Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 21, 2018   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Storing Tomatoes?

Since I appear to have some storage type tomatoes this season, I wondered if they would keep better with a piece of the stem still attached to the tomato? It seems intuitive that they should keep better with the stem attached, but hopefully someone can provide a definitive answer.

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2018   #2
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Stem off and place the tomatoes stem-side down.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2018   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

My brother and I will remove whole stems and then hang them up, usually in the basement, with several tomatoes still attached. There might be a few beefsteak types, or several dozen cherry types - all in various stages of maturity/ripeness. I have even tried adding a jar of water with a touch of Miracle Grow to the hang ups with the cut end of the stems in the jars.

Around here, the old folks seem to go both ways with a lot of brown paper bags being used. But I think that accelerates the ripening/softening process. I do know that hanging up the whole stem gives both of us ripening tomatoes all the way into January some years.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2018   #4
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

I’m going to have to try that.
Old July 22, 2018   #5
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Home grown tomatoes are great when you can get them. (Sometimes.)

A bad tasting tomato takes about the same effort to grow as a good tasting tomato.

If you plant a seed today, you may get a tomato from it in 6o to 100 days.

Worms and insects (especially Stink Bugs) like all tomatoes whether you think they taste bad or good.

I could go on, but the point is:

A Hot Water Bath will improve the taste and texture of most tomatoes.

It is fairly simple and only takes 7 - 10 days (possibly your tomatoes will be ready before your seed come up).

The tools and space requirements are minimal (a pot to hold hot tap water, a thermomator to measure the water temp, a 5 minute timer and space for the tomatoes to sit undisturbed while they ripen.).

The Hot Water Bath doesn't work with "Tomatoes on the Vine" (but you're welcome to prove me wrong).

It works very well with the red cardboard slicers commonly available ($.99 on sale locally).

Buy a jar of Hellmanns, a loaf of whole wheat bread and your tomatoes instead of a bag of manure and keep the change.

Run tap water @ 125 degrees, place the tomatoes in the water for 5 minutes, place a saucer on top to hold them down, remove to a counter and allow to ripen 7 - 10 days.

Master Gardener and "Intern" Challange - Practice measuring the water temp with your finger until you are 95% accurate and counting "One Mississippi"; "Two Mississippi" until you no longer need the timer. Claud
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2018   #6
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Hello from Spain.
In Spain they are hung manually in many ways, the stem is simply left to be used to hang them or to tie ropes for their bundle, a place in the shade with a temperature that does not vary much and that the air runs is a perfect place to your storage. I leave some pictures of my storage tomatoes and videos.
Nico
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170830_143505.jpg (287.4 KB, 76 views)

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2018   #7
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8QxVmx4ETw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNi903undIE

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2018   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I read an article last year about an African farmer who packed his tomatoes in wood ashes and was able to preserve them that way for months.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2018   #9
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

That makes sense from the alkaline nature of the wood ashes. That's an interesting idea. And likewise, the pictures from nicolasgarcia look interesting, also.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote