Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old October 18, 2020   #1
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Default Carbon farming?

A new phase of my Red Baron Project has started. It's been a while since I regularly posted here, but I did not stop working on it. Read about the latest phase here:

A Skeptical Science member's path to an experiment on carbon sequestration

It's come a long way from the crazy musings of a Tomatovillian.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2020   #2
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Holy smokes Scott! You've gone levels above! Very interesting.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2020   #3
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Thanks SalsaCharley,
Yes, it has been quite an adventure. Still not there yet, but the trip is the point, more than the destination.

BTW only 4 days left. So my nerves are a bit frazzled. Don't wory. I'll do this either way. But the difference will be if the science doesn't get funded, I'll not be able to have published scientific documentation. Just anecdotal evidence. Useful for me and you guys gardening in your back yards, but not useful in expanding it to be included in USDA-GAP (Good Agricultural Practices) for commercial farmers to use. That's the primary purpose for the scientific trials.

If anyone here wants to help with that:
What is the rate a new regenerative agricultural method sequesters carbon in the soil?

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
Old October 25, 2020   #4
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Can you believe it? You posted this 6 days ago and you and I are the only ones who have even viewed this thread. There are only 3 views at the time I'm posting this.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2020   #5
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

I've viewed it, and am interested in how this would work with small scale home gardens. I'd like to know just exactly what is being tried.so that we can put it into practice.
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2020   #6
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Viewing as well!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2020   #7
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
Can you believe it? You posted this 6 days ago and you and I are the only ones who have even viewed this thread. There are only 3 views at the time I'm posting this.
I too read it and found it interesting. Don't know why my viewing was not counted.
Nothing to say much that applies except that I always chop and drop for my hedges and have never had to fertilize anything there for as long as I can recall (25yrs?).
No digging around my fig tree either with litter always left as a mulch plus mowed leaves.
I always leave stuff on any beds I have, to keep neighbourhood cats from digging there.
Any time I've had a no dig garden I've always had it covered with mulch etc to keep the soil looking good, soft and active under the mulch.
Now, any time I pull back what's on top under the hedges I see mostly worm castings.
I have done this despite having been told that the bacteria that break down the mulch use up the nitrogen in the soil. This has never been an issue for me. I think maybe because the soil has not had fresh stuff dug into it but rather everything lays on top. Maybe.
If I were planting something like lettuce I would either fertilize as planting or use liquid fertilizers.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2020   #8
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitridge View Post
I've viewed it, and am interested in how this would work with small scale home gardens. I'd like to know just exactly what is being tried.so that we can put it into practice.
Sure biscuitridge. (and any others viewing) I started the project several years ago at Tomatoville. You are more than welcome to go back to 2013 and see the development phase before I eventually expanded it. I am eternally indebted to this great forum. None of this would have happened without Tomatoville!

The Red Baron Project year one

The Red Baron Project year two

The Red Baron Project year three

Been working on it here in Oklahoma ever since, but my schedule is kind of crazy. That should get you guys who just joined Tomatoville up to speed though.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old January 29, 2021   #9
bower
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations on successfully funding the project Scott!
Great project btw.
Looking forward to hear the results!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote