Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 27, 2007   #1
obispo45
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone Enter County/State Fairs?

Title of my post just about sums er' up. I entered for the first time last year(entered a "giant" pumpkin way back when I was 6yrs old) and much to my surprise had a blast! Its not that I dislike(d) fairs or anything like that...has more to do with me being a pretty mellow dude and not really being a fan of huge crowds. Sporting events and beer tents not included. OK. So I get my premium book a few weeks back and lo and behold there are five new tomato categories. Granted its new stuff and obviously, extremely generalized and no need to get into detail or debates but two of them are: Heirloom Tomato, large, 5 examples & Heirloom Tomato, med-small, 5 examples.

Talking about a County Fair....haven't checked out the State Fair categories yet, but plan on entering a bunch. Attendance wise this is the biggest County Fair in Minnesota. I did well last year, especially with the peppers. Heres where it gets interesting though. When I went to pick up my check and ribbons, and take home my produce the night the fair was closing there was a note enclosed with my huge winning check($33 BTW). An anonymous, horticultural judge wrote that the cultivar that I entered in the Paste/Roma Tomato category...Speckled Roman...was far and away the "....most inquired about variety regardless of vegetable type in 15 years that I have worked and judged this fair...Many of the other judges also agree with my assessment. Make certain that you consider entering your beautiful vegetables in the State Fair. Can't wait to see what you bring us in 2007!! Congratulations." Still have that note...I'm sentimental bout' stuff like that8). Never made it to state fair..following pictures were taken about week, 10 days before the state fair. The 100 Year Hail Storm(wrecked every last plant other than 2 chiles) and my attempt at post-storm humor...LOL!

Well that note made my week! Though in hindsight I'm still steamed that I only received a red 2nd place in that category. Obviously its a beauty contest, I understand that but I'm glad the "heirlooms" will be represented. Would like to imagine/hope that somehow, albeit indirectly that in a very small way I may have been involved. Best part was talking "shop" with many of the other entrants last night of the fair. Produced a few converts and have stayed in touch with a couple...stiff competition is brewing!! Saw some early Orange Oxhearts and Golden Monarchs of a fellow entrent/convert that may be really tough to beat, might get my butt kicked. Good for him!!

Could obviously care less about winning stuff, just like to meet some like minded folks and score some seriously good Gyros! Anyone else fair bound? If so have fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abby and hail 037.jpg (69.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg abby and hail 038.jpg (136.2 KB, 21 views)
obispo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2007   #2
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

That looks like something Mark Feron would grow. Under snow, of course. I'll bet they go good with iceberg lettuce.

I have to agree with the judge on being unique! Nice job!

Don
Old July 27, 2007   #3
keithaxis
Tomatovillian™

My wife and I enter veggies in our fair (Puyallup Fair). I hoped to get some beefsteaks this year for the fair but I never get the good ripe ones until after the fair in early september. But we did win 1st place for our garlic last year and got a 3rd place for our onions. The wife also submits zuchhini bread and pepper jams and salsa..we love it checking out the veggies for comparison...at our fair you need 3 of each type that are very consistant in shape, size, color, etc...
keithaxis is offline   Reply With Quote