Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 26, 2020   #1
Volvo
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Taste

fair to say this topic has been brought up in the past but still interesting to know what different people look out for in the taste of their Tomato????.
For me since the early 2000's when i recieved seeds from Members of the old Gardenweb, Carolyn, Earl, Grub , Rosco , and others i started my first lot of Heirloom Tomatos.
An old Coulple living on an acerage close by had Goats and sold their Goat manure help supplement feed etc for their Goats and Garden.
I couldnt get enough of that Goat poop and must have had it foot or so thick in my Vegy Plot and must dig out soime of the old Photos of the size of some of those Tomato plants lol.
But the main contenders for my taste buds then were the likes of

Mariannas Peace

Black ,Pink & Red Brandywines
Earls faux as well as a few others , But cut in a sandwich or Salad those Tomatos left a lingering taste in the pallatte after consuming which was so pleasant and what i look for in flavour of a Tomato today.
I know some rate their Flavours as Sweet , Smokey, Acidy etc and thats okay as gives an idea as to what to expect from variouse fruit ey??..
Im not sure if most of you know what "Trahana " is??.
Trahana is a dried food ingredient, based on a fermented mixture of grain and yoghurt or fermented milk, found in the cuisines of Southeast Europe and the Middle East.
Thanks to Google , saves a lot of expleanation lol.
But when i was a young Lad my Mother used to make this stuff and i for fear of missing out on something or other during off School days would raid her stockpile along with a Couple of Dads homegrown Tomatos and that would keep the Stomache at bay whilst i either went Fishing with the mates or off chasing Golf Balls at the local Golf Links .
Always had a love for Tomatos and well made Trahana..
Mindyou the Trahana was kept dried in the pocket and chewed on when the stomache requested..

Hope i havent bored the Bejayzus out of all in this post regarding Taste ey..
And Your Better Best
Volvo is offline   Reply With Quote