Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 2, 2020   #16
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Gary for doing this great work again! You deserve a medal for public service! I will be participating.
Our field tomatoes this year is a total failure due to late blight (my 200 hundred + plants!), but the ones in the greenhouse and my home garden are doing well. Luckily we planted some other things that did well, like winter squash, cabbages, , Kale, Brussels sprouts. The food bank only accepts fresh donations once a week, so our zucchinis get pretty huge.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2020   #17
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I think it's time to visit my friends at the post office, to see if there are any new restrictions on sending to Canada.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2020   #18
T0mat0stevek
Tomatovillian™

I've only been growing tomatoes for three years. I'm looking forward to participating in my first major seed swap.
T0mat0stevek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2020   #19
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Welcome aboard... the Orca.

We're gonna need a bigger boat.
Old September 27, 2020   #20
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Does anyone need a free ticket for the ride? I am happy to sponsor someone.
Old September 29, 2020   #21
Lasairfion
Tomatovillian™

This year was a bit of a disaster, other than the beans and peas which grew like crazy and produced some lovely produce.

I'd really quite like to join in with getting some seeds for next year, but they'd have to be good for really cold/windy areas and a fast/short growing season otherwise all I end up with is green tomatoes (and I don't mean by variety). I'm UK based, but the weather is terrible, generally.

I have nothing to swap, I'm afraid, but I'd be happy to post over a jiffy bag (I guess that's what you mean by 'mailer') in return for something fast, cold-hardy and interesting
Lasairfion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2020   #22
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Glad to hear the enabler is healthy and ready to start afresh and see some old and new friends on this thread. I have huge pink beans hanging off the vine still ! I crammed 3 varieties 2 each I think in a 2 foot wide raised bed so I am sure they are all fabulous. Are these soup beans ? Never grew a hard bean before.

My garden has gone to ^G#T% due to a crazy work summer. I had incredible production due to the heat and everything grew together twice normal size.I have greenies left hanging on the vines even though it got to 33 last night. Back up to the upper 80's next week so I should be able to grab some for seed. Really enjoyed the season when I could venture outside and I hope the buried tags are legible!

I'll be un/under employed, retired, or a part timer remotely so will have time to do a proper garden layout next year.

Glad I checked in. Will be lurking for a bit longer until work completes.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2020   #23
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Glad to hear the enabler is healthy and ready to start afresh and see some old and new friends on this thread. I have huge pink beans hanging off the vine still ! I crammed 3 varieties 2 each I think in a 2 foot wide raised bed so I am sure they are all fabulous. Are these soup beans ? Never grew a hard bean before.

My garden has gone to ^G#T% due to a crazy work summer. I had incredible production due to the heat and everything grew together twice normal size.I have greenies left hanging on the vines even though it got to 33 last night. Back up to the upper 80's next week so I should be able to grab some for seed. Really enjoyed the season when I could venture outside and I hope the buried tags are legible!

I'll be un/under employed, retired, or a part timer remotely so will have time to do a proper garden layout next year.

Glad I checked in. Will be lurking for a bit longer until work completes.

- Lisa
Huge pink beans? Would those be Flamingo?
Old October 3, 2020   #24
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Yes Tormato, you sent me two varieties of beans, so 50 / 50 chance? They are still hanging on the vines. I tried one fresh picked about a month ago and it was too solid to eat fresh. Will it make an interesting cup of soup?

- Lisa
Old October 4, 2020   #25
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Flamingo, like one of its parents, Jeminez, would likely be usable as a fresh snap, a shellie, or a dry bean. The pink pods will turn to yellow, when cooked, as it's a wax bean. Jeminez turns from red to green.

But, like Jeminez, the pods are so tender, that they are almost impossible to shell as shelies. And, there are those that say Jeminez is a triple purpose bean.

As for dry beans, I AM DESPERATE FOR SOME SEEDS. Along with giving most of them away, I've had back to back crop failures the past two years. I'm hoping I have a few seeds stashed away somewhere, here.
Old October 6, 2020   #26
T0mat0stevek
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
An overview of the several parts of the swap, a brief note on labeling seed packs, number of seeds per pack, my address, bubble mailer or equivalent packaging, legible return address, wish list, return postage rates, a few deadlines listed, and then it should be a go.
I have a couple hundred packets ready to send in. I'm so excited! Just waiting for the details.

I have a couple of questions.
Would purple and brown tomatoes be included in the black category?
Is someone going to start a google docs for wish lists?
Will Sungolds or any other hybrids be available?

Thanks, Steve
T0mat0stevek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2020   #27
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0mat0stevek View Post
I have a couple hundred packets ready to send in. I'm so excited! Just waiting for the details.

I have a couple of questions.
Would purple and brown tomatoes be included in the black category?
Is someone going to start a google docs for wish lists?
Will Sungolds or any other hybrids be available?

Thanks, Steve
Cherokee Purple (dark), yes. Aunt Ginny's Purple (pink), no. All brown tomatoes, yes.

I'll start a wish list thread in the Wanted Varieties forum.

Some hybrids will be available. It's unknown if SunGold will be one of them. Putting it on your wish list may help.

It's supposed to be a wet windy day, here, tomorrow. So, I'll be working on swap details, and organizing my non-tomato seeds. I'll likely be offline for a couple of days.
Old November 3, 2020   #28
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

80 degrees here in Omaha today!
Apparently I started my new job a few days after posting a month ago. Due to Covid surging in the state, my part time job hours quickly expanded. It was so stressful I didn't sleep for a week and still can't get good rest

Back to MMMM.. In the evenings I have been prepping the following (may be enough for Nifty Fifty of each, no maters saved this year):

Tithonia aka Mexican sunflower - the last flowers picked today , still needs to dry
Rat Tailed Radish produces all summer, pretty purple flowers, needs room
Orange Marigold (solid color, about 2 inch flowers, 2.5 - 3 feet tall) some even smelled good!

a few packs of Butterfly weed, misc marigolds, zinnias (hot pink, white, orange)
anyone need fresh chive seeds? trying to catch as many as possible from reseeding !!!
Old November 4, 2020   #29
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
80 degrees here in Omaha today!
Apparently I started my new job a few days after posting a month ago. Due to Covid surging in the state, my part time job hours quickly expanded. It was so stressful I didn't sleep for a week and still can't get good rest

Back to MMMM.. In the evenings I have been prepping the following (may be enough for Nifty Fifty of each, no maters saved this year):

Tithonia aka Mexican sunflower - the last flowers picked today , still needs to dry
Rat Tailed Radish produces all summer, pretty purple flowers, needs room
Orange Marigold (solid color, about 2 inch flowers, 2.5 - 3 feet tall) some even smelled good!

a few packs of Butterfly weed, misc marigolds, zinnias (hot pink, white, orange)
anyone need fresh chive seeds? trying to catch as many as possible from reseeding !!!
Was the Rattail radish from a previous MMMM swap? And if so, did it grow true to form?

Also, I don't think I've posted much about the swap rules, yet.
Old November 5, 2020   #30
imp
Tomatovillian™

It would be good to have it all posted here, as well as the other site where some may not go. Thanks for doing the swap again, Gary and MissS.

What varieties of bean seeds are you looking for, Tormato?

Last edited by imp; November 6, 2020 at 08:52 AM.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote