Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 30, 2016   #1876
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It could have been worse. Both the original idiot and the guy you hit could have simply said, "my neck hurts, call 911." Then they get a check for $20,000 from your insurance company. Lawyer takes a third.

I'd say situations like the one above constitute the majority of modern legal practice. Lawyer has secretary send angry letter to insurance company...lawyer gets $20k check in return and takes out his third. He never had to get out of his chair, or do anything resembling work.

I'm glad you're ok.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2016   #1877
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
That blows It reminds me of the time someone tossed a beer bottle under my car and I ran over it and ruined a brand new tire.
I was dog broke and couldn't afford another tire.
Too little too late but this is a perfect example of keeping your distance behind other cars.
You need to look ahead and be ready for any sudden stops long before they happen.
It isn't a lecture but very good advice.
The 2 second rule is hog wash I look ahead and come up with every scenario that can happen more like 15 to 18 seconds ahead and decide what I am going to do if something happens.
Also being a passive driver isn't always the best thing in many cases aggressiveness is the menu of the day.

This reminds me of the time I was in Austin on Airport boulevard coming to the intersection of Lamar.
It was raining and wet.
Someone ahead slammed on their breaks.
I was driving a one ton truck pulling a 34 foot trailer.
All the cars in front of me were hitting each other.
I hit the brakes and put the truck in reverse and floored it and at the same time hit the trailer brakes as hard as they would go.
Smoke was rolling out of the dual tires spinning backwards and I came to a nice complete straight stop about 4 feet behind the car in front of me.
Hitting the trailer brakes hard kept me from jack knifing.
People on the side lines cheered and clapped at the maneuver.
I was about 26 years old at the time and would have possibly killed someone in that truck if I would have hit them.
I'm 57 years old never had a moving violation and only been in four traffic collisions.
Only two of those I couldn't avoid all of them were the other persons fault.
I had to slide half of my Harley under an 18 wheeler on Lamar to keep from being hit by a truck that pulled out in front of me at a red light to do a right hand turn.

Like I said not a lecture but good advice.
Regardless your fault their fault dead is dead.
You guys are very lucky to be alive.
I saw a cop stop and give a guy a ticket for just about the same thing coming off 35.
The guy passed me while I was driving a truck and slammed on his brakes to turn in.
The cop behind me swallowed his cigar and almost hit me because I locked them up.

You may not be at fault on this accident.

Worth
Let me clear up one thing - my husband was driving, not me, and if i'd been driving it would have probably been worse because my reaction time is awful. We had a good distance between us and the van in front of us and like I said we were able to slow down enough that if the hitch hadn't been there we probably would have only had a dented bumper at worst. I think the main thing was anticipating what the cars in front of us were going to do (i.e. not stop at the toll booth) and when that didn't happen there wasn't enough time to react and come to a full stop before making contact. If the barriers of the toll booth weren't there we could have turned out and probably avoided contact altogether. There weren't even any skid marks, that how much we had slowed down by the time my husband slammed on the brakes. Unfortunately as the officer explained to us in almost any strike from behind the car in front is not at fault. Even though the guy drove away without exchanging insurance info or waiting for the officer to show up, he was the victim in this scenario. I'm hoping the plumbing company who owns the van we hit doesn't decide they need to make any upgrades and come after us even though I'm 99% sure there was no damage aside from some of our radiator fluid splashing the bumper. My husband's a very good driver and has avoided similar situations in the past with no problems - this was his first accident actually (not mine haha). His dad gave him a lot of grief about it when he came to give us a ride but he also realized it was pretty unavoidable.
TexasTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2016   #1878
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
It could have been worse. Both the original idiot and the guy you hit could have simply said, "my neck hurts, call 911." Then they get a check for $20,000 from your insurance company. Lawyer takes a third.

I'd say situations like the one above constitute the majority of modern legal practice. Lawyer has secretary send angry letter to insurance company...lawyer gets $20k check in return and takes out his third. He never had to get out of his chair, or do anything resembling work.

I'm glad you're ok.
Oh I know it could have definitely been worse and I'm thankful it wasn't! I'd like to give that first driver a piece of my mind but I know it wouldn't do any good. I'm glad we called the police so it's very clear what happened and that the driver of the plumbing van was nice about everything, even though he couldn't state that there was no damage to the van since it's the company's van not his. The officer pointed out some bumper damage on his van and he said it had already been there so there hopefully won't be any extravagant charges from the plumbing company sent our way.

Thank you, I'm glad we're okay too. Just mad and all we're seeing now is dollar signs.
Old March 30, 2016   #1879
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

It might be Furio Giunta time.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2016   #1880
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
It might be Furio Giunta time.
I had no idea who that was and had to look him up.

I just took my motorcycle for and inspection and as soon as I left the house iy started to rain a little.
Got the thing inspected and on the way home I got soaked.
I was so glad to get it back in the barn and off the slick streets.

Now back to get the truck inspected and then to go get the annual registration on them.
Texas has stopped giving inspection stickers you now have to have it inspected before you can get it registered.
Saving money they said.
What ever.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2016   #1881
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Can anyone here tell me why I am reading a thread that has much motorcycle jargon,pardon me,b/c I know nada.

Other than a succession of convential bikes when I was a kid,the only thing I ever road were two wheeled electric scooters,room for two folks one behind the other and had to put your arms around the driver to stay on the darn thing.

And that was when I was travelling along the Mediterraean, a bunch of us were staying at some shabby pension,decided to ride over to Monte Carlo where Grace Kelly lived,and meet at the large smimming pool there.

The guys rented those scooters,and along the way I think 3/6 of them crashed, I was one of the three that didn't and were strung out along this winding dangerous mt Road by the sea,so didn't know they had crashed so we never met together,several broken arms,etc,and from there I traveled north and met two of the guys whose arms were still in slings.

Why is it that some of us can 't fix anything and others have a natural talent for devising and making this and that?

Freda,who helps me here at home can fix anything and her former DH,who died,was very much into stock car racing,when he died her son got involved and they would start with a simple frame and build the whole darn car.

Good thing my car sits in the garage on a trickle charger,and yes I know what it does,and so glad I decided to get that since my car is not driven much and when it is it's Freda's BILaw who drives it,thank heavens,since I can 't anymore.

Motorcycles mean closely watched by the Sherriff's Dept and State Police where I live.There's a huge motorcycle rally in Lake George each year, and what an event that is,in many ways.

Folks from all over the country come,some with wives in side cars,some with women driving,and they always take trips around here and even roar up my road,and one 99 yo lady,yes, 99yo who drives this huge red cycle each year.

Carolyn
Old March 30, 2016   #1882
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Can anyone here tell me why I am reading a thread that has much motorcycle jargon,pardon me,b/c I know nada.

Other than a succession of convential bikes when I was a kid,the only thing I ever road were two wheeled electric scooters,room for two folks one behind the other and had to put your arms around the driver to stay on the darn thing.

And that was when I was travelling along the Mediterraean, a bunch of us were staying at some shabby pension,decided to ride over to Monte Carlo where Grace Kelly lived,and meet at the large smimming pool there.

The guys rented those scooters,and along the way I think 3/6 of them crashed, I was one of the three that didn't and were strung out along this winding dangerous mt Road by the sea,so didn't know they had crashed so we never met together,several broken arms,etc,and from there I traveled north and met two of the guys whose arms were still in slings.

Why is it that some of us can 't fix anything and others have a natural talent for devising and making this and that?

Freda,who helps me here at home can fix anything and her former DH,who died,was very much into stock car racing,when he died her son got involved and they would start with a simple frame and build the whole darn car.

