Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old October 31, 2008   #1
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Default Giant pumpkin question

Last night I was walking by a neighbor's house. He had three giant pumpkins in the front yard and the family was carving them with small chain saws.

The neighbor said he had grown them. In fact, all three were from the same vine. All looked to me like they were in the 400 pound or over range. I have never grown giant pumpkins. Don't have the room, but I asked if I could have some seeds. The family said sure and pointed to the wheel barrow full of pulp and seeds. I filled most of a margarine tub and decided I had enough.

Seems to me that a plant that would produce three 400 pounders was pretty vigorous and the DNA should be saved.

These folks are not giant pumpkin growers normally. The neighbor I talked with got some seed from someone he knew and in fact planted only one seed. At least, that's how I understood him.

I am fermenting the fresh seed right now and was thinking of sharing with anyone who might want some, unless I can find a place to grow them locally next summer.

What do you think veteran giant pumpkin growers?

Last edited by maryinoregon; October 31, 2008 at 08:38 PM.
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2008   #2
AK110682
Tomatovillian™

Oh Mary! ... I was recently thinking about trying to grow one of those big suckers next year... would love to get my hands on some seeds.. Pleaseeeeeeee

-Amber

PM sent
AK110682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2008   #3
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

Mary, that sounds like a fun endeavor! I would love a few seeds. I'll send you a pm.

Duane
Old November 4, 2008   #4
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

As I said to Amber and Duane in PMs, I came home today and found my two plates of giant pumpkin seeds overturned on the patio and all the seeds eaten. Had all the hallmarks of squirrels. I thought my seeds were safe, but those fuzzy rodents got them. I actually like squirrels, and laughed when I first saw the plates. Then I took a better look and saw those little buggers didn't leave me one seed. I can't share them. I think I will check with the neighbor tonight and see if they saved anything, or whether the pulp and seeds have been picked up for recycling yet. If I get any more seeds, will let you know Amber and Duane. Again, I'm very sorry.
Old December 7, 2008   #5
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

I was able to get more seeds from the grower and sent out 6 seeds a piece to the three people who wanted them. I heard from Amber saying she had received the seeds. I hope Jim and Duane received their seeds.

I have no more to share. Saved 4 for myself and don't know if I have any place else I can grow them. But I'm hoping. It would be fun!
Old December 7, 2008   #6
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

Mary
I did receive the seeds. Thank You very much. You said you didn't have room for the Pumpkin would you consider seeds from my Adapazari Squash. This year i planted 6 Squash Seeds and got 6 Squash weighing 5-20-22-22-46& 54 Lbs each.
Jim
Old December 8, 2008   #7
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Jim, I planted your Adapazari seed for summer 2008. I have not weighed any of the squash. I've been meaning to ask you about them. The largest is dark green splotched with a kind of warm pink. Are they supposed to be that way? It really is a beautiful squash. I never got it to harden off, what with our unseasonably cool summer, but it is OK so far and I've been meaning to cut it and do something with it. I have another one, slightly smaller than the largest that is green and tannish. The smallest are dark green. I had to pull the plants because I was growing them in a neighbor's garden space. I also grew the beans. I will see what I have left and may ask you for some seeds if I need them. I gave lots to other people in the hopes that they will be grown all over.
Old December 8, 2008   #8
Dukerdawg

Mary, I did get the pumpkin seeds. I'm sorry I didn't communicate that sooner. I really appreciate them! You kindly gave me 6 seeds. Jim, if want 3 of them that would fine. I too have to find a place to plant them! Not sure where at the moment but I'll be working on it.

Let me know.

Duane
Old December 8, 2008   #9
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

Duane
Besides the Pumpkin seeds Mary sent I also received a Package,from Son In Law, of Dills Atlantic Giant so I'm overwhelmed with Giant Pumpkin seeds. If You are interested interested in the Squash I will be opening them up next month and you can have all the seeds you want. These are very large and attractive plants that we use as landscaping.

Mary
Don't hesitate asking for the Beans if you need more.
Old December 8, 2008   #10
Dukerdawg

Thanks Jim. I guess I didn't read the part where Mary already sent you seeds. I'll look for your squash offer when you post it. Thanks again.

Duane
Old December 14, 2008   #11
Hristo
Tomatovillian™

Hi to all,

This may help you:
The world record pumpkin:
http://www.backyardgardener.com/pumkin.html
http://www.bigpumpkins.com/ViewArtic...?id=162&gid=50

Records by state/country:
http://www.backyardgardener.com/record.html

Not all Dill's Atlantic Giant seeds will produce real giants. If you looking for really good seeds (with known pedigree), ask here:
http://www.bigpumpkins.com/msgboard/ViewBoard.asp?b=1

Hristo
Hristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2009   #12
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Thought I would boost this thread with a little news, news to me anyway. Lowes has Dill's Atlantic Giant seeds. They come in a pack of seven seeds for I think it was a little over $2.00. So if you have a Lowes in your area, you might check it out.
Old April 3, 2009   #13
justplayin123
Tomatovillian™

Hello everyone! I am new to the site. Robin303 told me about of this forum. I am finding my way around and reading ALOT!!
I do grow the AG pumpkins and have some seeds from last year that I would be happy to share. Just let me know!! They are a lot of fun to grow!
justplayin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2009   #14
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

Welcome to TV, hope you enjoy the forum as much as I have. I bought a packet of giant pumpkin seed in a packet for the grandkids to watch grow. I have no idea what kind I bought but I think we will have fun. I may have questions later that you can help me with. What the heck I might as well start now by asking---when do you plant your seed? Do you plant them in the ground or start them in seed trays? What fertilize do you get the best results with?
thanks,
neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2009   #15
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Here is something that will add to the fun . It is a link to the Great Pumpkin Commonwealth official site. This page will help in locating events world wide. Note they also have prizes at these events for the largest of the following. Tomato,Water Melon,Cantaloupe,Field Pumpkin , long gourd and Giant Squash.

http://www.thegreatpumpkincommonwealth.com

GL for a great harvest this year.

Kevin

Last edited by KLorentz; April 3, 2009 at 04:59 AM.
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote