A Brix meter would have some value here for doing comparisons, but I haven't acquired one yet.
Master_Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013   #20
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

Master Gardener,

What are you foliar feeding with? Why are you doing to develop the soil food web? What kind of garden are you attempting to improve the soil in? Converted lawn, raised bed, containers? I really enjoy snow peas right off the vine. Waiting for mine to develop right now. Hopefully the gradual improvements I'm making in my soil grow better tasting snow pea too.

Glenn
Old May 23, 2013   #21
Chrissykin
Tomatovillian™

Growing your greens has a bunch of videos on YouTube about using rock dust. He suggests getting it here http://www.rootnaturally.com/store/10-azomite-rock-dust and in one of his videos he gives a code for 10 percent off. He buys his azomite locally but he did a video on mail order suppliers so everyone can find the different supplies he uses.

I put some in all my earthboxes this year and some in every planting hole with my flowers a week ago so I will be curious to see how it works.
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013   #22
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

I just read an article from ACRES about Azomite and I read the book Secrets of the Soil which had a section on Azomite. Sounds like some exciting dust. I would love to try some but can't find it localy and I am unwilling to pay the shipping to get it delivered. I am very interested in hearing about your experience with it. From my reading it should show results fairly fast.

Glenn

Last edited by COMPOSTER; May 24, 2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old May 24, 2013   #23
Master_Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMPOSTER View Post
Master Gardener,

What are you foliar feeding with? Why are you doing to develop the soil food web? What kind of garden are you attempting to improve the soil in? Converted lawn, raised bed, containers? I really enjoy snow peas right off the vine. Waiting for mine to develop right now. Hopefully the gradual improvements I'm making in my soil grow better tasting snow pea too.

Glenn
I was foliar feeding Calcium with Kelp and also compost tea (AACT). The AACT, when used as a soil drench, adds to the soil food web. My garden is a vegetable garden in a converted corner of my lawn. I live on 1/3 acre in a development, so no chickens, etc.

I used straw mulch last year with good results. Then I discovered wood chips which I'm hoping are both more durable and even better for my soil. Time will tell. I just applied them earlier this month. Pictures to follow.

Also, last year I added a 24 inch layer of leaves to my gardens which left me with about a one inch 'O' layer under the mulch. The worms love it. I won't be able to do the exact same thing this fall because of the wood chips.
Old May 24, 2013   #24
Master_Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I just read an article from ACRES about Azomite and I read the book Secrets of the Soil which had a section on Azomite. Sounds like some exciting dust. I would love to try some but can't find it localy and I am unwilling to pay the shipping to get it delivered. I am very interested in hearing about your experience with it. From my reading it should show results fairly fast.

Glenn
I hear you on the shipping. It's painful. I only use it to treat seeds that I direct sow and a teaspoon under tomatoes & peppers when setting them out so it goes a bit further.

I did find a store about a 3 hr drive away that sells it in bulk. You can bring a 5 gallon bucket, etc. and buy what you want. It's way cheaper that way but I need to have a reason to make the 3 hr drive.
Old May 24, 2013   #25
Master_Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default RE: Snow Pea

Quote:
Master Gardener,

... I really enjoy snow peas right off the vine. Waiting for mine to develop right now. Hopefully the gradual improvements I'm making in my soil grow better tasting snow pea too.

Glenn
Here is a picture of my 2012 snow peas.

I had a problem with slugs. I tried using beer but it didn't work, until I gave it to the slugs.
Old May 24, 2013   #26
Chrissykin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Glenn
The link I posted has free shipping. I bought mine on amazon and it came with free shipping as well. I bought 10 pounds but I could use a lot more according to the grow greens guy.

I won't be a good judge of how well it works though. I have changed so many things up this year it will be hard to pinpoint exactly what is working. I do know my transplants have doubled in size in a week and a half in my flower beds. If that is any indication.
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013   #27
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=Master_Gardener;350696]I was foliar feeding Calcium with Kelp and also compost tea (AACT). The AACT, when used as a soil drench, adds to the soil food web.

I've never foliar fed but I like what you are using. A lot of the reading I do advocates making more calcium available to crops and ultimately the consumer of those crops. I've been wanting to add some Kelp meal to my compost for quite a while. I can get it local, but once again I have a tough time rationalizing the cost. Supposed to be cold, windy and rainy tomorrow, might just have to stop being so frugal and go out an buy some. Lots of trace elements in kelp. Good for you, good for your soil.
Old May 24, 2013   #28
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissykin View Post
The link I posted has free shipping. I bought mine on amazon and it came with free shipping as well. I bought 10 pounds but I could use a lot more according to the grow greens guy.

I won't be a good judge of how well it works though. I have changed so many things up this year it will be hard to pinpoint exactly what is working. I do know my transplants have doubled in size in a week and a half in my flower beds. If that is any indication.
I think the hardcore remineralizers reccomend using 1lb/ sq ft. I wish Azomite was a lot less expensive. I would really love to do a controlled expeeriment against the rock dust I was fortunate enough to pick up for free at the local quarry. Rock dust, also called float, is a by product of the quarry industry, So, if you have a quarry near you you may be able to get some very inexpensively or free. A lot of folks that advocate its use reccommend you do just that if possible.
Old May 25, 2013   #29
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

For those on East Coast you're more likely to get Gaia Green Glacial Rock dust.
tqn626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013   #30
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqn626 View Post
For those on East Coast you're more likely to get Gaia Green Glacial Rock dust.
I think you are right but I can't even find that. I went to 3 True Value hardwares and an Agway and they all looked at me like I had 2 heads when I aksed if they carried or could order rock dust. They all had small bags of green sand and rock phosphate But nothing like Gaia Green or Azomite. It seems that every independently owned garden center is forced into carrying similar products to the big box stores to be able to compete. Basically no one really carries anything unique in my area. When I do find something I want locally I end up buying as much as I can afford/store to make sure if they decide to stop selling it I don't have to spend $40 on shipping to get a $30 bag of soil ammendment shipped to my house. I wanted to try kelp meal last year and the price to ship a 44lb bag to my house was more than the price of the kelp meal.