Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 21, 2020   #31
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

My '19-20 season I grew Chef Choice: Orange, Black, Pink, and Yellow.

The CC Orange was the most productive large tomato I've ever grown. I grew it a few years earlier also.

Black, Pink and Yellow were new to me.

Black - pretty tomatoes, no splitting, fairly large tomatoes.

Pink - My tomatoes were huge. all >1 lb and fairly productive, no splitting. Looked like an heirloom tomato. The pictures that some of the vendors have of the tomato look nothing like the tomato.

Yellow - Tomatoes were large - bigger than CC Orange.

--
I would be interested in hearing about the striped and bicolor tomatoes once you taste them.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2020   #32
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Any input on the bicolor or striped tomato?

My season starts in 3 weeks so still have time to acquire seeds.

Any comparison to other tomatoes would be appreciated.

Thank you
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2020   #33
gdaddybill
Tomatovillian™

Both tasted great but the CC Bicolor was a bit healthier plant and more productive/larger tomatoes.

Also liked Kentucky Beefsteak
gdaddybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2020   #34
PaulTandberg
Tomatovillian™

I've got one of each. The maturity is listed the same for both, but my Striped started ripening fruit a week earlier for some reason.

So far, the fruit of each one looks about the same, yellow with red blushes (my Striped isn't as clearly striped as the photos in the catalogs). The Bicolor's fruit is clearly larger than the Striped, but the Striped is nice sized (the Bicolor's fruit is large). Both are lovely tomatoes.

I've only eaten the Striped so far. It is mild, sweet, and very meaty. My first impression of the Striped was that it was some kind of new, exotic fruit from a tropical island somewhere, not a tomato. A wonderful taste with very few seeds and little gel. It is a very solid fruit, it almost looks like a peach inside.

I have four Bicolors on the table waiting to be eaten, but I left on a short fishing trip before I could get to them.

I don't know anything about the Chef's Choice breeder/breeding program, but they are doing a really nice job. Lot's of breeders are right now. It is a tomato golden age.

Last edited by PaulTandberg; August 6, 2020 at 01:47 PM.
PaulTandberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2020   #35
PaulTandberg
Tomatovillian™

(whoops)

Last edited by PaulTandberg; August 6, 2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old August 6, 2020   #36
PaulTandberg
Tomatovillian™

My Bicolor plant is also a larger, more vigorous plant than my Striped. But, I have no complaints with the Striped, it has had me eating earlier.
Old September 1, 2020   #37
strawbaleking
Tomatovillian™

Default Update on 4 Chefs Choice varieties

Pink - can't take my awful N. Calif. heat I guess. (lots of 100 degree and smoke for a good while) One very large very firm almost tasteless. Massive plant. It's now Sept. 1st and there is still no more setting even though I buzz the flowers *and most everything else is still setting.*

Green - was putting out smaller round good tasting tomatoes, skin kinda thick though, but 2 weeks ago it wilted up over 2 days. It was planted in new sterile potting soil in a 10 gallon grow bag. No other symptoms but cut stem had brown rings in it. I am very careful with contamination. Dunno. Pulled.

Orange - I tried to like the fruit. It was beautiful and plentiful. But way way too firm and not good enough taste to me or my family.

Black - pretty good, still putting out. But not that good texture. Tended to be somewhat mealy. Was pretty early.

None will return.

Was extremely happy with my first year with Eva Purple Ball Big Beef cross, Eva Ste Wendell. Perfect globes, no core, sweet balanced, good texture, juicy, thin skin, heat had no effect on it, hardly any prob with leaf disease, very productive.
New to me Terhune still putting out very good fruit and setting.
New to me Carbon and Earl Faux both very good but stopped setting during heat but are setting again while the CC Pink is not. Carbon was pretty good not wow good. New also was Cherokee Green. Never had a GWR before. WOW! I want more but it almost dead to some kind of blight.
Big Beef hated. Whopper tons a BER. Of course they are going gangbusters. Good for salsa.
Dwarfs I did, dunno not sure if worth it for me.
Loved Margaret Curtain but it died of maybe grey mold very quickly.

I know above is off topic but just trying to give comparison.
strawbaleking is offline   Reply With Quote