Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old October 4, 2014   #31
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

All the stuff I freeze goes on a shelf in the freezer spread out wax paper I let it freeze and then put it in freezer bags.
I do this with chicken and everything.
Then when I want something I just open the bag and get out what I want.
I will go back and flip it from time to time as it freezes.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2014   #32
bower
Tomatovillian™

I'm on a mission now, to find out how to make green peppers less bitter. I have peppers with no chance to ripen, and I really don't like the bitter green. I did an internet search, and they said to roast and skin em, and use salt rather than sweet to prepare em. Any advice or recipe suggestions?

I don't know why green taste is great in a jalapeno but horrible in a sweet pepper.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2014   #33
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

https://ag.purdue.edu/hla/fruitveg/M...ard_Pepper.pdf

I might try Olympus. Can anyone comment on taste. My neighbors prefer them green <)
More red Marconi for me !

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2014   #34
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
... My neighbors prefer them green ...
I am done with bell-type peppers that start out with green flesh -- regardless of the color of the skin. It's not a taste I enjoy, unless of course we are talking about baked stuffed peppers and then I want a real European Pimento cultivar. The truly red or yellow fleshed Marconi's and the Giant Szegedi (which are only 3" to 5") are right up my alley for fresh eating and grilling.
Old November 13, 2014   #35
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

The Giant Szegedi and a few other green bells are on my wish list from one of your prior posts. My neighbors requested large green bells, for you guessed it, stuffed peppers. I think they would also grill them green.

I think of pimentos as being small... Are you making bite sized stuffed pepper hors doeuvres (that sounds good to me , but they requested large.) I have raised beds across the road on borrowed land. Anyway its fun to take a break from always searching out new things and grow something common just for the purpose of giving it away. Any recipes you'd care to share ?

-L.

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; November 14, 2014 at 12:00 AM. Reason: typo and spelling
Old November 13, 2014   #36
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I can't really explain how I feel about bell peppers.
To me they are like a pepper sort of but not really.
Several years ago I discovered the poblano, it and other peppers have pretty much replaced the bell pepper in many of my dishes.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2014   #37
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

To me, Bell peppers compared to most other peppers, well, Bell Peppers are unique and special. You've got the wonderful sweet taste of an heirloom bell pepper or the hybrids. No matter which ones you like - I think Bell peppers are in a class of their own. Maybe they should not be called peppers at all? just Bells?

Bell peppers were my grandmother's favorite pepper. She also loved Cherry peppers, or pimentos as I have learned lately.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2014   #38
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
... I think of pimentos as being small...
I think of pimentos as being 4" to 5" long and pointed, for example: http://www.tomatogrowers.com/PIMENTO...ductinfo/9359/

They are not sweet or spicy and have a flavor different from common green bells. Prior to the red stage they are a slightly grayish green -- not the dark green color seen in other bells. I pick them in this greenish stage when the flavor is most pronounced.

Their taste is more appropriate for combining with other foods (e.g. roast beef sandwich) or stuffed and baked. A meatloaf type mixture is common for stuffing but I also enjoy a veggie mix of cubed eggplant with other minced garden vegetables and herbs. Due to the taste of the pimento, I recommend going very light on parsley and leaving out celery.
Old November 16, 2014   #39
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

http://www.reimerseeds.com/pimento-s...pers_1356.aspx

Well I learned something here in that pimentos come in many shapes. I've never grown a pepper that had a greyish cast. I grew a cherry pepper that looked like that but I have to check my list for last year to see if it was indeed a pimento. It was a phenomenal producer and I had 4 plants in a raised bed.

I was pleased with a cubanellle pepper for stuffed peppers. It also had an unusual rich flavor as a stuffed pepper.

- Lisa
Old November 16, 2014   #40
Hermitian
BANNED

Keep in mind that the names pimento and pimiento are now used interchangeably to describe the pepper. However, there is also a completely unrelated perennial shrub that produces small 1/4 to 1/2 inch diameter fruits which are called pimento in some parts of the world.
Old November 16, 2014   #41
bower
Tomatovillian™

The "Pimento" I grew this year (original source Swallowtail Seeds) was 4-5" long as Hermitian described, and I guess they do go through a stage between forest green and red which is a different shade of green... I didn't pay too much attention as I was waiting for red, but now that you've mentioned it, H, I will have to try them at that stage! I ate mine red ripe and they were thick fleshed, juicy, tasty and sweet. They ripened three days later than Lipstick, which is also a pimento type cultivar with a broader conical shape than the "Pimento". I must admit I like the looks of the smaller pimento types you linked, Lisa. I would gladly go with a smaller size pepper if it would ripen faster and set more peppers than the other types.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote