Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 26, 2020   #16
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Gems: Madera, Pervaya Lyubov, Galahad F1 (so far).

Duds: Banana Toes and Bundaberg Rumball (dwarfs). BT has been a Septoria magnet for me. BR is a pretty tomato, but a tiny plant and low-yielding here.
Aw, I really liked Bundaberg Rumball. To agree with you on one thing, I had hoped for more productivity, but I’m also taking into account I may not have timed it great so I’m trying again. The fruits were dark and a little jammy, and contrasted nicely with another salad size, Peachy Keen, in color and flavor. I’ve got a couple started now for Florida fall, and will probably try for spring.

For me, Neptune, Peachy Keen and Jochalos micro were my three favorite gems. And Dwarf Pink Passion was a pretty prolific producer. Duds: loved the look of Dwarf Ourple Reign but I didn’t get many and they tended to get mushy before fully ripe, though that is a problem for me in general with slicers.
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2020   #17
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

I grew "Rosella" as well, exactly as you described. I thought it was mislabelled because I was expecting a dwarf. Your post confirmed a "Rosella" cherry for me, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK2016 View Post
I planted my tomatoes late, so production is very late. So far:

First Time Gem:

Rosella - pretty dusty rosy-purple color, wonderful tasting cherry, tons of blossoms,

Dud (so far):

Medovaya Kaplya - early producer but surprisingly bland taste, tends to fall off the vine so find them on the ground a lot (even green). I'm hoping the flavor improves later in the season b/c I was really looking forward to this. Last year Galina was a "dud" too, very productive but bland taste. Same for Sweet Treats, just blah.

But then, lots of yellow/orange tomatoes seem blah to me. Only one year was Chef's Choice Orange super tasty, since then so blah I didn't grow it. Kellogg's Breakfast and KBX, both blah. Growing Dad's Sunset this year, in hopes of finding an orange I like.

I do love Lillian's Yellow Heirloom.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2020   #18
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Well My Gary'O was the first tomato ready for eating here on my farm. The Color was truly Red and Blue. I served them to my hubby on a small white plate to show the colors of the American Flag.

I need to get permission to share these small Tomatoes because they was a part of an Experiment here many years ago.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2020   #19
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

The Dud for this year was not cutting down my all my heirloom tomatoes growing over 14 feet before a storm. I just did not have the time, which is good thing to be safe than sorry. So everyone "Be Safe than sorry for Hurricane Laura, Amen! Leaves every thing behind if you do not have the time. I am praying for you'll in Texas and Louisiana Amen!!!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2020   #20
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

First time gem: livingston's magnus and juane flamee Loved both and still getting a lot of delicious toms from them. Magnus seems to be a later producer then my others and I'm okay with that.

dud: ananas noir which is usually good for me was sickly and gave me a few tomatoes but they did not have the usually delicious flavor. Disappointed!
rhoder551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2020   #21
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

gem:
Soldacki,a big tomato that was ripe here in july.
Sun gold,was the 1st cherry size to get ripe.
Sweet million,took a long time due to deer damage,
but good productivity once it recovered.

dud:
Gladiator from seed and bought plants.Was supposed to be a big paste type.
Came out puny.
Indigo blue beauty from saved seeds,not as blue as the originals.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2020   #22
LK2016
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestGardener View Post
I grew "Rosella" as well, exactly as you described. I thought it was mislabelled because I was expecting a dwarf. Your post confirmed a "Rosella" cherry for me, thanks!
It can be confusing, right? Rosella Purple (and Rosella Crimson) are dwarfs. i've grown (and love) Rosella Purple - it is absolutely delicious, I just wish it were more productive.
LK2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2020   #23
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

LK1016, I agree about Rosella Purple - excellent taste but doesn't produce, same result 2 yrs in row. I will not grow again. Will grow Rosella Crimson - good producer, good flavor.

Last edited by tryno12; August 27, 2020 at 12:17 AM. Reason: incomplete
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2020   #24
smithmal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Duds so far:

Dr. Carolyn Pink (red). Vigorous and healthy
Galina, prolific, but subject to Septoria

Both taste bland, but are supposed to be fabulous later in the season.

Linda
Linda,

Sorry, I didn't notice that you grew the "pink" version of Dr. Carolyn's. I was commenting on my experience with the original ivory colored cherry. Would love to hear your thoughts on the pink version at the end of the season in regards to its productivity and flavor. The ivory version is incredibly productive with very good flavor but in my area flavor didn't kick in until around day 75 - 85 (zone 6b; central MD).
smithmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2020   #25
davidj
Tomatovillian™

Gems so far this year:
- My PL sport that appeared last year from Orange Stawberry. It was surprinsingly early (it may have to do with hot weather) at about 65 days after transplant !!! I'll have to see if it will be the same next year.
- True Colors, a mid-season beautiful and delicious bicolor green heart tomato
- Buryy medved, a mid-season beefsteak bicolor green tomato
- Medvedzhiya Lapa, juicy red tomato, I got a 260 g tomato ripe 58 after transplant !!
- Malakhitovaya Shkatulka, wonderful GWR tomato
- Zena's Gift, another big gem from Karen Olivier

Duds:
- Pastel Orange heart, still waiting for a ripe tomato, but plant is now dying
- My seeds of Northern Lights, it used to give me big beefsteak tomato, now I get only small beefsteak tomato... I thought I went back in my seeds that were giving great fruits... I'll buy a new seed pack

We have very high disease pressure this summer and weather was a bit weird. Very very (very) hot (days and nights) and dry at the beginning of the season, then wet and mild weather, but still hot. And suddenly, it was 7 oC yesterday morning and 3 oC this morning !

David
davidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2020   #26
smithmal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK2016 View Post

But then, lots of yellow/orange tomatoes seem blah to me. Only one year was Chef's Choice Orange super tasty, since then so blah I didn't grow it. Kellogg's Breakfast and KBX, both blah. Growing Dad's Sunset this year, in hopes of finding an orange I like.

I do love Lillian's Yellow Heirloom.
KB and KBX have always been fickle for me. When they produce they are stupendous. This year KB was fantastic for me. I've grown Hugh's, Dr. Wyche's and of course Azoychka. Grew Azoychka this year and it didn't produce well for me this year (though it has for me in the past). I've read things about Kentucky Beefsteak and Summertime Gold.
smithmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2020   #27
LK2016
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryno12 View Post
LK1016, I agree about Rosella Purple - excellent taste but doesn't produce, same result 2 yrs in row. I will not grow again. Will grow Rosella Crimson - good producer, good flavor.
I'll have to try Rosella Crimson next year then!
Old August 27, 2020   #28
LK2016
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithmal View Post
KB and KBX have always been fickle for me. When they produce they are stupendous. This year KB was fantastic for me. I've grown Hugh's, Dr. Wyche's and of course Azoychka. Grew Azoychka this year and it didn't produce well for me this year (though it has for me in the past). I've read things about Kentucky Beefsteak and Summertime Gold.
What is the flavor of your KB/KBX like when they produce? I have had some nice big tomatoes from each - beautiful, juicy, lovely texture - and very nice in salads with some balsamic to kick it up. But for straight fresh eating, very bland flavor. I was thinking Azoychka might have more intense flavor, and I have seeds for Dr. Wyche. Oh, the one other yellow tomato I grew that had nice intense flavor - really a bi-color - was Summer Sunrise. But again, a dwarf that tastes fabulous but I'm lucky to get one tomato all season.
Old August 27, 2020   #29
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
The Dud for this year was not cutting down my all my heirloom tomatoes growing over 14 feet before a storm. I just did not have the time, which is good thing to be safe than sorry. So everyone "Be Safe than sorry for Hurricane Laura, Amen! Leaves every thing behind if you do not have the time. I am praying for you'll in Texas and Louisiana Amen!!!
Amen to this. As a Floridian we're always biting our nails this time of year, but we feel terrible about these hurricanes hitting anyone even when it spares us.

Sorry about your 14-footers (wow) being hit by the earlier one (Isaias?). That's a tough break. But glad you're ok.
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2020   #30
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Smithal, I've grown Dr. Carolyn Pink before, and noticed that the flavour improved later in the season. It's my first time growing Galina, but they are related, so I expect great things, but just wish they would hurry up......

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote