Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old August 6, 2010   #1
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

Default Selling mixed varieties

This year I am selling 5lb mini crates of mixed varieties to a local gourmet store. Early indication is strong sales. I will let you know how it goes!
Here are a few packaged up and ready to go (gotta love those Green Zebras thrown in! Thanks Tom!!!

Anyone else sell "packs" like this? If so what do you use for containers?

Last edited by Granite26; August 6, 2010 at 04:31 PM. Reason: typo
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2010   #2
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

The beauty here is it is a "grab and go" item. No weighing and people buying 1 tomato. This also helps sell thru all varieties not just the most desireable. I cover the top with clear wrap before I deliver them.
The local store sells them for $18.50. They now have a waiting list as demand is exceeding supply!
Come on plants start producing more! (here in WI I have only been getting ripe toms for two weeks)
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2010   #3
pinakbet
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite26 View Post
This year I am selling 5lb mini crates of mixed varieties to a local gourmet store. Early indication is strong sales. I will let you know how it goes!
Here are a few packaged up and ready to go (gotta love those Green Zebras thrown in! Thanks Tom!!!

Anyone else sell "packs" like this? If so what do you use for containers?

nice bunch of tomatoes and love the crate too.
pinakbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2010   #4
franzb69
Tomatovillian™

now if only we can buy tomatoes like that in my country.

ah well. growing our own instead, right pinakbet? =D
franzb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2010   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know what size/varieties you put in those packs but I used to sell pints of mixed cherry tomatoes as well as pints of just one variety and they were very very popular.

When selling to chefs directly they always were deliveries of many different varieties but I'd checked with the chefs before to see what they wanted and then tailored my growouts to their needs.
Old August 15, 2010   #6
Bama mater
Tomatovillian™

Granite26, Those 5lb boxes are a good deal, I don't know what the crates cost you but if you can get $3 lb thats good.

on average I sell a 15lb variety box 2 sometimes 3 a week to the local chefs for $45. I put in a nice colored assortment of large and small varietys and usually the box weighs somewhere between 15-20lbs I always throw alittle more in there. I would like to charege more for the cherry tomatos because they take so much more time to keep picked and alot more work, but I don't a 5 lb box runs $15 and again a nice assortment of 5 varietys, and most usually ask for 10 lbs.
Bama mater is offline   Reply With Quote