Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old March 9, 2007   #16
natural
Tomatovillian™

I guess I lucked out this time. I've placed 5 orders with them this year and wasn't one of the unfortunate victims.

I too will continue to do business with Johnny's. They have superior products and customer service.
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2007   #17
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I think the problem is people want convenience.

They expect when they go back to a website to be able to re-order without re-entering credit card details. And people are notoriously bad about record-keeping when it comes to buying software online. They want to be able to re-download it if they have a crash, even though they don't print anything or maintain any backup or proof that they purchased it. The last few digits of the credit card can be used to confirm that someone in-fact bought the product.

I don't think websites keep credit card information on file for their health. It is because customers expect certain things

If Microsoft weren't such an overbearing ogre in the marketplace, their MSN/Microsoft Wallet/Passport/Microsoft Live system might have taken off, where you put all your credit card details into your Passport account and then just pay with that. For now, there's the equally morally questionable Paypal.

Last edited by feldon30; March 9, 2007 at 07:23 PM.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2007   #18
Rena
Tomatovillian™

The problem was NOT that they were hacked what the problem was that they took 9 days to write the letter.
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2007   #19
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

And some got their letter last week. Why were some a week a part? I still feel I won't be doing any business with them. I feel their concern for their customers was very poor. Jay
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2007   #20
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Information on how Johnny's found out about and handled the situation is here.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/e...ompromise.html
Old March 10, 2007   #21
gardenmaniac
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the link nctomatoman.

It makes me consider mailing my orders in again and paying by check for all the seed companies I place orders with like I used to. The thing is though, I could not have avoided the other thefts my husband and I encountered. I guess it's just a new world we live in.

Tiffanie

Last edited by gardenmaniac; March 10, 2007 at 03:35 PM.
gardenmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2007   #22
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I agree with you Mischka. Johnny's has always done superbly by us. Great products, good price and wonderful customer service. It is too bad this happened, but this is not the least unusual - whether or not you order online. One of my sisters has had BOTH of her credit/ATM cards replaced this year from two different banks because hackers had accessed the data bases. She's one of those that never buys anything online and doesn't bank online either.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2007   #23
bugsy
Tomatovillian™

It's so irresponsible that companies keep this type of data. they've known for years that this type of breakin could easily happen and yet this info continues to stay on their servers.

I will do business with Johnnys but only by check. Small inconvenience for me.

-- i forgot to mention that i do business by check just about exclusively nowadays unless I feel that the business is up on its security

--oh and those one use credit cards are a good idea. i use one of these.

Last edited by bugsy; March 28, 2007 at 02:36 PM.
bugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2010   #24
lemurian
Tomatovillian™

Ugh, I don't know if this is applicable to anyone else, but I feel compelled to share. I placed a small order from Johnny's online this past week and was overcharged on my statement by about $20. Perhaps coincidentally, I also had 3 additional fraudulent charges to the same card made very nearly simultaneously. Johnny's has yet to respond to me about this (it is possible they're all out for the holidays), but it is pretty horrifying to me. I have ordered from them before and been bothered by them sending me treated seed when I specifically refuse to have treated seed or ANY replacement seed sent to me (I have a very small organic garden), but that seemed like a reasonable mistake. Reading this very old thread makes me worry that Johnny's isn't a safe company to order from Has anyone else had problems with them since the incident that originally prompted this thread?
lemurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2010   #25
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

I placed two orders with them last year and did not have any issues and was satisfied.

Craig
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2010   #26
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I've ordered from Johnny's off and on for over 20 years and have never had one problem.

As a matter of fact I think it's one of THE best places to get seeds for all kinds of seeds and more.

Don't I recall that a few years ago that there was some problem with credit card security or was that Pinetree, I just can't remember, but I know the problem was fixed pronto and no problems since.

Lemurian, they cater to organic growers as you can see by the many varieties of lots of stuff that are offered as organic or non-organic seed. In addition MOGFA ( Maine ORganic Farmers Association) was THE first in the US and all other organic certifying agencies have pretty much followed what MOGFA did and does. There are many organic growers in ME, both commercial and just home growers.

I'm here at the computer and my 2011 Johnny's catalog is out in the other room, so I'll just ask you. Isn't there a place on the order form where you check off no substitutes? Or did you call in your order and somehow your request for no substitutes didn't get passed along. Mistakes happen. I made one about an hour ago.

And I'm sure the appropriate person will get back to you soon and help you solve what happened once all the staff are back in the offices on Monday, or so.
Old December 31, 2010   #27
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

I agree 100%!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I've ordered from Johnny's off and on for over 20 years and have never had one problem.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2010   #28
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Default Johnny's

I order from Johnny Seeds every year and have never had
a problem.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2010   #29
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
I order from Johnny Seeds every year and have never had
a problem.
Me, too and me, neither.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2011   #30
lemurian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Isn't there a place on the order form where you check off no substitutes? Or did you call in your order and somehow your request for no substitutes didn't get passed along. Mistakes happen. I made one about an hour ago.
Indeed, we all make mistakes And yes, when you place an order online you check a box for the option of having alternate seed sent AND a separate box for whether you want the replacement to be treated or not. I check no on both. People do make mistakes, and the seeds in question were backordered seeds. I did not contact the company because it COULD have been my mistake and it was also quite late in the season and I'm definitely not a high volume customer. But that incident coupled with this most recent one just makes me a bit nervous, and seeing as this thread hadn't been updated in so long, I thought I might just send out feelers. I'm relieved to get the impression that they're a reputable company and hope the matter is resolved soon! The seeds that I did receive from them last year were great, good germination, as advertised, shipped quickly, etc. I'm not trying to badmouth anyone, just trying not to feel so alone in the dark as it were
lemurian is offline   Reply With Quote