Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old November 27, 2007   #16
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Your favorite place to buy seed potatoes

Just a heads up on Potato Garden (Milk Ranch). If anyone decides to order from them you might want to call to do so. I ordered through their website, even received an email with my order confirmation, and nothing. My debit card wasn't charged & I did not receive my order. So I forwarded them the confirmation email they had sent me, asking if they would be filling my order or if I needed to order again. Still, no response.

On their website, PotatoGarden.com, the catalog listing of their varieties was taken off or hidden from public viewing for a few days, starting one or two days after I ordered. So I'm guessing they are just having technical problems with orders, possibly.

Why they aren't curteous enough to reply to emails, I don't know. But it's definitely frustrating.

As I mentioned, my advice is to call them rather than ordering on-line. If anyone has had success ordering on-line from them, I'd be interested in knowing.

Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2007   #17
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

gardenhappy,

Did you start those potatoes in Florida? You'll have to let us know how they are doing for you. I imagine there are different types of bugs you have to contend with when growing in-ground there than someplace like here in Ohio. Curious how it goes for you....

Jeff
Old November 27, 2007   #18
Rena
Tomatovillian™

I thought I was having memory loss I PLACED an order too! I kept thinking when are my potatoes going to get here.....? I did not find my confirmation email but I know I got one. I would have to research to see if I was charged. Maybe something is up with them.... I will check it out......
OMAHA Thank you for posting this.
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2007   #19
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Oops! I read this too late. I placed an order on line with Potato Garden/Milk Ranch this morning. Thanks!
Old November 27, 2007   #20
Rena
Tomatovillian™

I just called them. They took my name and address for a catalog. They said their NEW website works.
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2007   #21
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info, Rena!
Old November 27, 2007   #22
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Rena, I didn't realize they had a print catalog. I almost called them this morning since I came home sick from work, but wasn't feeling up to it. Maybe I'll call Friday if I get home early enough.

It's a mystery why my order through their new website didn't get taken care of. Or my email answered.

I'll definitely have to call soon...Thanks for the info, Jeff
Old November 28, 2007   #23
goldpearl
Tomatovillian™

The Potato Garden sure looks alot like www.ronnigers.com
They are both in Austin Colorado, so I guess its the same potatoes..
Old December 27, 2007   #24
kktwahoo
Tomatovillian™

Golden Pearl,

Are the prices the same? I agree, it looks like the same website and all.

I heard that SSE gets their seed potatoes from Colorado - is this the place?

Omaha, did you leave Nebraska, voluntarily? LOL
I read somewhere recently that you get 10 to 20 pounds of potatoes for each pound of seedlings planted, depending on weather, moisture, care, how you plant, etc.

We planted 10 lbs. this spring, and we got about 200 lbs, we are estimating. Planted late (mid-June), 30 miles west of Omaha, and had lots of rain starting Aug 1.

Keep thinking,

Kent & Kathy, near Wahoo, Nebraska
kktwahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2007   #25
kktwahoo
Tomatovillian™

Okay, White Mountain Farms, at Mosca, Colorado, has organic potatoes, and sells to SSE, according to the guy on that 877 number. They are the ones at Ronnigers - Milk Ranch owns Ronnigers and Potato Garden. So, they ARE the same.

Nice people, on the phone.

Kent
Old January 1, 2008   #26
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Kent/Kathy,

Ah, some cornhuskers ran me outta that state! J/K...
It was just time to leave. Originally I was moving to Salt Lake City after I left Omaha, but couldn't breath when I got there (severe allergies/allergy induced asthma). I was literally suffocating and knew it was a no go for me there. To make a long story short I ended up back in my hometown. Don't know how long I'll stick around, but I'm trying to make the best of it.

BTW, Milk Ranch might be nice to deal with over the phone but their service on the internet is non-existent. At least for me it was. They never processed my order and did not respond to either email I sent. Why have an internet catalog for ordering purposes if you're not going to honor the orders? Very poor customer service.

Jeff
Old January 1, 2008   #27
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

You guys have me nervous about my potato order. They took about two weeks to send me an order confirmation via email. I guess we'll know in a couple of months. Next time I'll just call it in.
Old January 1, 2008   #28
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Michelle,

In my case, the money was never taken out of my account, that's why I sent a message to them asking about my order. If you check your debit or credit card account to see if the money was taken out, you'll probably have the answer of whether to expect your potato seed or not. I also received the automatic original message telling me my order was received. It was just never put through.

Calling them might be a good idea if you don't see the money was taken out of your account. Supposedly good people to deal with, just inadequate when it comes to filling internet orders.

Good luck!

Jeff
Old January 1, 2008   #29
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I used my debit card and requested they be delivered the first week of March. Nothing has been taken out of my account so far but lots of companies don't charge you until they ship your order out. If I don't see anything by the second week of March I'll give them a call. Thanks!
Old January 7, 2008   #30
kktwahoo
Tomatovillian™

Jeff and Michele,

Jeff, I guess I am lucky. I do not have allergies, but my wife does. Good luck, I will research allergies for you. I know alot about stuff like that - I am a vet! No kidding, I do study alternative stuff a lot - like tomatoville! LOL

Okay, I have tried and tried and tried to get a catalog from Milk Ranch, and nothing, nada. End of trying.

I did talk to White Mountain Farms, and the main guy is Paul. Nice guy. One of his competitors (there are a lot of potatoes grown in western Colorado for some reason) did tell me that he sells seed potatoes to SSE.

Well, Paul will sell me seed potatoes for $1.00 per pound under 50 lbs. or 45 cents a pound over 50 lbs. I do NOT think you can group varieties on this deal. But, SSE is $2.75 a pound or so. Both White Mountain and SSE add shipping.

I am about equidistant between the two, so shipping should be about equal. Too bad I cannot just take some off the truck that takes them from White Mountain to SSE, it goes 20 miles from my house!

Anyway, I am putting together a large order for me and two friends, and they do answer the phone, but are out of German Butterball already.

More later,

Kent & Kathy, near Wahoo