Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old May 7, 2017   #1
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Default Old potato coming up from last year ?

I finally got around to finishing up spring clean up in the yard and bagging another 30 bags of leaves (ugh I know). In clearing out the leftover hay mulch and some leaves out of one bed, lo and behold, a little potato plant is growing. I guess I missed one last summer, and I know it was a little purple potato I'd grown on a lark from the farmers market. So, my question is, will a complete plant grow this year from this old potato and is it safe to eat them? If not, I'll yank it out.

I didn't do much as far as "hilling" as I'd never really grown potatoes before but thought what the heck for fun, let's put these in here and see what we get. I got a nice little bunch of tiny purple potatoes , they were so cute!
Old May 7, 2017   #2
Nattybo!
Tomatovillian™

I think it will be fine . I get volunteers in my compost pile all the time. Enough for a meal or two. I love potatoes. They were my gateway plant
Nattybo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2017   #3
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Yes you will get a complete plant and the potatoes will be perfectly safe to eat. You will get more potatoes if you hill up with either soil or mulch around the stems as the plant grows because the new potatoes will grow from the stems.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2017   #4
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

great, thanks guys!

I'm moving my beds around (next year I need new boards for the individual beds, they're rotting at the bottom), and I was trying to figure out where everything is going to move or be planted when I saw that little plant peeking up. I have more to plant this year, so I'll definately be hilling the rows.

The groundhog didn't seem to notice the potatoes, he was too busy destroying my cukes and squash and greens. Looks like tomatoes and potatoes are safe....for now!
Old May 9, 2017   #5
Nattybo!
Tomatovillian™

My resident ground hog loves green tomatoes. Especially the biggest ones. He would bite two on this plant then mosey over and bite two more on another plant. That big tomato over there in another row needs a big bite taken out of it too.

I have to make cages for the bottom of the tomato plants with wire mesh. I think it was called rat wire? Got it from lowes or Home Depot. Keeps turtles off my tomatoes too.
Nattybo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #6
Tjlance1
Tomatovillian™

This is the first time in 3 seasons we replanted potatoes as they have been coming up on their own. Even with replanting, we have 5 or 6 separate potato plants coming back from last year..only issue is those danged Colorado potato beetles.
Tjlance1 is offline   Reply With Quote