Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old October 18, 2010   #16
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

George,

That's too bad that the deer got your Diva plants. I picked my last Divas of the Season yesterday and made some B&B pickles from them. Diva, along with County Fair will be my 2 cuke varieties for the 2011 Season.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2010   #17
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Ray, Diva is an oustanding variety.

Ray the Diva's I got from you in our late summer swap are still going strong. If you like pickles or just smaller tasty cukes let me give you a couple Rocky Hybrid next year, they are awsome!

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2010   #18
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Damon,

Sounds good. I am hoping the County Fair makes a better pickling cuke than Diva, as Diva are very large in diameter, and I have a difficult time jamming them into the jars.

I've got 20 Fall tomato plants now growing, and have 12 'Taniers of Snow Peas planted. First 2 'Tainers should start producing Snow Pea pods about Christmas-time, with the other 10 about Feb 1.

I've just started a dozen Diva cuke seeds today to see if I can get some production before our typical freeze in early January. Really miss grabbing one off the vine and slicing for fresh eating.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2010   #19
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Need to give a shout out to Poona Kheera this fall. While others have struggled, this one is producing nicely right now despite the late start. Cold front that came through a couple of weeks ago tore it up pretty bad and I thought it was done. It has bounced back and is loading up nicely.
It has always done well for me so I guess I shouldnt expect any different from this very good fresh eating cuke
Old November 21, 2010   #20
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I wish mine had made it through the cold front but when it got here we had two nights of freezing weather and that was enough to kill my Poona Kheera. I really loved the taste of the few that I was able to pick and will try it again in the spring. It is kinda ugly though.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote