Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 11, 2020   #61
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Nice to see the photos at Remy's site, looking forward to growing Santa Maria. I had 6 seeds from a seed swap from 2014, never grown it. I started all 6 seeds in damp paper towels on heat, and 5 of 6 germinated between days 4-8. Pretty good! Since I don't need six plants, I didn't wait for the last one.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2020   #62
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad I grew this one, especially since Remy started this thread and has now passed away. What a great tomato! It was larger than I expected, two of the tomatoes weighed in at around 1 lb 6 oz, two just smaller at 14 oz. Lumpy or hearty shapes, Very meaty, few seeds, good stout fruit holds well on the vine, very minor cracking. Good flavor, nice acidity, good for eating fresh, should make great sauce.

Any one else grow them this summer?

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2020   #63
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
I'm glad I grew this one, especially since Remy started this thread and has now passed away. What a great tomato! It was larger than I expected, two of the tomatoes weighed in at around 1 lb 6 oz, two just smaller at 14 oz. Lumpy or hearty shapes, Very meaty, few seeds, good stout fruit holds well on the vine, very minor cracking. Good flavor, nice acidity, good for eating fresh, should make great sauce.

Any one else grow them this summer?
That’s a gorgeous tomato
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2020   #64
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

I grew two Santa Maria plants this year...took forever to germinate....harvested maybe 10 tomatoes...not impressed at all...wont try again...much better success with San marzano, and Heidi...also grew Opelika, and opalaka did not do well either...san marzano produced approx. 64 lbs of big juice tomatoes...no problem with blossom end rot.....heidi the same...in fact 4 Heidi, and 4 San marzano are still going..im in central texas..maybe not the right climate for Santa Maria...
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2020   #65
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

I grew two Santa Maria plants this year...took forever to germinate....harvested maybe 10 tomatoes...not impressed at all...wont try again...much better success with San marzano, and Heidi...also grew Opelika, and opalaka did not do well either...san marzano produced approx. 64 lbs of big juice tomatoes...no problem with blossom end rot.....heidi the same...in fact 4 Heidi, and 4 San marzano are still going..im in central texas..maybe not the right climate for Santa Maria...
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote