Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old March 20, 2008   #31
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

I only grow dwarf cultivars, I HATE fooling with pea fences. I'd rather deal with a tangled mass of pea tendrils. And, I only grow edible-podded sugar peas. I don't have time to shell them and we all prefer to eat shell and all. So, this year I am growing Sugar Ann and Sugar Star.

Do you all innoculate? I have, but I'm still not sure if it makes a big difference.
Old March 20, 2008   #32
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

annecros, I have not heard of any pea more heat tolerant that Wando. If you want a shelling pea, I think that may be your best choice.

Miss Mudcat, I have always used inoculant. Since I've never done without it, I have no way to compare. I figure it's pretty cheap and I can use it on both the peas and beans, so why not? My peas are coming along really nicely now. They don't get as much sun on this side of the garden as they did last year but they're still doing pretty well.
Old March 22, 2008   #33
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

I have used innoculant once or twice in the past, but don't anymore. Can't say I can tell the difference, but I haven't done a side-by-side test. It's my understanding that once you've grown legumes in an area, you shouldn't need innoculant. I can usually trace good crop/bad crop with peas or beans to the weather.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2008   #34
annecros
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean View Post
annecros, I have not heard of any pea more heat tolerant that Wando. If you want a shelling pea, I think that may be your best choice.

Miss Mudcat, I have always used inoculant. Since I've never done without it, I have no way to compare. I figure it's pretty cheap and I can use it on both the peas and beans, so why not? My peas are coming along really nicely now. They don't get as much sun on this side of the garden as they did last year but they're still doing pretty well.
Thanks so much, Wando it is. It will be interesting to see if I can produce a mess of this type of pea in this climate.

Southern peas, we just drop them in the middle of a hard road and come back two months later!

The innoculant, I think it depends upon the native soil. If you have cold winters, I would think it would help. I have had no problem with any pea or bean thriving and producing plenty - but that's my soil. YMMV and all that.

If one used innoculant in one season, would it hold over to the next? I don't know.
annecros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2008   #35
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Gardener View Post
Ruth.. I did a side by side with the innoculant a couple years back on sugar snap.

There was a huge difference! With all other conditions and factors the same.. the ones that were innoculated were twice as big and twice as productive.

As for favorites.. i love most all snap peas, but after last seasons trials with over 100 varieties.. Chinese snow pea is now my new favorite.

Dave
So here's the experiment that would have been informative: the following year, you would have switched--the spot that had no innoculant would receive innoculant, and the spot that had received innoculant would get none. You would have to do this for several years to average out random variation.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Old March 25, 2008   #36
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

I put my peas in yesterday: Mr Big, Green Arrow, Eclipse, Lincoln and Super Sugar Snap. I innoculated mine since this is a new garden. I have done that in the past and it seemed to improve my yield but I'm not sure if it were the innoculant or weather.
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2008   #37
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I planted laxton's progress, oregon giant snow pea and sugar snap about two weeks ago. No rain/snow for weeks so yesterday I connected up the hoses. Green arrow always performed well and laxton's did just as well last year. The snow and sugar snaps don't seem to set as many but are wonderful. Kent and Kathy - forget Alaska - they were small and hard, same for wando - smaller pods and peas are rather tough. I just need more land and full blazing sun. Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2008   #38
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Both Amish Snap and Russian Sugar are growing well. I think peas are among the prettiest of the vegetable plants but these Russian Sugar vines are going to be gorgeous when they start to bloom. The stems are bright purple and it looks great with the green leaves. I believe the blossoms are supposed to be a shade of purple, as well. Can't wait to see them!
Old April 25, 2008   #39
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Amish Snap is blooming now. Still waiting on Russian Sugar. I should have some pods soon though.
Old April 26, 2008   #40
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

My Sugar Snap, Sugar Ann, and Casselode peas are coming along but still a long way from blossoming. This cold spring (more rain and cold weather this weekend) have slowed them down considerably.

Old April 28, 2008   #41
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

My peas finally germinated and are growing very slowly. We are still having some pretty cold days and nights. The only thing growing like crazy is the grass and weeds out there. Peas are really my favorite spring veggie, raw right out of the garden. I can't wait and hope yields are good.
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008   #42
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

We had the first Amish Snap peas of 2008 last night. They were as good as I remember from last year. I have them growing side by side with the Russian Sugar. Amish Snap is taller and just a tad earlier. I'll start picking Russian Sugar in the next few days. Sounds corny but I love looking out my bedroom window in the morning and seeing the white flowers of the AS and the purple blooms on the RS. They're so pretty.
Old May 14, 2008   #43
igarden
Tomatovillian™

around 19+ years ago, when we moved here in eastern Washington, we purchased some shell pea seed from Johnny's called 'Multistar'. they were tall plants on a trellis and in the dead heat of summer, they produced 13+ peas in big pods, throughout the summer till fall. we have been trying to find those seeds again, as Johnny's doesn't sell them anymore. if anyone has heard of them or knows where they can be purchased, please let me know...thanks.

last year we planted 'Mayfair' shell pea seed from Peters Seed Research. in June we were extremely unusually hot, 100's!!!, and these peas produced right through the heat, all summer and into the fall. they were semi-tall plants with 8 - 9 large peas in the 5+ inch pods. very sweet and excellent frozen and home canned. needless to say, we have planted these again here this year and will save seed!
igarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008   #44
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

My first sowing germinated at about 10%; second at about 20%, third at about 95% and 4th at about 20%. It will still be another 3 weeks or so before I can harvest any peas.

This rainy, cloudy, cold and dreary weather is holding everything back.... except lettuce. It is fabulous!
Old May 21, 2008   #45
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I - I am so glad to learn that there are everbearing peas. My mother (age 87) always talked about these peas that produced all summer by the dishpan full. After a number of searches and a post or two at GW, no one knew of these. Even better that they do well high heat! How can I get ahold these seeds? I would love to try them. Do they need to be planted in early spring like regular peas? Many of mine were wiped out today - tree removal near door that accidently fell in my yard wiping out my cherry tree, the peas, and many tomato plants. Let me know on the seeds! Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote