Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old March 20, 2012   #31
DogsandDirt
Tomatovillian™

I love your avatar DogsandDirt. Is the dog a pit bull mix? Looks a lot like one of my guys.

Alex[/QUOTE]

Yes, she's a pit bull. Is yours solar powered too?
DogsandDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2012   #32
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Something new to our area, NuLife Organic Seed Starting Mix, from this company:
http://waupacanorthwoods.com/nulife.html

Really nice, light, fluffy, and has mycorrhizae and yucca extract, perlite, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, and feather meal. So far, so good. $6.99/20 quarts. Only thing available in town not MG.
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2012   #33
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

If you can't find ProMix, another alternative is Baccto mixes. I can get the big bags from a local nursery here. Baccto mixes are from the Michigan Peat company so if you know a nursery that carries products from them, they should be able to get this.
http://www.michiganpeat.com/commercial/planting.htm
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2012   #34
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Bought the big compressed bail of ProMix bx last year. It goes a long ways when expanded. It is a pain to break it up from the brick it comes in, add water, stir, but, once you do that, great product. It holds moisture without being wet and is well above the brands like miracle grow soil...but, you pay for it down here in Texas. Only place I found it was a hydro store selling it in the high $30s. Still, I will go that way again or perhaps Sunshine 4 and won't go back to the other soils.

Dewayne Mater.
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2012   #35
elight
Tomatovillian™

Sorry to bump an old thread, but just want to make sure I have these calculations correct. I called Pro-Mix and finally spoke with someone who was able to tell me that the Potting & Container Mix (retail blue bag) contains 12% perlite.

We're aiming for the 20-25% range, so let's call it 22.5%.

We know that the 3 parts Pro-Mix contains 12% perlite and the 2 parts bark fines contain 0%. So the question is, how many parts of perlite (100%) do we need to add to get to 22.5%?

It's been a while since algebra class, so please check my math:

( 3(0.12) + 2(0.00) + x(1.00) ) / 6 = 0.225
3(0.12) + 2(0.00) + x(1.00) = 0.225 * 6
3(0.12) + 2(0.00) + x(1.00) = 1.35
0.36 + x = 1.35
x = 0.99

... so in other words, almost exactly one part perlite for each 3 parts Pro-Mix and 2 parts bark fines. Using the same math, I found that using 1 part perlite for the Pro-Mix BX (with its 17% perlite content) + bark fines gets you to just over 25.2%.

Sound right?
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2012   #36
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

elight,

Sounds about right. Don't try to over-engineer it too much, as this gardening stuff is at best, an approximation - which is what makes it fun.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2012   #37
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite26 View Post

Ingredients
  • Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss
  • Sea-based compost
  • Composted Bark
  • Perlite
  • Limestone
    (pH adjuster)
  • Mycorrhizae (endomycorrhizae beneficial micro-organism)
Any thoughts on this for seed starting? They must have a bunch of new retail packaging / product names.
Thanks
I just bought a bunch of this but to use in my Earthboxes. That'll work, right? It's called "Pro-Mix Ultimate Organic Mix". I found this for $6.44 per 1cf bag at Menards. I shopped all day long and didn't find Pro-Mix BX anywhere.

Last edited by babice; April 29, 2012 at 08:58 AM. Reason: oops correcting the bag quantity
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2012   #38
kurt
Tomatovillian™

On the Premier Horticulture website who makes Pro Mix they have a dealer locater search block.They also have a good soil calculator section.The locater will give you the larger distributors and contact info for you to get to a local specialty vendor i.e. nurserys etc.I get mine in 3.8cubic feet bales at about $24.00.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2012   #39
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
On the Premier Horticulture website who makes Pro Mix they have a dealer locater search block.They also have a good soil calculator section.The locater will give you the larger distributors and contact info for you to get to a local specialty vendor i.e. nurserys etc.I get mine in 3.8cubic feet bales at about $24.00.
Thanks - unfortunately, I did try this. The closest dealer is on the other side of Iowa from me, which is a good 4-hour drive. They didn't even show that the Menards I bought it from here has this supplied in my area. Odd, right?
Old April 28, 2012   #40
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Yes I found that to be true,caus they list only the larger guys.There is a retailer search after you go into some of thier different product lines.What I did was to call thier phone numbers direct.Seems like they split thier site into commercial,aggri.floral,veggies etc.By the way the organic Pro Mix mentioned is in 1 cubic foot or 1 cubic quart?
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2012   #41
babice
Tomatovillian™

They are 1 cubic foot bags. Here's where it is on their website (in the non-professional section under Vegetables & Herbs): http://www.newpromix.com/en/pro-mix-...e-organic-mix/ (the various BX's are in the professional section). I'm torn because on one hand I do want to wait and call them to see if they know of anywhere around here I could buy the BX. Then again, I am ultra eager to get it in the containers with the dolomite though. I posted a question about the Ultimate Organic stuff on the Earthbox forum and they say I should be good to use it in the EB, even though seaweed compost is the 2nd ingredient (after spagnum peat moss). So - I could just take a chance!

Decisions, decisions!!
Old April 29, 2012   #42
Chrissykin
Tomatovillian™

That was me who answered you

I actually found a dealer who has bx but after using this stuff I would be hard pressed to switch. This is my first time using any ProMix. This stuff is nice to work with and my EB's are wicking very well.
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2012   #43
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissykin View Post
That was me who answered you

I actually found a dealer who has bx but after using this stuff I would be hard pressed to switch. This is my first time using any ProMix. This stuff is nice to work with and my EB's are wicking very well.
Haha! That's funny! Thanks SOOO much! I am so happy to hear that! Someone was asking me if I had planned to mix pine bark fines and perlite in with it. I wasn't planning to as I had not read that was necessary. Was planning to use 2 bags per EB. I read the thread on the EB forum in the topic "New to Earthbox? Start Here" and I didn't see anything about needing to do that. I really do like the sounds of the stuff that's in this mix.
Old April 29, 2012   #44
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite26 View Post

Ingredients
  • Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss
  • Sea-based compost
  • Composted Bark
  • Perlite
  • Limestone
    (pH adjuster)
  • Mycorrhizae (endomycorrhizae beneficial micro-organism)
Any thoughts on this for seed starting? They must have a bunch of new retail packaging / product names.
Thanks
I used the Promix Vegetable & Herb and then just recently the above product for potting up. The Promix Ultimate above had small twigs and wood chips the size of a quarter in it while the Promix Veggie & Herb did not. I guess I was disappointed in the Ultimate. I could see using it for planting into a larger container, but would rather not have the twigs, etc. in my 4" pots. If you use the Ultimate for germinating, you might want to sift the mix first. I use something much lighter than either of these two products for germination.

Last edited by Farmette; April 30, 2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: bs/veggie & herb
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2012   #45
Chrissykin
Tomatovillian™

I picked the twigs out, that didn't bother me.

I have to say I used a lot of this stuff in Winter Sowing and the containers I used regular potting mix in didn't germinate as well nor are doing as well as the containers that had this mix.

This is my first year seed starting and I look at my starts and would put them up against any pros. They look awesome and I believe it was this mix.
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote