Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 21, 2016   #1
encore
Tomatovillian™

Default keeping buckets from falling over

going with the raingutter growing system this coming year and wanted to get ideas on how to keep the plants and buckets from tipping over. last year I just had buckets with a 3/4 inch square hardwood stick about 5 or 6 feet tall stuck in hole in bottom of bucket and then a wire cage in the bucket, and all the buckets were held to each other with 2x2's at about 28 inch centers, so if one blew over they all would go lol. but of course that didn't happen, but with this system I'm planning on two rows with about 8 or 9 buckets each. the buckets have bags in them made from landscape material, I could stick the wooden stakes in there without a hole in bucket and use the wire cages I'm assuming, what do you think? and then any imput on how to keep buckets from tipping over? I don't want to screw them down so they are easier to empty at the end of the season. would appreciate all ideas, they will be on the patio so nothing real gaudy lol. thanks in advance---tom
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2016   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Can they take some weight from the top? If the bucket tops are the same height, you can run a 2x4 down each side and then weight the ends. It would be two boards for each row. You could use blocks or sand bags for weight.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2016   #3
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Mine are double rigs so they help each other imo but for single rigs I have seen the use of a bungee, connecting the top of one rim to under the rig frame to the other side's rim. If you are concerned about aesthetics I would built it into the frame (might also help with supports)
Old January 23, 2016   #4
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

👆Huh ???
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2016   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
👆Huh ???
Well, look at that. A spam bot got through our defenses. That's a computer program pretending to be a human.

I just used the "report this post" button for the first time.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote