Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old June 5, 2012   #1
marc108
Tomatovillian™

Default what is all over my cucumbers?

i bought this bush variety form home depot for a buck... the circular leaves had some holes and what looks like dried out areas on them when i bought them. now that the heart shaped leaves have opened up they are covered in little spots. any clue what this is or how i can deal with it?

also i believe this is 2 plants in the same hole not just one? will they be ok growing like this with adequate nutrition & sunlight or no? if not, should i snip one or dig them up and separate them out?

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cucs.jpg (368.8 KB, 60 views)
marc108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2012   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Marc108, I wouldn't worry about the multiple plants. Sometimes when I start cucumber seeds, I get more than one plant in the cell. I don't thin or anything. I just plant them and let nature take its course. Cucumbers and Pickling cucumbers will produce extremely well even when densely planted. But, I wouldn't exceed more than 3 or 4 in a seed starting cell.

Now, you can have too many plants in a cell and thus in your garden. But the two you have is not going to be a problem. If you intend to trellis them, just start them off in slightly different upward directions as they grow taller. You can even put them on different trellises, but that would be a stretch because cukes tend to put out lots of blooms very close to the ground.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote