Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 10, 2015   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I think your plant is still young let it mature and it will grow out of it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2015   #17
encore
Tomatovillian™

here's plant, I got one good fruit off each plant so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006.JPG (190.2 KB, 41 views)
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2015   #18
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by encore View Post
here's one that started to grow, and I just touched it and it fell off! over watering? needs fertilizer? if so what? tom
I think this one just didn't get pollinated. I could be wrong but I think they start to grow without pollination, but if it doesn't happen it will shrivel up and fall off. You have three plants, so wait impatiently until you have a male flower to pollinate with. Sound effects optional!
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2015   #19
encore
Tomatovillian™

I've only seen one bumble bee out there so far and he's pretty much staying with the tomato and pepper plants, so much pollen on his legs don't know how he can even fly! lol guess i'll have to play a bee when the next female blossoms appear. can I pick a male blossom and keep it somehow and use it when the female blossoms open?
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #20
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

I have no idea. I guess it couldn't hurt to try, but I couldn't tell you if it would work or not. Unless you really want to stick with OP zukes, I would really recommend trying a parthenocarpic hybrid next year, like Easypick or Partenon. They sell Easypick at Totally Tomatoes and other places. Partenon is sold at High Mowing Seed. It's expensive but shipping is free. It's magic and it doesn't need pollinating.

As for this year, have fun playing bee.

I hope you get zucchini coming out of your ears, encore!
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #21
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I have no idea how long the pollen will stay viable once you pick the flower, but I do know that my plants eventually do get in synch. Right know they are piling on the male flowers with no sign of any females. The female flowers usually start to appear a good week or two later. I direct sowed this year and got them in a bit later than in past years, so my plants are a bit behind schedule.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote