Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old October 9, 2010   #1
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Default garlic festival in bethlehem ct

it's going on this sat and sunday and is in it's 6th year. i went today for the 1st time ever. all these years i have heard how great this was and is a must go.

look folks (in this area) save your $6 and time! i hate to be so negative but this was a total waste of my time and gas. i may have been the most knowledgeable person on the fair grounds, i certainly was one of the most! most of the vendors and speakers said things that i know for a fact were completely wrong, yet the people there look at them as experts not knowing they are being given incorrect info. you know if i attended a brain surgery fair and was told a bunch of bs about neurosurgery i wouldn't know the difference. that sums up the crowd, too bad they don't understand a lot of what they were hearing was not correct. it's amazing to hear vendors and lecturers saying things that a confused newbie gardener might say but at least the newbie gardener has an excuse, these vendors are farmers! i actually helped a lady asking questions of a vendor when he was obviously giving her incorrect advice. pitiful.

there were maybe 12 vendors, virtually no variety of garlic unless you only wanted german red and german white the exclusive varieties sold by about 98% of the vendors with no other choice, one guy had lorz italian another had spanish roja, bulbs about 3/4" in size. and small bulbs! most were 1" in diameter! i have individual cloves of music as large as these bulbs! a large bulb would have been 2". i saw some music bulbs that were 1/3 to 1/2 the size of my typical music bulbs... not my huge ones!

only one sold softnecks and many confused softneck/harddneck varieties. some had baskets full of garlic. no name just garlic! i was looking at an obvious softneck probably an artichoke type based upon the clove size and was being told it was german red or white obviously a hardneck!

an absolute waste of time. i went looking for a good artichoke to grow and left disgusted.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2010   #2
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

If you're looking for garlic, try this guy:
HOME - Bloosqualls Garlic Farm

Better hurry though, as half a dozen of his 26 varieties are already sold out.

He's an independent grower here in WA, his customers love him, and his prices beat any catalog I have seen, AND include shipping!
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2010   #3
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i bought my garlic this year from bloo so i'm all set. i was looking for artichoke varieties but i might as well have been looking for a dance partner at the morgue!

tho i have no room for anymore varieties, i'd have to cut back on the ones i'm planning to plant. so no artichokes this year, maybe next.
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote