Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old November 9, 2015   #1
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Default 2016 Catalogs

I got my first 2016 catalog today. It was HPS (Horticultural Products and Services). I guess I got it since I subscribe to Growers Talk but it is almost entirely hybrids and I don't grow hybrids, except maybe for some flowers. It is a beautiful catalog and I will pass it on to someone that does not share my bias for heirlooms and OPs.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2015   #2
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

I too received the HPS catalog today. What I noticed was the seed quantities. Seems it might be geared toward the professional grower.
Old November 9, 2015   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I got our first catalog today too. Dixondale Farms
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2015   #4
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I got our first catalog today too. Dixondale Farms

Got mine too, Robert. Very nice photos and selection.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2015   #5
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Pinetree 2016 has arrived here!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2015   #6
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
SAME FOR ME.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2015   #7
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

I got a rock...
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2015   #8
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
I got a rock...

JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2015   #9
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppero View Post
SAME FOR ME.

jon
Pinetree arrived for me today, too.

I was thinking I should get on tomatoville and start a 2016 catalog thread, because no one had done that yet. Kay beat me to it, though.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2015   #10
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Pinetree was also the first catalog for 2016 here!

And yes, I've already marked it all up!
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2015   #11
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

My first catalog was... peaceful Valley
www.groworganic.com
My source of 650 garlic cloves in the ground this year...
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2015   #12
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
I got a rock...
LOL (I literally did)! I hope there will be something in your mailbox tomorrow.

I got HPS. Looks like it might be the same folks who own Totally Tomatoes?
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2015   #13
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipetual View Post
. . . I got HPS. Looks like it might be the same folks who own Totally Tomatoes?
You want to be careful if you start looking up who owns what company, as there is a lot of info out there that jest ain't so . . . especially on sites with a "Monsanto owns everyone" theme . . . but several seed catalogs listing Randolph, Wisconsin addresses are ones that have been bought by J. W. Jung Seed Co. and most?/all? of those are now operated from Randolph.

I believe that list includes Totally Tomatoes, R.H. Shumway, The Vermont Bean Seed Company, Seeds for the World, Seymour’s Selected Seeds, HPS, Roots and Rhizomes, and McClure and Zimmerman Quality Bulb Brokers. That list may not be complete, and I'm not sure all those should be listed, but if you see a Randolph Wisconsin address on a catalog, it's a good guess that it's Jung in one of its hats.
Old November 11, 2015   #14
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ View Post
You want to be careful if you start looking up who owns what company, as there is a lot of info out there that jest ain't so . . . especially on sites with a "Monsanto owns everyone" theme . . . but several seed catalogs listing Randolph, Wisconsin addresses are ones that have been bought by J. W. Jung Seed Co. and most?/all? of those are now operated from Randolph.

I believe that list includes Totally Tomatoes, R.H. Shumway, The Vermont Bean Seed Company, Seeds for the World, Seymour’s Selected Seeds, HPS, Roots and Rhizomes, and McClure and Zimmerman Quality Bulb Brokers. That list may not be complete, and I'm not sure all those should be listed, but if you see a Randolph Wisconsin address on a catalog, it's a good guess that it's Jung in one of its hats.
Yeah, I agree and it makes me mad that I have to pay separate shipping from all of the same return addresses so, I limit what I buy to TT and HPS. I would buy more, but I can get by with those two.
Old November 11, 2015   #15
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Yeah, I agree and it makes me mad that I have to pay separate shipping from all of the same return addresses so, I limit what I buy to TT and HPS. I would buy more, but I can get by with those two.
Agree. There are enough places that offer good seeds that it's often policies that decide where I place orders -- shipping costs -- promptness of shipping of items listed as in stock -- whether they observe "no substitution" specifications -- how they behave if they make an error -- whether they try to compensate with a credit rather than a refund if they can't/don't fill an order in a reasonable time. (I don't object to places offering a credit as an option, but I do object to those that have a "once we have your money we keep it, whether we can deliver what you ordered or not" policy.)

And of course reasonable shipping time varies -- delays are understandable with a part time small family operation like Sand Hill that says clearly that they fill orders as soon as they can, but not to order from them anything that you need quickly as their available time is limited -- but lengthy delays are not really excusable from a larger operation, especially when only "in stock" items have been ordered.

My most common sources for purchased seed right now are Sand Hill and Victory, because I like the operating philosophy of each, because I prefer supporting competent but small family operations when possible, and because, for items I want, both their inventories and their shipping policies complement one another. For example, if both have an item I want, the same price will usually buy more good seed from Sand Hill, but more prompt delivery of good seed from Victory -- depends upon which is most important for a particular order -- and each has desirable varieties the other doesn't carry.

But year around I save links to items I run across that I would like and when I make orders for spring garden, I look those over and often place an order with one or two companies that are offering some item(s) that aren't generally available -- sometimes small companies -- sometimes big ones from which I order only when they have something I can't get elsewhere.