Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 4, 2006   #1
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone Growing Extreme Bush?

I have an Extreme Bush plant in a 4 gal. pot. It is already taller than the 18" I was expecting. The plant is heavily leaved with large regular leaves. The lower ones curl inward but are otherwise pliable and healthy. What type fruit should I expect?
I have Red Russian, Victorian Dwarf, Kimberly, Sophies Choice, Little Leprechaun, and Golden Dwarf Champion as well, plus others totalling 60 plants (58 varieties). I should have harvest in a little over a month.

Michael 8)
MikeInCypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2006   #2
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Michael...I have 2 Extreme Bush plants , about ready to go into a cold frame next week. Mine are about 12" at 7 weeks and virtually identical to the other dwarfs started at the same time: Golden Dwarf champion, White Bush, Japanese Dawrf, and New Big Dwarf(the biggest by a nose).
They are the first plants I have ever hardened off that won't wilt when the weather is tough..
Everyone who sees all the plants likes the tray of dwarfs best for their beautiful foilage.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2006   #3
Dave_Z6
CHOPTAG™

I have several Extreme Bush at nine weeks,about 14"-16", lots of bloom on all, but no fruit set. They are still in quart pots . Will sneak one in the ground ( protected by hoop cover ) in about ten days.
Mike: They are supposed to bear 3 oz. red globes at about 50 DTM.
Dave
Dave_Z6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2006   #4
Glenn 50
Tomatovillian™

I've seen Extreme Bush ...it's a volunteer that showed some genetic faults from it's parent. Prone to instability. Believed to suffer from wilt. Tasteless and prone to parasites.
If you want to grow a good tomato named after a President try Abraham Lincoln.
Glenn 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2006   #5
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Mike-Are you growing Extreme Bush from Victory? I grew it last year from them, and the plant was about 2 1/2 feet tall. Was not too productive for me nor did the fruit taste good. Michael
Old April 7, 2006   #6
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Michael- yes Extreme Bush from Victory Seeds. Plant is very vigorous, Leaves curl upward. No fruit yet. I was hoping for a nice salad tomato. Guess I'll be tring another. Thanks.

Michael (MikeInCypress)
MikeInCypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2006   #7
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Michael-Dont give up on it-I dont think my growing conditions were the best. I have not grown it outside, just in the greenhouse during the winter in an out of the way (for sun) place. Let us know your experience.
Old November 9, 2007   #8
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Old thread, I know.

I'm growing Extreme Bush this fall and am rather impressed with it. My source was the '07 Yearbook (Bill M). Two foot plants, thick (but not rugose) RL foliage, 2-2.5 oz fruits with good to very good "tomatoey" taste -- especially considering the plant, fruit size, and time of year.

I've also noticed a strong tendency for those lower leaves to roll.

Will try and post a fruit pic at some point.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2007   #9
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Suze-nothing wrong with reviving an old thread. I would like to see a photo of your plant with fruit-there is extreme bush, there is one floating around something like extreme bush dwarf german.
Old November 9, 2007   #10
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Suze...I still have an Extreme Bush in my cold frame...It has been producing since June...The top of the plant has frozen several times , but I still pick 4 or 5 fruit every so often...I thought it was a decent tomato for salads too...Not a top tenner, but much better than the majority.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2007   #11
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Working my way through a computer crash, but back to Tomatoville at least

I grew Extreme (Dwarf?) Bush in 2006 - seed source PI 302463 - my notes indicate high production, healthy fruit, perfect plant size for tomato ring - OK for salads, but nothing outstanding taste wise. I'll try to post a few pics once my system is back up ...
Old November 12, 2007   #12
creister
Tomatovillian™

I grew two plants this year. They both produced moderatly. Some tasted really nice and some were not so good. Both plants were very hardy to neglect and mites. One is still going with about 10 fruits. Hopefully they will ripen before first frost. I can't remember where I got them, I think it was Victory seeds also. Will grow again next year.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2007   #13
BVGardener
Tomatovillian™

I have a Extreme Bush in my fall garden. Below is a photo that is maybe a week or so old. I'll get a current photo of it posted this week. My source was Victory Seeds and the leaves do curl quite a bit. No ripe fruit yet but very productive.

Jay

BVGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2007   #14
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Jay's picture is representative of what my Extreme Bush plants look like, but his plant is healthier than mine are for sure.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2007   #15
BVGardener
Tomatovillian™

Here is a photo of Extreme Bush I took this morning.

Jay

BVGardener is offline   Reply With Quote