Good thing my car sits in the garage on a trickle charger,and yes I know what it does,and so glad I decided to get that since my car is not driven much and when it is it's Freda's BILaw who drives it,thank heavens,since I can 't anymore.

Motorcycles mean closely watched by the Sherriff's Dept and State Police where I live.There's a huge motorcycle rally in Lake George each year, and what an event that is,in many ways.

Folks from all over the country come,some with wives in side cars,some with women driving,and they always take trips around here and even roar up my road,and one 99 yo lady,yes, 99yo who drives this huge red cycle each year.

Carolyn
Carolyn you are looking because you have to keep an eye on me at all times.

Today I broke some kind of record.
I got two vehicles inspected and registered in less than 3 hours more like 2 1/2.

Worth
Old March 31, 2016   #1883
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Yesterday I took the Triumph to the store to get some celebratory ground meat for hamburgers.
On my way back I was soo pround of myself for fixing the thing and was going to report and brag on myself for such a good job.
Just, "And I mean just, as that thought came through my mind.
Snap crackle pop sputter phisssst bangstagger flop flopl stagger just as I got to the house.
You have got to be kidding me (((((SOB))))) after all of this work and it is acting up again.
I just rolled it in the barn and came inside wondering what on earth could be wrong now.
You have to look at this short video to see what was wrong.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Qx51FktI8r05Fw

Well that was resolved and off I went on a 40 mile test ride all of the place up and down the highway at high speed on the back roads and over hill and dale.

One thing that was very clear to me that was fixed, some time after it dawned on me.
No more high temperature rattle.
None zilch this thing has done that since the day it was put off the line they all did.
Well not any more.
Nary a miss nor a sputter for the whole trip.

Pictures of my trip and where I live coming after this post.

Worth
Old March 31, 2016   #1884
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Well like I said in tbe previous post.
This is all around my house and the other side of town.
Not actually 40 miles away.
It was a beautiful ride and a beautiful spring day in The Great State Of Texas.
The fourth pictuer on the divided highway is where the fire came through.
The pines are growing back and it will be as good as new one of these days.
Worth
IMG_20160331_49575.jpg

IMG_20160331_10748.jpg

IMG_20160331_27186.jpg

IMG_20160331_28471.jpg

IMG_20160331_39845.jpg

IMG_20160331_54792.jpg

IMG_20160331_14824.jpg

Last edited by Worth1; March 31, 2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old March 31, 2016   #1885
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad it was such a simple solution!
Old March 31, 2016   #1886
bower
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful area! I've never seen pictures of Texas, except your place Worth. Unless in the movies...

In the movies, it was dry and dusty and full of horses. In the news, it's always under water! This looks way better.

Last edited by bower; March 31, 2016 at 04:44 PM. Reason: added
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2016   #1887
henry
Tomatovillian™

Mileage goes up when the tank is empty. :]
Old April 1, 2016   #1888
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Not the first time I've heard of that "problem" befalling a rider! ☺️

My current bike is the only one of the four I've owned that has a fuel gage, but it's accuracy is very questionable. I learn early on what my per tank range is and watch miles since the last fill up.

Glad to hear it's running well--now go put some miles on that thing!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2016   #1889
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful country down that way, Worth. Yesterday, me and Lucy Lou took a ride up the holler, like we do most days since she has been old enough to follow the four wheeler. The trip is around a mile and a half one way, It's good exercise for, Lucy and mind clearing for me. The timber, mostly poplar is really coming back since it was logged in 1992. I grew up on this farm, and remember the big mature oaks that once stood where this pic was taken.

I'm starting to see life emerging here once again. The redbuds, and serviceberry are blooming this week. Last week the spicebush was in bloom, now it is putting out leaves. In two more weeks it will be completely green here.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2016   #1890
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad spring is coming for you Hellmanns.

Here is a picture of tonight's supper.
I have never made it before in my life.
Chicken Marsalla.
Been awhile since I posted a picture of food.
Worth
IMG_20160401_48319.jpg