Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 18, 2017   #1
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Default What Decease?

What is this guys problem? Most all of the new little toms(not many) have severe catface or BER. Maybe just not enough stem to support(water and nutrition wise) all those suckers i let grow? Or is it decease - I have pulled off a lot of blighty / yellowed looking leaves

I just gave it a good shot on TT + epsom salts + 12.12.12 + rock dust

Sorry for the sideways pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170818_190407.jpg (528.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 20170818_190416.jpg (483.5 KB, 76 views)
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2017   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It looks like leaf curl. Here's a site that might help http://homeguides.sfgate.com/remedie...nts-39900.html
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2017   #3
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

thanks salt, after reading only real thing i see would be improper pruning? i wonder if i clipped a few of the big suckers off what would happen the plant has looked like this for several weeks and has produced nothing but has a few little guys now

Last edited by tryno12; August 18, 2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old August 18, 2017   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I meant to ask what variety the tomato plant is?

I grew one this year that had wispy leaves - Brad's Atomic Grape. It looked a bit like your pictures.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2017   #5
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Salt, this is a grafted plant from a friend - he got it (them-3-all seem to have different "tops) from a friend so don't know parents. the others did well, this one did ok with a few fruit picked 7/7/2017 and virtually none since. The other 2 I seem to have pruned more. I planted a few of the suckers of one of them and they produce but the plant and the fruits are smaller.
Pete
Old August 19, 2017   #6
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

That looks like a seriously stressed plant to me. You have given it an awful lot of fertilizer and it is right next to the house which may be reflecting a lot of heat. It is near a lot of other plants and may have received uneven watering as well. Possibly excess pruning has also stressed it.

I don't see any disease that I recognize.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2017   #7
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I'm not sure if it is yourself that has another thread throwing in the towel. Hope this plant is still hanging on.

I agree with brownrex. My two cents on the leaf curl is excess fertilizer, but I don't think the small fruit is also a result of this. BER can also be too much love. Get rid of those and any damaged tomatoes on this stressed plant.

Perhaps someone with grafting experience will chime in on the stem to foliage ratio. Since the growing season is starting to get tight, I don't think it would cause any harm to experiment with pulling some of the foliage without blossoms off.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2017   #8
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

thanks all, i might try to take a couple stems off - should have suckered it better! I always made sure it had enough water and that side of the house is shaded from 2:00 pm on so heat i think is not the prob - it is kinda looking a bit better, tops growing, flowering, and setting a few fruit that look good - maybe the epsom salts and nutrients kicking in? but i think tomorrow i will get brave a cut a couple 1/2" older stems

hope and pray for the tomatovillians down there in coastal texas like rockporter etc
Old August 26, 2017   #9
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

If I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing in your pictures, then your problem may be stemming from the stems.

In the pictures it looked like you have fasciated main stems -- they look like two stems fused together. I've had this happen twice, a couple of years ago with a paste plant and this year with a beefsteak that was grafted. In both cases the plants started out growing great, each produced a couple of fruit, and then they started wilting, shriveling, and eventually dying.

Both of mine showed the fasciation in the seedling stage, and I've read that it can be caused by a mutation or can be a hereditary trait. I now know it's best to discard any seedlings that show it.

What I discovered with this year's plant is that once the wilting really started, the fasciated main stem had started going hollow, first just on one side. Try gently squeezing the stems where it looks like there are two fused together to see if they're still completely solid. If not, then I'm guessing the plant may soon be done for.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2017   #10
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Where you say to squeeze the stem do you mean at the base? You explained exactly how this plant behaved a couple months ago - a few fruit, then none with wilting shriveling etc. And it is a grafted plant - so I think you nailed it - where to squeeze the stem? and I may try to sever off a couple main ones as experimental?
Old August 26, 2017   #11
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryno12 View Post
Where you say to squeeze the stem do you mean at the base? You explained exactly how this plant behaved a couple months ago - a few fruit, then none with wilting shriveling etc. And it is a grafted plant - so I think you nailed it - where to squeeze the stem? and I may try to sever off a couple main ones as experimental?

On mine, I had it pruned to two stems and one stem started getting "squishy" close to where it branched off the main stem. When that stem was obviously dying, I cut it off and that when I discovered it was half hollow. Eventually the main stem started going hollow as well.

And the paste plant it happened to a couple of years ago was not a grafted plant, so it can apparently show up regardless of whether or not it's a grafted plant.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote