Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 14, 2019   #1
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Default Feeding seedlings for the first time

My pepper seedlings are doing well and all have true leaves and my tomato seedlings are doing well both were bottom watered this morning and by this Thur. or Fri. will be needeing more watering. But this time around I'd like to give them some liquid fertilizer this time, I have Alaska liquid fish fertilizer (5-1-1) and directions say 2 tsp per qt. for indoor plants. So should I cut that in to just 1tsp per qt. or is the mix weak enough to use 2tsp per qt.? Thanks for your input.
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2019   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Gonna stink in the house with that stuff.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2019   #3
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Most people say half strength for whatever you use but yes, fish emulsion may have a strong smell indoors.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019   #4
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Miracle growth has often been recommended on Tville. No smell at all !
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019   #5
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I love Tomato Maker, it's dry, I just use a pinch.I use it for peppers and eggplants as well as tomatoes.
https://www.horticulturesource.com/o...EaAiOtEALw_wcB
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019   #6
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

Marsha,
Do you use this when you set up your Earthboxes or as a supplement throughout the season? It sounds excellent but maybe not for the cup of fertilizer one is supposed to add when setting up each season. Thanks for any advice you have.
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019   #7
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardadore View Post
Marsha,
Do you use this when you set up your Earthboxes or as a supplement throughout the season? It sounds excellent but maybe not for the cup of fertilizer one is supposed to add when setting up each season. Thanks for any advice you have.
I only use it on my seedlings from the first transplant after they get true leaves, at about 2 weeks old, then at 4 weeks old. At 6 weeks they are put in the Earthboxes with Tomato Tone as the fertilizer.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019   #8
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstar View Post
My pepper seedlings are doing well and all have true leaves and my tomato seedlings are doing well both were bottom watered this morning and by this Thur. or Fri. will be needeing more watering. But this time around I'd like to give them some liquid fertilizer this time, I have Alaska liquid fish fertilizer (5-1-1) and directions say 2 tsp per qt. for indoor plants. So should I cut that in to just 1tsp per qt. or is the mix weak enough to use 2tsp per qt.? Thanks for your input.

I have used fish emulsion for many years in containers, on seedlings and in the garden and I have never measured it. The first time you put it on seedlings you need it to be weak. Sorta cloudy but you can still see through it.

The seedlings react the most the first time you use it so go light the first time. If you ever apply too much and the seedlings wilt just flush with fresh water and put in the shade and in a few hours they will pop right back up.

As you go you can start mixing it stronger. As far as the smell, it is not really that bad. Bad smells include wet drying fingernail polish, bleach, spray underarm deodorants and so on. Fish emulsion smell won't hurt you, some of these products can. I'd rather smell emulsion 24 hours a day than smell either one of them for 5 minutes
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019   #9
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

i usually go 1/4 strength of recommended amount if i use fertilizer. i want slow, but steady growth. i get the slow growth because my plants are in a cool basement under lights. i only fertilize if the plants look like they need it, and not immediately after repotting to give root growth a chance to catch up. i will a teaspoon of dry fish powder and powdered kelp in a gallon wine jug, fill with water, and shake. use when everything is dissolved. don't over do it with fertilizer. you don't want tall spindly plants.
very little odor when i use that strength, plus the plants are in the basement.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2019   #10
flyfiishn
Tomatovillian™

For seedlings I also use 1/4 strength when they are just getting a few true leaves etc. Once they are 3-4 inches tall I go half strength on the fish emulsion for another feeding.

As others have stated, its a bit smelly right after application but it does subside.
flyfiishn is offline   Reply With Quote