Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 28, 2014   #1
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Default North Charleston ground

I moved here last year and am getting ready for my tomatoes, this soil is terrible here. Huge pin trees all around the house, dirt looks like 1/2 sand and some black soil. So many bugs in dirt, and squirrels everywhere. Backyard and side gets 8-10 hour's of sun.

Lowes down here has Black Kow bags of compost i see that they say on there website you can grow cherries from the bags. Must use the side or backyard for my tomatoes and peppers only no driveway pots can be here. I dont think i can dig here to many bugs , anyone know what i could use pots are Bags
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2014   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

Looks like you're already collecting some containers that might be a good size for peppers and tomatoes. Are you planning to stay in your current location? If not, it sounds like containers would make the most sense.

I'd start searching the old threads about open container growing and see what people have successfully used for a mix and begin searching to find what there is locally that's free/cheap. As I recall, there are lots of combinations that will grow tomatoes/peppers without being too wet. Not sure you need to use 100% compost, though- wouldn't that be too rich?

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2014   #3
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Yes containers or bags, i which i could grow then in the driveway like Craig does. nothing in front the homes.
Old March 1, 2014   #4
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Actually, your soil looks and sounds pretty good, other than being compacted and maybe needing a bit of compost for water retention. A little love and it might surprise you!

I'm not seeing any big patches in your yard where you plants on the ground are going to get 8-10 hours of direct sun. I think this will be your biggest challenge. I've grown both peppers and tomatoes in grow bags but tomatoes are such big plants, grow bags were a challenge to keep watered and keep the tomatoes upright. I would go containers if you need to go that route to catch the light. There are threads here for self watering containers which you can make yourself from a $4 bin from a box store. They work great. I prefer these over buckets because I don't want to be a slave to watering. I'm not remotely handy (my husband hides his power tools from me) and I can whip one up in about 45 minutes. Someone handy could do it in half that time.

Stacy
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2014   #5
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

I took these pic in the morning the backyard gets a ton of sun and the sun we be high in 2 month's.
Old March 1, 2014   #6
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

I bet you'll whip everything into shape...
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote