Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 26, 2015   #16
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

hmmm never heard of orange pear before .... does it have another name it goes by ?

Where to get the orange pear seeds ???? this needs more investigating ...most interesting !
Old June 26, 2015   #17
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Default Morning sun ...yellow plum/oval shape

I forgot to mention this year I am also trying Morning sun a RL yellow plum /oval shape ...early ...
It is supposed to be a better tasting alternative to Yellow pear

as well ....we shall see ..soon .
Old June 26, 2015   #18
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, Oh, I didn't know! Thank you for letting me know. I'll go look through that thread.

I actually got the seeds by saving them from a tomato I got when I went over to visit Wild Boar Farms two summers ago... I would have bought seeds, but all he had was tomatoes.
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #19
sccdominant
Tomatovillian™

there is no love for the yellow pear..mine are great...its a bummer no one else really talks good things about them.
sccdominant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2015   #20
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccdominant View Post
there is no love for the yellow pear..mine are great...its a bummer no one else really talks good things about them.
hmmmm part of the reason for me to talk about this is really just to compare alternatives ...

actually I have not a problem with the flavour of yellow pear either ...it is what it is ...it is not a sungold or a Sudduth's Strain Brandywine ...it is a yellow pear !

I value it for it's dependability in our cool wet climate as well as it seems to also be a heat resistant variety ...that keeps producing late when others have long stopped .

It seems hard to believe that even if the other mentioned alternatives have a more popular taste by present culture ... they still will be as utilitary and dependable in the wide variety of conditions that yellow pear has proven to over come.
Old June 27, 2015   #21
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccdominant View Post

That has been my impression of it over the years. Probably 6-7 out of ten spoke against it a 3 - 4 praised it. For that reason I have never wanted to try it. Real estate is limited.

Gardeneer.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2015   #22
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I have mixed feelings about Yellow Pear (YP). When I was young, my father, grandparents, and it seemed like all the local gardeners grew YP. I like the shape, color, and size. I have grown YP all 5 years that I've gardened.

If you look up opinions online, you quickly find a lot of negative opinions. Yet, it is a top seller at our local transplant selling places (Nurseries, M&P shops, Flea Markets, etc.) I have asked at these places and their top selling tomato transplants are the well known beefsteak hybrids and YP.

I personally like the simple taste of YP. In our garden, we have room for hundreds of tomato plants. A couple of YP plants are very welcome. However, if I had limited space, I would not grow it - I would most likely grow those popular beefsteak hybrids. That is until I became a member here and started learning about heirloom tomatoes.

YP does split a lot after heavy rainfall, but so does Sungold. You will always find Sungold growing in our garden - You will also find a couple YP plants there too.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2015   #23
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

For me, the only redeeming quality of Yellw Pear is its size and shape. It is near perfect for grasping it by its neck, dipping its butt into salad dressing, and then eating. An edible eating utensil, basically.

Dr. Lve Apple
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2015   #24
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Default yellow pear tomato pickles

I was thinking any of the yellow pear and yellow pear alternatives might make

interesting pickles due to the shape/ colour .
Old June 27, 2015   #25
travis
Tomatovillian™

I've grown both Yellow Pear and Yellow Submarine, and do not see much similarity between the two varieties other than the shape, size, and color of the tomatoes.

The Yellow Pear vines are much more robust, sprawling, rampant, and productive than the Yellow Submarine plants. The Yellow Sub plants are more erect and significantly less rampant.

With regard to flavor, I did not see much difference with both being rather bland, and mostly sweet flavored tomatoes.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2015   #26
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
For me, the only redeeming quality of Yellw Pear is its size and shape. It is near perfect for grasping it by its neck, dipping its butt into salad dressing, and then eating. An edible eating utensil, basically
Haha. So is Red pear, (the old heirloom one - not the grande Italian variety)..
Small and mild tomatoes are nice for salads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post

With regard to flavor, I did not see much difference with both being rather bland, and mostly sweet flavored tomatoes.
Sweet tomatoes... yum. I like them... Actually I much prefer them to the acid-ey ones. I had a store bought yellow grape cherry last year that I still got seeds for, the growth was quite compact. If someone is interested, I'll happily send a few, or I might do that in the Great Swap later on
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2015   #27
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I have heard the Beam's yellow pear is the old yellow pear that tastes great from past ages. I do know that as a child my Dad grew yellow pear and small red plum tomatoes that were awesome. But that was almost 50 years ago. The yellow pears I grow now are not nearly so good. But I grow them anyway due to dependability and people ask for them. If anyone has some Beam's yellow pear, I will be happy to trade and do a side by side trial.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote